ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Any local accidents this year yet?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:24 pm 
.50 Caliber

Happens every year,experienced hunters accidentaly make guns fire unexpectedly,step into a line of fire they don't see.Any this year so far where you hunt?

Post subject: Re: Any local accidents this year yet?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:30 am 
.308 cal

Our rifle season for deer just opened last Saturday, and so far, no accidents reported in this area - yet! Hopefully it will stay that way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 pm 

Gun season around here opens the Monday after turkey day.

Theres always some but hopefully less and less. I really kinda dispise the opening day of deer in PA because for so many people that is their one and only day of the year they hunt.

I am the NRA, and I vote.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 am 

Our gun season doesn't open until next Sat. That being said, our bow season started Oct 1 and BP season opened this past Sat. Usually there's some idiot that fell outa their treestand by now, but No reports, as of yet, that I know of. Maybe they all wised up and started using those harnesses that come with the tree stands.

HWD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:20 am 

huntswithdogs wrote:
Maybe they all wised up and started using those harnesses that come with the tree stands.

HWD

Unfortunately - I know more people that DONT regularly use one than I do who use them all the time.

I am the NRA, and I vote.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 pm 

Two towns over from where I live.....

About a month ago, at a dog training event or maybe it was a field trial, a man of 65 was shot in the back by a light shotgun load. The ME determined that while the shotgun blast would not have been fatal, the shock of being shot was to much for the man's heart. He died of heart failure while being medevaced to a hospital. I have no details on how the shooting occurred. My heart goes out to the man that was killed and his family. I also have a deep feeling of sorrow for the man that fired the shot. I would not want to have to spend the rest of my life thinking about having killed someone.

A little further from home....

During this past summer, A club I shoot at in NY from time to time had an accidental discharge in the club house. A man had finished shooting for the day and was getting ready to put his shotgun away prior to going home. He opened his gun, saw what he thought were snap caps, closed the gun and pulled the trigger to release the firing pins, sending a load of #9 shot into the linoleum covered concrete floor. No one was seriously injured, but a couple of guys picked up a couple of #9 pellets and the refrigerator took a few in the door. Snap caps have now been banned inside the club house.

Be careful out there guys! It's not just new shooters that make potentially catastrophic mistakes!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:57 pm 
.223 cal

The local news reported on 4 "accidental shootings" in Iowa last weekend...first opening for shotgun
season! Eighty thousand hunters............way too many for me to get mixed up with :shock:

One person shot themselves in the foot!!!
....... Keep your muzzle pointed in a "safe" direction at all times.

One person shot a deer, the slug went through and hit another hunter in the abdomen..
....... Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

One person got shot in the throat..........oohhh, that must have hurt!
....... Be sure of your target.........

I forget what the other one was.........but, no deer is worth getting shot OR shooting another person.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 pm 

This spring turkey season I believe a seventeen year old was shot and killed by his uncle will turkey hunting by Paxico. Birdshot doesn't kill my butt. :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:46 am 
.50 Caliber

This 2012 deer and elk season saw a hunter get killed by a stray bullet.He was shot in the chest and died on the spot.He was from Superior Montana,56 years old.The paper didn't say exactly where he was when he got shot.Too bad,I hate to hear of anyone getting killed by a sport I love.