ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: .300 RUM vs .300 WBY
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:36 am 
.308 cal

how close are the case dim. ? is the only difference the added "belt" on the weatherby???

ballisticaly equal for the most part.

Post subject: re: .300 RUM vs .300 WBY
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:24 am 
.223 cal

jcwat,

Going by the data in Nosler 6 it shows that while the two cartridges are similar in length that the 300 RUM is indeed larger in diameter at its base and shoulder as comparing it to the Weatherby ahead of its belt.

Loads for the RUM allow more powder by a small amount.

A lot depends upon the details of the rifle and what its for.

If its just a casual hunting rifle then the Weatherby ammo is going to be much easier to find.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:53 pm 
.308 cal

thanks for the info. after seeing some ballistic tables, the wby is slower at the muzzle but then outdoes the rum over the next several 100 yrds. ????? i also already have wby dies that i use for a friend. all things considered, after .358 project gun is done, and $ is saved back up i guess i start looking for a .300 wby lefthanded. ( probably a rechamber) wby lh are $$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:32 pm 
.50 Caliber

:D jcwat, The .300 RUM is a real horse, I had two, but rebarrelled my 700's for both. I also have a .300 wea, and of course a couple .300 win.'s. The Ultra, will be very hard on the throat of the rifle. After fooling with the Ultra, I liked it, but my rifles had 28.5 inch barrels. We could drive a 150 Nosler BTBT at almost 3,800fps. What a coyote load :shock: :!: I also had a 200 grain Accubond at over 3,300 fps. The best I could do was just over 3000 with the Wea. It has I believe a 27 inch barrel. I will say this, I followed Hagels advice for developing top loads in the Ultra, we used much more powder than the books called for with no problems. I sold both of the rifles to an ex-student of mine. He loves them but is about 6 '6" and built like a gorilla. So the weight is no problem. I guess if I were starting out again with the .30 caliber mags. It would be a toss up between the Win. and Wea. In a 700 action the Wea. will just fit in the mag. The Win. has room to seat the bullet out to touch the rifling. Loaded this way they are pretty close. As the Win. shoots out the throat, you can seat the bullet out farther, and add more powder to increase or at least keep up with the erosion. With the Ultra, or the Wea. you can't do this. :cry: Hope this confused you :oops: :P :twisted: I still have a 700 in the safe and a Douglas .30 cal. blank bought about 3 years ago when I had an urge for another .300 Ultra. So far they are gathering dust. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:14 am 
.308 cal

SO, basically you would go with the win mag over the wby & the rum because of throat erosion. the dif in vel. is small.
by staying with the win mag it would save me $ (not have to rechamber) plus brass would have to cheaper than wby/rum.

i'm having my ruger m77 mkII rebarreled to .35 whelen right now. i guess the savage/rem 700 in .300 winmag will be my next purchase. i plan on adding a muzzle brake, restocking with choate sniper. maybe even rebarreling to long heavy barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:26 am 
.223 cal

jcwat,

Thats quite a rifle your planning. The best of luck with it.

Of the cartridges I am torn as I am not a fan of belted rounds as they don't headspace on the shoulder. When the shoulder blows forward it pulls metal from the expansion web. Now that I got that out of my system and concede that the 300 Win. Mag is used for target shooting lets talk about the rifle.

Of those two actions I prefer the Savage. True I have a couple of 40X's and use them for target competition but what with the Savage now having that adjustable barrel nut you can change a barrel yourself you know and possibly even adjust the headspace.

On muzzle brakes I had one on a M70 and it was so loud that both plugs and muffs were wanted. Even then! Are you going to wear both if the rifle is used for hunting?

The boss system that was on my M70 300 Win. Mag had both a blank and a brake so there was a choice. A brake that would be easy to remove might be wanted.

On one hand I could shoot up a box of ammo with little recoil. On the other hand the blast was bad and it would clear the range.

Last edited by Savage99 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:02 pm 
.308 cal

i'm planning on a "tank" brake. sound and blast will go straight out the sides. BUT, i will also be wearing muffs. this rifle will be just for fun. i'll probably never leave to the woods with it. i'm thinking of using 165gr bt's. basically this will be a long range paper puncher. BUT, it could have other uses like prarie dogs @ extreme range. something i can take to the range and jump up and down and pound my chest about!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:24 pm 

I think it's been said before, but do remember that a brake on a rifle will clear the benches to either side of ya. I've seen folks get plumb upset at our range because of them.

Just food for thought...

HWD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:28 pm 
.308 cal

:evil: they can always leave. no really, i usually go wed. mornings and there is never more than 2 other people there. plenty of room to spread out/away. right now the range is overrun will all the people getting ready for deer season. (mid oct) once rifle season starts it will be back to normal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:09 pm 
.50 Caliber

:lol: jcwat, I would of always take REm action I have NOT looked over Savage. While they may be a fine action, and no doubt they are, unless the action and magazine box are long enough to accept a .300 wea. you will be in the situation of not being about to seat the bullet out to touch the lands. Also most rifle companies have a short magazine box, and a rather long throat. That cuts down pressure, but also speed and accuracy. As some one stated for years the 700 has been the pick of most building accurate rifles on modern commercial actions. I have nothng against Savage, but if you want the most from your rifle I know what can be done with a 700. I honestly would forget the brake. My dogs go with me all the time and shooting affects their hearing also. Dropshot explained one careless round and you can destroy your hearing, a friends, or a pets. Just something to think about :cry: I shot my heavy .300 yesterday, and with a coat design for shooting and ear plugs, it presented no problem. It is a matter of pratice. I don't know what you have as far a shooting situations in Georgia, but if long shots are possible the 300 is great. I often carry it and a light rifle in my truck. the one I carry depends on the country and game I am shooting. :P I know when there is any wind at all, my score on coyotes goes up and stays there when I shoot the 7mm or .300. IF You are going to just punch paper, you might consider the 6.5-284. I am looking at one for coyotes. To me it is too light for shooting heavy game, but for paper and light game, it looks like a winner. :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:37 pm 
.308 cal

that 6.5x284 is like a necked down .30-06 right?(basically) i thought about some kind of wildcat, but so much work to reload. then i thought about wby but now have decided on the winmag. i probably could live without the brake, but if i am going to have a rifle worked over, i might as well have all the bells and whistles put on it. recoil, is not my worry. i hunt with a h&r .45-70 with hot reloads. it is no fun at the range, but i never feel it when hunting. maybe i'll skip the brake, that will give me more $ to upgrade to better/longer barrel.......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:31 pm 
.50 Caliber

:wink: Good idea. :wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:21 pm 
.308 cal

spec on final rifle plan.........
*savage lefthanded 110 series
*30" stainless match grade barrel
*jp tank brake, stainless
*match grade trigger
*choate varmint stock
*harris bipod
*.30-06
*pillared and glass bedded

$325 gun plus $1800 for all parts and labor $2100+

still $1000 cheaper than most shops customs start at.

Post subject: Re: re: .300 RUM vs .300 WBY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:19 pm 
.22 cal

jcwat wrote:
that 6.5x284 is like a necked down .30-06 right?(basically) i thought about some kind of wildcat, but so much work to reload. then i thought about wby but now have decided on the winmag. i probably could live without the brake, but if i am going to have a rifle worked over, i might as well have all the bells and whistles put on it. recoil, is not my worry. i hunt with a h&r .45-70 with hot reloads. it is no fun at the range, but i never feel it when hunting. maybe i'll skip the brake, that will give me more $ to upgrade to better/longer barrel.......

6.5x284 is a necked down 284 win.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:50 am 
.50 Caliber

:lol: j, personally, I think you will not need that long a tube on an 06. From what we have seen even though the barrel on my .223 is 27 inches, it will burn all the powder in the case in a barrel 22 or 23 in. long. My pal cut his /223 off from 26 inchs to I think 23, vel remained the same. I would guess the 06 would gain nothing with a barrel that long except weight. If that is your goal then it would be perfect. :wink: