ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Advice Please..Is a .223 a good caliber for Coyote?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:00 pm 

Hello

I am in the market for a rifle. I like the Kel-TecSu16B, It folds in half and loads AR-15 mags. I think the AR-15 is a great rifle but want something different. My main purpose for this rifle would be varmint/ predator control.

Questions:

Would a .223 stop a Coyote quickly or would it just wound/maim the thing and make a mess?

Is a .223 overkill on say a squirrel/ gopher?

I like the look and length of carbines but what do you, the more experienced with rifles, recommend for an animal the size of a coyote?

Post subject: re: Advice Please..Is a .223 a good caliber for Coyote?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:05 am 
.308 cal

check out the savage line of rifles. good rifles, at reasonable prices. l and r hand. many packages or just rifle to choose from. go to budsgunroom.com (i think) to get best price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:22 pm 
.50 Caliber

Mossman500 I think the 223 is at its best with coyotes and gophers,it kills well out to 200 yards from my experience,thats as far as I have had the chance of taking a coyote,he fell at the snap of the rifle.It will be over kill on squirrels though,I like a 22 rimfire for them.
As far as rifles as jcwat said the Savage guns are a real good bargain.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:00 pm 
.223 cal

As always, shot placement is paramount.
depending on the bullet, .223 is good for small deer down to rabbit.
I think its over kill for rabbit, but with a 40 or 45 gr bullet it will do the job nicely

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:17 pm 
.50 Caliber

:D Something that you could also consider is how far will you be shooting coy dogs. :roll: There are places I hunt in Az. that a .223 would do fine, because most shots are less than 200 yards. Not that you cannot hit them farther with the .223, but it lacks power to put them down for keeps. They are among our toughest game to kill. A wounded one will go for a long ways. While they are predators they deserve to be taken with as little pain as possible. If you are calling and shooting coyotes close, then it should work fine. BUT for my coyote shooting here in the plains of Wy. and Mt. I like the big .22's. a .22-250 or a Swift are among my top picks but I usually use them for dogs under 225 yards or in areas that I need a highly explosive bullet. They will hit a coyote much farther, but the loss of energy and wind make them less than top choices for long shooting. For shooting a longer ranges my pal likes his 6mm, use my .25-06, but when the wind kicks up or snow makes longer shots possible we both put either a 7mm Mag. or .300 in the gun rack in the pick up. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:21 pm 
.22 cal

Mossman, just hit the bugger! if he goes off into the bush and dies a slow and painful death, fine. he's dead!
Sorry, that was the vengeful rancher in me comin' out.
.223 is fine within its range. My hunting partner kills them with regularity out to 400 with a .223 Ackley Improved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:46 pm 
.308 cal

Get a .223 with a 1:9 twist and you can shoot up to 69 grain bullets. They have a little more "rainbow" trajectory, but with a range finder, you can still place your shots.

The upside is that the heavier (60 grain +) bullets carry a whole lot more punch at long range, and they are not pushed around as much by a crosswind. I've taken coyotes at just shy of 440 yards (across a 40-acre field) with the Sierra 60 grain Varminter loaded just a bit under max, and I have no complaints about the way it puts 'em down.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:41 pm 
.50 Caliber

:D wwb, We have had limited success getting coyotes to be still long enough to use the range finder system. Plus, how do the 69 grain Serria's open up on game. I tried the .25 cal. 100 grain version of this bullet and it was a poor killer. Almost like solids. :oops: :cry: I have some 69 grain I bought for a .22-250 AI, but shelved that project for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:12 pm 
.22 cal

yea a 223 is a great caliber for coyotes and rodents. It'll shoot far enough so you can reach out and touch em at atleast 150 yards. Another flat good caliber for coyotes is a 243. I think dpms makes a semi in that caliber.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:31 pm 
.308 cal

WCH -

My only use for the 69 grain .224 dia bullets has been target shooting. There, I shoot the Sierra Match King.... it's strictly a target bullet, but there are ballistic tip and hollowpoints available in the 69 - 70 grain weights.

For coyotes (and woodchucks), I stick with the 60 grain Sierra Varminter. It penetrates and expands well enough at 400+ yards that I've never had a dog go more that about 25 yards, and never needed a second shot to finish one (once in a while, the first shot is a clean miss, but we won't discuss that)

With 25.5 grains of Reloder 15 out of a Savage 12FV, I get muzzle velocities from 2995 to 3025, and the 60 grain is heavy enough to carry that velocity. I can get almost 3900 fps out of a 40 grain bullet, but it's not much good past 200 yards, as it sheds velocity pretty quickly.

Ranging is not a problem.... from the blind to the far woodline is 440 yards, dead nuts.... a square 40-acre field. Also, a few other landmarks are pre-ranged so we know the yardage (close enough, anyhow) as the dog passes the landmark.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:03 am 
.22 cal

I hunt with a .223 for coytoe ,whitetail and hogs. In my opinion the .223 round is one of best all around round when money is tight. My .223 stays in my truck 24/7 its yielded more kills than any rifle on the farm. I like the carbine in just about any rifle in fact my first time with a .223 was a Remington model seven youth and I bought it when I was 20. The shorter stock made it easy to carry in the truck, tractor, and ATV. The savage has the better trigger but check out the model seven , markII, encore,and a AR with a 1-8 or 1-9 twist carbine will surprise you. Even factory ammo. and remember larger whitetail hit em high in the neck.[/quote][code][/code]