Shooting World Forums banner

Action screw torque values for a Kimber Montana?

17K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Drop-Shot 
#1 ·
Just got my new Snap-On Torque Driver. I want to make sure I have the action screws on my Kimber properly torqued.

The Montana has a stainless steel action and a fiberglass stock, and the action is held in the stock with two Torx-head screws. Anyone have any suggestions on the action screw torque values?

Thanks.

--twofer

#2 ·
I do know that when shooting target 22's, that an inch pounds wrench is used in tightening the screws to the same tension.

I think it makes sense, because I have seen heavy handed fellows tighten guard screws way too tight and compress the wood. I always try to realign the screws to the same place when reassembling a barreled action in a stock, regardless of what type of stock. I have a couple varmint rifles and they seem to shoot to the same place when I put them back into the stocks.

Fred

#3 ·
Well, in an effort to lend some insight on setting the torque on the action screws for a Kimber Montana, I searched the internet and found that most people recommend between 50 and 60 in/lbs of torque for the front and rear screws (the middle scew being less, where present) for center-fire rifles. However, the actual number for a particular rifle varies depending on manufacturer recommendations, stock material, whether the rilfe is pillar bedded, etc.

Some sources say to tighten the front screw first, other sources say to tighten the rear screw first, but other sources don't have a preference.

See www.zediker.com/articles/torque.pdf for an introductory discussion of the subject.

Looks like the best answer to the original questions is: "tight enough to shoot good groups without crushing the stock - you have to experiment to find the best value for your own set-up, though."

--twofer

#4 ·
twofer I have been torquing my action screws since the early 70's,45-50 inch lbs and for the action screws I torque to 20-25 inch lbs for bases and the rings at 20 inch lbs.I have found just torquing the action screws has tightened up a group on several rifles,lately my weatherby 300 weatherby mag seemed to shoot over the 1 1/2 inch group they are guarrentied to shoot,I found the action screws were loose and when I removed the barreled action I saw crumbling of the stock on the front screw.I used a dremal tool to flatten the area around the screw and will bed the action till I can afford a new synthetic stock.More than the exact number I feel both being the same is the key.Email Kimber to get their exact specs,I would like to hear their numbers as too much torque can contort the stock if not pillar bedded.Drop-Shot

#5 ·
This from a technician at Kimber for a Kimber Montana rifle:

The torque settings are 45 in/lbs on the front screw and 35 in/lbs on the rear screw. Slightly snug the front and rear screw down and then tighten the front followed by the rear screw.

In case it matters, the Kimber Montana is glass and pillar bedded synthetic stock.

Thanks for all the helpful comments, everyone!

#6 ·
twofer you have a great firearm there,I know they cost more than some rifles but when you have an american rifle company that pillar and glass beds the stock at the factory you expect premieum results and thats all I have heard about Kimber,super rifles.Drop-Shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.