ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Where Has All the Ammo Gone
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:20 pm 
.22 cal

Has anyone else noticed how hard it it to get ammo these days. I'm talking about ordering cheap military type from places like Cheaper than Dirty and Sportsman Guide. I have even been having a hard time getting stuff, ammo-powder-primers-bullets, from Mid Way and how about those prices. Nearly doubled in a year. I was at a local gun shop today and the owner told me he was having the same problemss. One distributor said they received 2 40 ft. containers of 9 mm on Monday and were sold out by Wednesday. I don't believe this is all being shot up. I think people are hording it up for hard times. I am afraid we will not be able to purchase large amounts of ammo much longer. The government will put a limit on it. The only reason we have the freedoms we have is because of our guns and ammo.

Post subject: re: Where Has All the Ammo Gone
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:06 pm 
.223 cal

Yup...
CTD jumped all over the "Obama gonna take every gun related item you own" bandwagon and has been gouging prices on everything. even to the point of lying about MSRP.

I have been picking up bits and pieces here and there. I have three gun shops that I drop in on regularly to pick up anything in stock that I might need. Primers, bullets, powder, surplus ammo, whatever.

Just keep your eyes open, its still to be had, just gonna cost a bit more...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:27 am 
Site Admin

It all could be due to a big rise in prices the 1st of the year. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:23 pm 
.223 cal

:D I have not noticed much of an increase yet but I still have a supply. I did buy a 270 win because 303 brit ammo was going thru the roof. One store I frequent has started carrying wolf ammo and it is cheaper than the Rem core locks so I am probably going to buy one or two boxes to try at the range. It seemed to me that overall the old standbys 30-30, 30-06, 270, and a few others were much cheaper than alot of other caliber ammo out there.

Post subject: Re: re: Where Has All the Ammo Gone
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:09 pm 
.223 cal

luv2safari wrote:
It all could be due to a big rise in prices the 1st of the year. :idea:

I know this is true but cannot help but wonder why prices are rising when raw materials have come down.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:28 pm 
.22 cal

good question same thing with shotgun shell i have notic but any ways do u think obama would take a way your guns that you use for hunting / hd / skeet , trap shooting . if he does that gonna be some messed up bs right there

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:17 pm 

I was at Bass Pro & Cabelas & noticed that their were no Primers in large rifle and no tmbler media, everything i was looking for they were out?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:29 pm 
.50 Caliber

remix your fears are being shared here in Montana.If an all out ban on guns came down there would be a revolution of unparalled porportions.There are several groups here that have more guns and ammo than the local National Guard,the military would have to get involved to equalize the situation.There is a buz of even more destructive weapons being produced at homes and even underground by knowledgable folks,RPG type stuff as well as other things.I have only heard the buz.
As for ammo,I can still get some ammo but not like before Obama,all I can see is high prices ahead.I plan on buying several 1 pound containers of the powders I use the most,also bullets,bricks of primers and anything onsale.When January 1 comes around if anything is onsale I will bring it home.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:41 pm 

I hope that they do not interfear with Guns and Ammo I have one sport shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:46 pm 

Today I found it a nice day too shoot, so i took out my 25-06 and shot some 200 yard targets. I am trying this new round that I will have to tweek, but not bad for the first loads. It is a 75 Grain V-Max with 4350 IMR. 2.00 Inch groups in a 700 Sendaro Fluted S.S barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:32 pm 
.223 cal

rumor mill is gun control has become ammo control.

I think between a downturn in the economy, an uncertain future, a spike in raw material prices, and a dried up surplus supply has basically taken alot of manufacturers by surprise.
No one wants to be stuck with inventory they cant legally sell except to a small market at potentially fixed prices...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:14 am 
.22 cal

lucky im stocked up on shot shells for 12 and 20 besides having a almost full brick of 22lr rounds so i should be good but who knows

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:14 am 
.50 Caliber

I don't know where you guys are but ammo availability is better than in the recent past and prices have been trending downward for the most part.
For example, 22 LR bricks in the form of Remington Thunderbolt has dropped to under $15/brick locally which is the same price or maybe slightly cheaper than the loose bulk packs by anyone else. The bulk packs may have a few more rounds but they tend to not be as accurate (at least in my guns) and I have a fair number of misfires with them. As for centerfire ammo, 223 Rem is readily available and has dropped about 25% in the last couple of months. One can find 55 gr FMJ rounds from PMC, American Eagle, Rem/UMC, Winchester White Box, etc. on the shelves in the $7.50-$8.00 range. Even Wolf can be found and is running in the $5 area. Same for 7.62x39 Wolf, I recently bought a case at $4 a box, not much different than a couple of years ago. Federal Blue Box ammo for common rounds such as 30/06, 270, 243, and 308 have dropped to around $14 a box and if one turns in the rebate form, they get back another $5 per box. 30/30 runs $2 a box cheaper with 7mm Rem mag and 300 Win mag running that much more. Remington Core-Lokt in the same calibers are a dollar or so more with Winchester Super-X and Federal Fusion $2-$3 more than that. Both these latter brands also have rebates available, Winchester allows 3 boxes rather than just two.
As for other chamberings, the prices are a lot more but have still dropped noticeably. Those for my 300 and 250 Savages were nearly $30 a box for a while but now have dropped to the $25 and $24 range respectively. I actually found some Remington 270 gr Core-Lokts in 375 H&H for $36 which is much better than the $48 the were last running. The standard calibers have seen some price drops in the standard product lines but the premium lines are still fairly high as are the newer "hot" chamberings in any brand. One pays a price for "new" in many cases. I have even seen price drops in some of my obscure chamberings, 22 Hi Power by both Norma and Sellier & Bellot have dropped, Norma from $56/box to $42 and S&B from $20 to $16.50. The S&B are OK in my guns but the Norma is much more accurate. I also think the Norma bullet is a bit tougher and a better choice when used on game at the large end of the appropriate sector.
There has been a drop in the availability of Surplus ammo, much of it has already been sold (especially in the case of older military ammo no longer in service) or in some cases, such as that from South Africa, not as easily imported. there were also a lot of Third World sources for modern rounds such as Guatemala for .223 but those factories are not in continuous production at the moment. There is also a bit more leniency in meeting "specs" for military ammo than in the past, tht is a large reason there was so little domestic "seconds" for a while. Now with either production catching up to demand or demand lessening there are more "seconds" appearing on the market though the prices are still fairly high.
Shotshells have also been dropping, DICK'S has shown a dollar a box drop in Remington Gun Clubs and Game Loads as well as a similar drop in the higher grade lines like Remington STS and Winchester AA. They are still gosh darn expensive but at $5 a box for the former and $7.50-$8 for the latter, it is less than it once was.
Handgun ammo is in a bit of a flux, some like the 9mm and 45 ACP have seen fairly decent decreases in price while others like the 40 S&W, 38 Spl, and 380 ACP have seen little change. The 357 mag may have even gone up a little in price, it has been so long since I bought them I can't be sure.
I will say ammo availability of some has decreased but that I feel is mainly due to the time of year. Most hunting seasons have ended or are soon to do so up here and that means little demand for a while. Stores have been stocking up on what is currently in demand and soon will turn more toward fishing and camping equipment as those seasons approach. I don't see the ammo situation changing any until towards the end of summer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:19 am 
.50 Caliber

Uglydog,where is the bulk ammo I bought 3 or 4 summers ago?I bought 4 cases of 7.62x39 for 105.00 each,4 cases of 223 for 195.00 per case.A brick of 22lr was 11.00 per brick if bought in a case,several of my friends and I went in on bulk to save money.I have not even seen a case of 5.56 or 223 ammo available at any gunshow,to order in the mail you have to pay a hazardous fee and that puts the cost above local prices.8.00 per box of 223 is a good price but from 3 or 4 summers ago its more than doubled.A 1000 round case goes for close to 400.00 now and if you pay 8.00 per box you will spend 400.00.
I think our stores shelves are nearly bare due to ordering the high price ammo and most of it is still on the shelves. One of the major owners says he waiting to hear what the new genuis is going to do before they invest in things that might become illeagle in a few months.Saying nothing has changed and all is swell is putting your head in the sand is my opinion.Still friends and your welcome to your views.Drop-Shot

Post subject: Re: re: Where Has All the Ammo Gone
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Drop-Shot wrote:
remix your fears are being shared here in Montana.If an all out ban on guns came down there would be a revolution of unparalled porportions.There are several groups here that have more guns and ammo than the local National Guard,the military would have to get involved to equalize the situation.There is a buz of even more destructive weapons being produced at homes and even underground by knowledgable folks,RPG type stuff as well as other things.I have only heard the buz.
As for ammo,I can still get some ammo but not like before Obama,all I can see is high prices ahead.I plan on buying several 1 pound containers of the powders I use the most,also bullets,bricks of primers and anything onsale.When January 1 comes around if anything is onsale I will bring it home.Drop-Shot

D-S...

...you been pfarting around over near Noxon again... :roll: