10/22 mods

Discussion in 'Sturm, Ruger & Company' started by markIVbigblock, May 12, 2004.

1. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

well i figure ill be the first to christen this category since i love ruger i wanna get new 10/22 and modify my old one i only have enough money right now to probably put a thumbhole stock and a bull barrel on it who do u guys think makes the best bull barrels? and for future reference what are some other good mods for this gun that i should look into when i get a little more cash thanx

Aaron

2. Tick

Tick Member

Butler Creek & Green Mountain both make good barrels for the money.
    Whistle Pig makles a good light weight barrel thats more pricey but still cheaper than others .... the V brand.
    I used a Hogue stock for a long time with mine & liked it till I found a red,white,& blue fajen on ebay.
    I had a gunsmith friend of mine do the triggers on a few of mine....but the aftermarket stuff would not be all that difficult to install at home.
    Warning once you start tricking out a 10-22 it can become an obsession ....I'm working on my 4th now!
    Good luck & post back with what you end up with.

3. markIVbigblock

tick i need ur expertise again Im looking at bull barrels and they have steel or carbon fiber I know carbon fiber is lighter but is there any other advantages to either of them? weight really isnt an issue so if the steel is just as accurate then id rather go w/ it since its cheaper another question I have is does jeweling the bolt enhance the performance any or is it just a thing for looks? thanx

Aaron

4. Tick

Tick Member

Aaron I'm no expert but I'll try to help.....
    The carbon fiber & aluminium barrels save alot in weight thats their biggest advantage ...the steel & stainless steel barrels are probably slightly more acurate& durable.
    I have 4 10/22's with the 920 diamiter bull barrels 2 are stainless one has an aluminium "Whistlepig" & the 4th has a the V brand carbon fiber barrel...they are all more accurate than I am :shock:
    As far as the bolt jewling it's just for looks but it adds something to a 10/22 that makes it look alot classier.
    I had one of my bolts on the 10/22 fluted & it seemed to spped up the action a bit but did it looks.
    Aaron you might want to check out rimfirecentral.com
    Jay your forums are great & better than the rest but if you want to build a 10/22 they have it all.
    Hope this helped

5. markIVbigblock

Tick is the reciever on the standard base model 10/22 aluminum? and if i was to strip the blueing off the reciever because i wanted the natural finish of the metal what if any type of coating would I need to put on it to keep it looking good? thanx

Aaron

6. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

Re: re: 10/22 mods

Have you considered a stainless 10/22? It would be alot more durable than a bare metal gun.

7. Tick

Tick Member

Aaron the receivers on all 10/22's are aluminium....even the stainless models except the 10/22 Magnum receivers are steel.
    They "the L.R. models" are painted either silver or black to match the barrels.
    I took a wire wheel to one of mine and hand rubbed it to a nice polish.....but have never clear coated it yet to preserve it.
    Just rub in more (Mothers Mag Polish) to shine it up from time to time.

8. markIVbigblock

thanx tick but the more i think about it i think im gonna send it out to be anodized bright blue 8) im sorry to keep bothering u but ive heard of bedding rifles before but im not familiar w/ the procedure maybe u could give me a quick overview on it and how hard it would be to do myself? thanx

Aaron

9. Tick

Tick Member

The anodized receiver would look cool .... got me thinking.
    I can't help you on the bedding since I haven't got that technical on mine......The aftermarket stocks I have bought are pretty much ready to go right out of the box other than some light sanding in the barrel channel.