.17 or .22?

Discussion in 'Small Bore' started by pigeonhunter, May 11, 2004.

1. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Well-Known Member

I'm finally going to buy a rimfire but am still trying to decide on which caliber. It will be either a .17 HMR or a good ol' .22. Any thoughts?

2. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

Don't forget the .17 mach 2.

3. clayshooter25/25

clayshooter25/25 Well-Known Member

I vote for .22. You can find ammo anywhere at a low price. It also shoots flat and it has no recoil. What else could you want?

4. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

Ditto on the .22, my usage for a rimfire is more for plinking and some target shooting. The .22 give you more bang for the buck. Now if I can just get off work early enough to buy a Ruger 10/22 from the local gunstore

PS - if you ask me the same question after I buy my rimfire, I'll probably vote for .17...just because you can never have enough guns :D

I also want a .20gauge...ops wrong forum :lol:

5. pigeonhunter

I got the .17 bug too bad to buy a .22 :oops:

6. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

Just got back from one of my local gun stores...got a 10/22 on order. Probably could have waited and got one cheaper when Wal Mart got one it...but I'd rather support a local gun store. Besides, I'm planning some modifications on it, so it will be easier for me to have the gun shop work on it. The two gun shops here refuse to work on any gun bought at Wal Mart.

7. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

def. .22 WAAAAAAAAY cheaper to shoot i can buy 500 rnds of .22 for the price of 50 .17 HMR

Aaron

8. chips

chips Well-Known Member

so, what advantages does .17 have over .22?

9. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

The only advantage that the .22 has over the.17 would be the price of ammo. The .17 is a lot faster and flatter than the .22 or .22 mag. I think its a little better suited for varmits.

10. pigeonhunter

It would be great for varmints but in my hands it's bye-bye bunny 8) :D

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

definitely the 22. and as for my name, i also use, lip, dlip, ifitfliesitdiesdlip, big lip, waterfowl stud, and duncan

12. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

Re: re: .17 or .22?

How come you don't register?

13. IRISH9

IRISH9 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a .17 rimfire but was a bit horrified by the price of a box of unreloadable ammo (I know you CAN reload rimfires if you really want to :roll: ). I think the old .22 lr is pretty hard to beat , after all how many designs of ANYTHING are still made in massive quantities after almost 150 years :) , and you can buy a 50 pack with your small change .
    I'd go for a .17 Rem or a .222 if a .22 or 22 magnum couldn't do the job.

14. UltraMag

UltraMag Member

I agree with Irish9 on the .17 remington if you reload, i load my .17 remington down to .17hmr levels with about 7grs of blue dot powder and a 20gr hornady v-max bullet for probably close to the same price as .17 hmr ammo,yet i can churn that same 20gr v-max bullet up to 4350 fps if i want to :shock:
    And i can also load 30gr gold bullets from the woodchuck den with a B.C. of .280 for awesome coyote medicine.
    That's versatility.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Buy both, marlins aren't that expensive.

16. j870sm

j870sm Well-Known Member

I can't tell if I got much with my 17 or not. I have been shooting yotes with a 22 mag for awhile with excellent results. I went in to a local gun store intending on buying some new arrows and ended up with a 17. I like what I have read and heard about it and everyone says it is better on yotes than the 22 mag but I ain't believing it yet. I have shot 3 with the 17 and have not been impressed thus far. I will try some different ammo and see.

17. wired

wired Super Member

Go for the .22LR, because you'll use it a lot more (less $$$ per !!!). Plink with it, teach people to shoot with it, shoot small game with it at reasonable ranges, punch very tight groups on paper with it, etc. It'll probably end up being the most-used firearm you own.

18. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Member

I presently own a tricked-out 10/22 .22LR. I am presently looking at .17 HMR's. I have hit woodchucks out to 60 yards and had them run away on me. I have shot a friends .17 HMR out to 100 yards and the chuck did not move at all. I like that. I find the .17 to be a heck of alot more accurate at 100 yards also. I can not wait pick on up. I am just trying to pick out a gun that I am going with.

19. grimel

grimel Well-Known Member

Have you tried the hypervelocity 22lr? I found them to be MUCH better on anything coon size and bigger past about 30yds.

20. clayshooter25/25

clayshooter25/25 Well-Known Member