ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: .458 2" American
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:42 am 

This is a .458 X 2" American built on a Ruger flat bolt short action. Basicly a 45-70 on steroids. Burris 4X Compact post scope with Warren QD rings.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for 500 gr Spitzer style bullets? Every source that I can find is out of stock or on back order.

Thanks!

Last edited by RAS on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: .458 2" American
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:09 am 
.308 cal

:) That rifle has a coolness factor of about 97.5 out of a possible 100. Looks mean :twisted: ! Where are ballistics found on the web?
thanks
///olde 8) pharte///

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Midway USA has Woodleigh 500gr Protected Point. They would be perfect for your rifle, IMO.

:shock: Like the gun :shock: 8) 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:58 pm 

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the slow response. Been working 12 hour days and then came down with somekind of crud.

Here's a ballistics table for it. http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w458x2.html

Thanks for the heads up on bullets.

I got this rifle from the well known custom rifle builder, Larry Brace. Larry passed away about a year ago. He built it to hunt Wart Hogs and Cape Buffalo in Africa. He said that it would just flat plant a big hog, with a 350gr bullet.

I doubt that I will ever make it to Africa, but I live in the heart of Roosevelt Elk country, so I'm hoping to get a nice bull with it soon. It is just plain fun to shoot.

RAS

Post subject: Re: re: .458 2" American
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm 
.223 cal

luv2safari wrote:
Midway USA has Woodleigh 500gr Protected Point. They would be perfect for your rifle, IMO.

:shock: Like the gun :shock: 8) 8)

I realize this is a very old thread but someone might read this today so here goes nothing!

The rifle is a good looking one, and well thought out for the cartridge. It is scoped approtietly as well in QD rings and with iron sights. So far this is a fine example of the hunting rifle for anything North America has to offer, ALMOST!

I have no idea what the rate of twist is in the barrel but I can see that the action is an older Ruger which are push feed actions. That is OK in this case because the cartridge is basiclly as stated a 45-70 in a belted rimless case to make it easy to use in a bolt rifle and feed properly. The stock is a good one for North American wetter climates like Alaska, and Canada. This would make a fine woods rifle for moose, or black bear. However, for Grizz, or Alaskan coastal brown bear, this rifle would be OK if used over bait from a tree stand, but the PF action makes in unsuited for dangerous game from a position on the ground.

The bullet you are wanting to use is also not well suited to this cartridge, especially in close quarters with bite-backs. A quality 400 gr bullet is a far better choice IMO, for the 458X2" American, and exasorbates the problem found in the 458 Win Mag, of limited powder capacity for a 500gr bullet. With a well designed 400 gr bullet the rifle would be far more suitable for dangerous game in North America, and would work quite well for Lion on bait in Africa, as well. The 458 Win Mag is hard pressed to use a 500 gr bullet, because of the limited powder capacity, and this cartridge has even less capacity. the 400 gr bullet will be a better choice for this one!