ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Remington 750
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:19 pm 
.22 cal

I am the proud owner of a new 700 dollar paper weight. I just bought a new Remington 750, in 308 cal., and don't want you to make the same mistake I did. Right off the bat, upon opening the box, I saw a maintenance manuel for a semi automatic 22 rimfire rifle, a 597, with a sticker on it that said Remington 750. That was my first clue that quality control at Remington might be headed south.
Then, without a maintenance manual, I proceeded to check it out. The magazine jammed in the hole, and I couldn't get it out.
Now, I'm starting to get depressed. I took the Gun back to the gun shop I bought it from, and they managed to get it out, by using a brass punch on the magazine release button. They found the inside release catch to be dry, so they put some grease on it, and now that works ok, not good, just ok. Now, I mounted a new Bushnell Elite 3200 scope on it, and off to the range I went.
Well, I had a little trouble putting in the magazine, but finally got it in. The first shot was on the 25 yard line to sight in the new scope. Guess what? It failed to feed the next round. I thought well, this is a new gun, and they are sometimes a little stiff, and tried a few more rounds, all failing to feed. Then I put 25 more rounds through it, using new factory Remington, and Winchester ammo. Guess what? They all failed to feed, because the bolt isn't coming far enough back to strip the round from the magazine. I took the gun back in at the range where I bought it, and their gunsmith is taking a look at it, and will send it back if he can't fix it.
I am now shopping around for a good deal on prozac. I had a Remington 742, with a Bushnell scope about 25 years ago, that was lifted from my house during a burglery, and I thought it was time to replace it, since it was a wonderful, read never jammed, rifle. Boy times have changed.
Starting to sound like a drunk divorcee now, so I will sign off.
I was looking at the Savage 14 in 308, and now I am sorry I didn't buy it. Might want to think twice if you are considering a new Remington 750.

Post subject: re: Remington 750
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:30 am 
.22 cal

Update on the 750, It's headed back to Remington today, The magazine seems to be not holding firmly in place, dropping a bit, and then failing to feed, anyway, gone for who knows how long. I have tryed 2 magazines with the same result, must be the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:02 pm 
.223 cal

Sounds like a real lemon any chance on a refund :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

WELCOME to both of you! :D Keep us informed as to the outcome re: the 750...

L2S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:40 pm 
.22 cal

Yeah, I could have got a refund, for a 15% restocking fee, but the truth is, I want the gun! It is beautiful! Almost would never find a gun with that wood, without paying a premium. I guess I forgot to mention that part, while I was boiling over.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:44 pm 
.22 cal

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I did get a maint. manual for a 7400, courtesy of my gun shop calling Remington. I can always use the 22 maint. manuel, since I own one of those too. lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:16 pm 
.22 cal

This is actually the Rifle I am looking at picking up too. Hopefully you just got a lemon and its not a problem with the gun itself. All of the 750's I looked at appeared to be OK. I'm looking at a 750 in 30-06

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:48 pm 
.22 cal

Good luck Doug, I did get a few rounds to fire in a row, and I can tell you it gets right back on the target quicky, at least in 308, the recoil is minimal, even ok for a kid. Sweet recoil pad. The gun is very handy sized in carbine, and I'm thinking, stiffer than the 22 in. barrel so less butllet spread. It was putting one on top of the other, but remember, I never made it to the 100 yard line, just shot it at 25yds. to sight in the scope. Anyway good luck, I will probably be about a month getting it back according to the gun shop. Neat gun though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:33 pm 
.22 cal

It is a very nice gun, and hopefully a solid performer when I get it. I have never shot a rifle to date (unless you count a .22) although I have shot a handful of pistols, including a .50 Desert Eagle--I don't think I even came close to hitting the target but I had fun anyways. MN recently redrew the rifle lines so the area I hunt now allows rifles as well as shotguns, muzzleloaders, pistols, and bows. All of the 750's I looked at seemed to operate correctly, but without test-firing them, I couldn't say for sure. I think I may stop in at the other store where I was looking at the gun and see what their policy is regarding returns/exchanges. I'm thinking that as long as I get a good one, I probably won't be disappointed. All of my research seems to point that way. I'm used to shooting shotties, so I doubt the rifle will end up being so bad that I can't stand shooting it (My 12 ga Beretta on 3 inch loads = ouch, but it still isn't enough to keep me from shooting it.)

Hopefully I will be able to pick one up soon, as I would really like to be able to have a lot of time to properly break it in prior to hunting season.

BTW, I am planning to still keep my shotgun (even thought it has a rifled barrel) and use it for hunting as well. I'm thinking I will have the shotgun for in the woods or areas where a shot is likely to be short, and the rifle for areas where there may be an open range. There are plenty of places where we "post" in the woods and a scoped gun is not the best choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:59 pm 
.22 cal

You will be amazed at how easy it shoots, as I said I had the 742 in 308 years ago, without a recoil pad, and it was easy shooting, the r-3 recoil pad is sweet. Turns it into a very easy to shoot all day gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:00 pm 
.22 cal

Well, I got my 750 earlier this week, and I have to say I am somewhat impressed. I am completely surprised at how little recoil there is compared to my 12 gauge, or even my 20 gauge. The first day I got it, I went out to the range and ran 40 shots through it. It shot pretty good, and my shoulder didn't hurt at all afterwards.

Yesterday I went out to the range again with a few different kinds of shells, and all was going well until I had a shell fail to eject. I *THINK* I dropped the shell before I loaded it and that is the reason why it jammed. I had about 40 shots on it. I cleaned the barrel and chamber throughly after dislodging the shell (had to go buy a rigid cleaning rod for it since I only had a boresnake) but I haven't fired it since. The retrieved shell had a notch in it at the back (presumably from the bolt trying to pull it out) and there was a small divot in the casing itself. I chambered another round and it extracted it fine, so I suspect the problem was either that it was infact dropped and damages slightly, or that the chamber got dirty rather quickly.

I also think I need to spend the money on a better shooting stand.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:59 pm 
.22 cal

Congrats on a good shooter! Mine has been at Remington for a week, and other than a repair number, they can't tell me anything about it. They aren't supposed to talk to me, since my gun shop mailed it to them. They can either talk to me, or cut the check for a refund as far as I am concerned.
Anyway, sounds like you got a good one, and I am sure you will enjoy shooting it. It is one soft shooting gun!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:42 pm 
.22 cal

No doubt, I barely even feel like I've been out shooting after a session of 50 rounds or so, and CHEAP compared to a shotty too!

I must have had a bad round or something, because I pumped out another 30-40 rounds without a problem, and they were also nowhere near as dirty. Must have been just its break-in period.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:49 pm 

congrasulations on your 750 woodsmaster. I too have a 750 in .30/06 carbine. with the 18 1/2" barrel, it is extremly quick handiling. right out of the box I had problems on the first magizine, every shot I fired, would not extract, and the next shell hated to load. :x after 25 shells, the gun is cycling great,l and is extremely acurrate, from a rest, 1/2"groups at 100 yards.I mounted it with a Bushnell banner fixed 4 power scope, it is a beutifull looking rifle, with a vary stylish montycarlo stock.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:51 pm 
.22 cal

100 rounds and only one failure to extract. I can't complain. I am also surprised at how little "kick" it has, but then I have never shot a large rifle before so I don't know how bad it really is and how much the R3 recoil pad and semi-auto mechanism really takes away.

Definately a nice rifle.