760 .270 ammo question

Discussion in 'Single Shots and Slide Action' started by Anonymous, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

have a gamemaster 760 pump in a .270 (new to me) but the shells that I bought for it don't seen to chamber correctly. they seem to be too long - they measure out at 3.3 inches in total length, casing measures 2.5 inches. when I pump the shell into the chamber I can't get the pump fully extended and the breech seems to still be open since the bullter only seems to seat about 80% into the bore. Am I using the wrong sized ammo?? baffled, but new to the rifle (or anything larger than a .22 for that matter) so its not a suprise...

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

You need to make sure that(1)Make sure that there's nothing in your bore (2) make sure that you've got the correct ammo(are you sure that your gun is a 270 and not a 280 or vica-versa) If all this stuff works out to be okay,Get this gun to a gunsmith SOON! DO NOT FIRE IT!!!! Something ain't exactly kosher in pickleville here!

HWD

3. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Take the gun apart and make sure everythings in order if everything is fine there is two things you should do:

1. By different brands or brand of ammunition.

2. Take the gun to a gunsmith.

4. Buck

Buck Member

i had the same issue, It is not the bullet it is the barrel has loosened from the receiver. I The first shot out of the spout is fine but you can't cycle the second? I tried to have it pressed back in but it wouldn't hold and got loose after a couple shots. Remington wouldn't beleive it and asked if I was using it for a lever/jack!!!! Another way to tell is if you can't get a good pattern on sighting in, also asked if I was shooting handloads that were beyond spec (no)/. I ended up tossing the gun, unsafe! I bought a Weathermaster 7600 in 30-06 and am happy/ I have shot these pump guns for 40 years, that carbine was thr first one to ever give me a problem.