ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: X-Bolt vs A-bolt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:27 pm 

My son is looking for a .270 Win. for deer hunting in SC.

He has resolved that he likes the Browning A-Bolt, but can you tell me what the difference in the A & X Bolt are?

Is this difference significant?

Post subject: re: X-Bolt vs A-bolt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:14 pm 
.223 cal

I don't have an x-bolt but have several A-bolts. From what I can tell the differences are more cosmetic. If I am not mistaken the x-bolt has a detachable magazine.

I am not sure of all the differences but I would suspect that either of them would shoot well enough for a hunting rifle. My A-bolts are certainly accurate.

I also seem to remember there was a difference in the stock, the x-bolt felt a little trimmer over all.

I am sorry I am not much help on this but you should be able to get some details on line.

I have the a-bolts but I much prefer a Remington 700 or Winchester 70. I can't tell you why though.

Post subject: Re: X-Bolt vs A-bolt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:33 pm 
.22 cal

X-bolt = plastic magazine, cosmic shape to stock and pad, some other plastic parts, timmer in weight and feel.

A-bolt = all steel.

Don't be confused by price. Buy the A-bolt.

j870sm, please explain why you like the Remington 700 more than the A-bolt. I am curious. The Winchester 70, now there is a gun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 pm 

I bought an X-bolt last year and have some experience with an A-bolt. Let me say that the X-bolt is very user friendly. It's a very natural shot, as my father, who never switched-off the safety on mine, shot 2 deer the day I gave it to him in the field in exchange for his less appropriate 243. One he shot trotting at about 100+ yards. This is a 77 year old man who has trouble with rifles fitting him. He loved it and if he wasn't penny wise and pound foolish, would have bought one over the summer.
I find the X-bolt a lower-profile, lower center of gravity rifle. It is much more ergonomically agreeable and extraordinarily comfortable to shoot. I understand that some people get freaky about the removable magazine. Get 2. Better yet, keep the damm thing clicked into your rifle until you take it hunting. At the worst, you have a single shot.
The bolt handle release is super-natural and very nice.
After buying it in a pinch of sorts and not having had long to consider it before-hand, it has become my go-to, grab-and-go, bang-stick of favor. I have a load of confidence in it.
It hasn't been as clover-leaf accurate as I had hoped. I futzed around with a lot of different hand loads, but nothing gets down to 1 inch at 100 meters. But it's better than my M77 7X57. The X shoots about 1 1/4 groups. Maybe a super-expert at reloading might help get that spread down.

My next 2 rifles, IF I don't buy another shotgun, might be a BLR 358 and a good possibility of a 7 WSM in Xbolt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:42 pm 
.223 cal

Waterengineer,
I just like the feel of the 700 better all the way around.

Sylvaneous,
great writing on the X-Bolt. Enjoyed reading your comments.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:19 pm 
.223 cal

I like the 700 better also, but helped a fellow sight an X bolt in and it shot great compared to an A bolt. I sold my A Bolt because it would not group very well, but this X bolt shot -1.00" group the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:21 pm 
.22 cal

I own both an A-Bolt (22-250) and an X-Bolt (7mm-08). I have shot the A-Bolt for 20+ years and have now shot the X-Bolt for one year.

There is much good advice above and some misinformation. The X-Bolt is the better rifle for the following reasons:
1. Composite (not plastic) magazine with no hing plate to fool with. These beauties feed shells like a machine gun. I have dropped the A-Bolt steel magazine off the hing plate in the snow and it is not fun. I would love to race you changing magazines just let me use my X-Bolt.
2. Bolt release button. You can release the bolt with the saftey on.
3. Better optic mounts.
4. Better barrel bedding.
5. Much better handling.
6. Excellent recoil pad.

Don't fall for the buy steel baloney. Composite is killer good and the X-Bolt is way better than the A-Bolt. My next gun will be an X-Bolt again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:52 pm 
.22 cal

Just as a follow up. I did order my next gun and it will be an X-Bolt Composite Stalker Carbon Fiber .223.

I do understand the affection for the 700. I own a BDL in .270 and I love it as well but I now prefer the X-Bolt to them all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:30 pm 
.22 cal

Follow Up:

This new X-Bolt .223 shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards with first shot Lapua brass. It only gets better on the 2nd shot brass!

Tack driver!