ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to make guns more accurate
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:19 pm 
.50 Caliber

What can a normal person,not a gunsmith,a person with a good head on his sholders and some mechanical skills do to make any gun more accurate?Drop-Shot

Post subject: re: How to make guns more accurate
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:32 am 
.50 Caliber

Hey wwb,you seem like a reloader that could answer this,What is the best powder for the 45/70 and does it take the large rifle primers.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:52 am 
.308 cal

Well D-Shot, that is a bit like asking what can I do to make myself more attractive, depends on a lot of things. What kind of accuracy are you getting now and what things have you tried previously? In most factory rifles, 1 1/2" ain't bad at 100 yards and many firearms will do better if set up properly and the shooter does his/her job. I don't want to criticize anyone's mechanical abilities but proceed with extreme caution when tinkering with the innards of a firearm, bear in mind that the action and barrel are essentially pressure vessels and have definite design limits.

Some things to consider if you ain't already tried:
1) Try different loads/bullet weights. Not all loads shoot with the same accuray in a given firearm. This is an easy thing to do and often proves enlightening. It solved a problem with my old 25-06 with little effort and I watched 5-6 inch groups shrink to 1" on average at 100 yards.
2) Check trigger pull. If it is too heavy this can lead to poor accuracy for folks such as myself. Unless you really know what you are doing and are willing to bet your safety and that of others on this ability, let a gunsmith do the actual adjustment, cost for a smith to do it is around 50 dollars which is not bad when you think about it. Folks who thought they knew more than they really did and decided that the manufacturer was at fault for their own bungled efforts have given us the "lawyer triggers" bemoaned in many forums. The Savage Accutrigger is the one notable exception to this but I am assuming that you are talking about a non accutrigger equipped firearm.
3) Check the stock for pressure points. Free-floating is another option but this could get more involved than what you are prepared to do and may want to have a gunsmith do this. This is one of the reasons why I like Savage rifle as they are free floated and I don't have to worry about stock swell pushing on the barrel when wooden stocks are used.
4) Check your trigger squeeze with some snap caps, obvious but if you are yanking rather than squeezing, throwing fixes and money ain't going to do much good.
5) Check your scope's point of impact, on some scopes the POI can change with the power setting. I see this on an old Widefield I still use (was my first scope so I can't bear to part with it).
There are a bunch of other things one could consider but the above are reasonable to low cost options that seem to work on most firearms. Also check your mounts and rings and whether the scope is leveled, sounds trivial but can have a major impact on accuracy and they can work loose over time. Chat with your local gunsmith and have him/her give your firearm a detailed inspection, even if it costs a few bucks, this could give you some more effective ideas to consider.

Hope this helps. Have fun and safe shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:59 pm 
.50 Caliber

mountainview I have been reloading since 1972 when I got married.Don't read anything into that,I just wanted to wound her.Seriously I am a reloader for the 223,243,25/06,270,30/06,300 weatherby,300savage and 308.That does not count all the hand guns I reload for.I just bought this marlin 1895 cowboy(just sent the rear stock for a custom recoil pad) and have never shot or loaded for the 45/70.I use IMR4350 for 30/06,243,300 weatherby mag so I thought loads around 35000 to 38000 cup would prefer certain powders.I went back to montana and got almost all my reloading stuff but not the manuals.I have manuals dated as far back as 1968.So untill I can get back I need to ask questions or buy new manuals.I am out of a wheel chair now and enjoy the bench work I can do but I'm sure I don't have a slow enough powder to push 405gr and 500gr.If you have a starting and max favorite load for the 45/70 for the 2 bullets I mentioned,I would be glad to hear as I can't afford new manuals yet.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:09 pm 
.308 cal

Sorry, but I can't help you with .45-70 loads.

I know a few guys who shoot blackpowder .45-70's with cast lead bullets, but there ain't much of anything to what they do besides fill 'er up and stuff in a bullet.

I don't have any smokeless .45-70 experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:19 pm 
.50 Caliber

Mountainview I found my reloading manuals,they were in a box I did not expect to find them in.I also found all my notes from past reloads and they go back to 72.My browning blr 243 shoots better than I remmember,5 shots are about 1 inch from outside to outside on fartherst hole.But I still have a problem.I have a bunch of 45/70 bullets I got from my brother-in-law.50 are 425gr and 50 are 500 gr.Both are hard lead and will require gas checks but the only load data I have is for the 350 gr.I see some garretts 420 gr that shoot 1925FPS and some buffalo bore 405gr that shoot 2100FPS.Can we duplicate those loads?I want to be safe and garretts stay in 26 to 27000 psi.I would love to see what powder they use.If you have any data on 425 and 500gr let me know.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:35 pm 
.50 Caliber

Thanks for the reply wwb and I plan to do some black powder loading just because others do it and tell me how much fun it is.I just sent gundoc my rear stock so he can put a custom recoil pad on,and I will have to search for loads for the large bullets I have.I got all my notes and past targets and I have some that shot under 1 inch long ago.When I get better I plan to work up a load for the 45/70 I just bought and hunt with it if I can this year.If not then I will use a handgun,but I did put in for a cow elk tag this year and hope I draw it.I hear of 1000 lb elk but I have yet to see one.I used to work in a slaughter house down south and I got to where I guess weight pretty good.Most I see are 400-600 lbs,with some cows 600-750 lbs.Any way,have a good 4th.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:31 pm 
.50 Caliber

Hey wwb would you do me a favor?I need to know the hardest lead bullets made for 45/70 44mag and 45LC.I read the magazines and they all say they are the hardest,most concrentric and most accurate,Who is the best?Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:41 pm 
.308 cal

Howdy D-Shot.

Glad you found the manuals. Can't provide any more info except that try some different loads and see what works. That is part of the fun of the sport IMO. I know I would rather have all loads cast in stone and shooting one hole groups and know it is a bit frustrating trying to find the holy grail of loads for a shootin iron but in retrospect, this is a lot of what keeps me poorer and happier while making the local proprietors grin from ear to ear when I pull in the parking lot. The means is often times as much fun as the ends.

Have fun and safe shooting. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:00 pm 
.50 Caliber

First you drop it about 4 times, then you beat it against a tree 2 times, then you lay it in the back of your truck and drive on some dirt roads.

Then she will be a shooter :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:54 am 
.50 Caliber

8pointduck,thats sacreligious,this marlin has the most beautiful wood I've ever seen on a marlin and I own several.I know the scratches and nicks will happen one day but I'm sure a few tears will be shed as I remmember when I't was perfect.
y 30/06 looks like it fell off a cliff but I almost never miss animals I shoot at.On the range it does not impress most people.It shoots 1 1/2 in groups at best.I will be changing to 165gr hornadys and will work up a keeper load but the gun looks like it's killed elk and mule deer and white tail deer and coyotes,and hogs and prarie dogs,but I don't care,the first scratch is the only one that hurts.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:21 pm 
.50 Caliber

Now DP, You can't take me seriously.I've never dropped a gun.....oops dang well ok I have now......... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:50 pm 
.50 Caliber

Hey 8pointduck,how far arew you from Abany GA.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:02 pm 
.50 Caliber

I live 40 miles south of Atlanta. Al-benny is a good ways away .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:13 pm 
.50 Caliber

We have friends in Albany(and they do pronounce it funny) we visit when we go down south.They had a son that was alittle younger than me and he died 6 years ago.We keep in touch but just thinking about him hurts,I taught him to hunt,fish.He became a good sportsman and died at 38 years old.I bought golf clubs at the Mcgreger outlet store there,quail hunted and all pecan farmers begged us to come hunt the 4 legged pecan thieffs,no limits,we each took only 6 just in case the land owner was not up to date on regulations.Drop-Shot