antelope gun

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by markIVbigblock, Aug 25, 2004.

1. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

im thinkin bout goin on a antelope sometime in the future and im considering a new gun im lookin at a 25-06 or a .257 roberts what would u guys go w/? im thinkin either one in a standard ruger 77 or the 25-06 in a stainless stalker. im just curious what ur opinions are

Aaron

2. goldeyeslayer

goldeyeslayer Well-Known Member

I think the 25-06b is to weak, look at something much bigger and don't be afraid to ask the sales person

3. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

Re: re: antelope gun

The salesman where? Wal-Mart, or some blow hard in a gunshop? Antelope aren't exactly tough animals, deer I think are alot tougher. The 25-06 is an ideal antelope cartidge same with the .257. They are both flat shooting and accurate, which is what you want for antelope. I'll be using a .270 in September for them.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I have successful results with a 243 but I keep my shots within 150 -200 yards,most have been taken at 50-75 yards.gwp4ever has a 257 weatherby mag that would be super,but he has taken so many animals with his 270 so he feels right at home with a 270,and confidence is important when we hit the fields or woods.I like the flat shooter over the bigger bullets but that is just me,and as I have stated many times,opinions are like elbows,we all have more than one and we generaly rely on them too much.Just my 2 cents.Drop-Shot

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

The .243 is probably the most popular Pronghorn gun. Remember, these are pretty small critters - a BIG antelope is about the size of a SMALL whitetail deer.

Contrary to one of the above posts, a .25-'06 is way more than enough gun for Pronghorns.

No matter what you get, you're most likely going to have a pretty long shot - - get a rangefinder, know your trajectory, and most important, know your own limitations as a shooter - you owe it to the animal to be certain of a clean kill.

6. markIVbigblock

thanx guys the antelope is light skinned i dont think i should have any problem w/ a 25-06 on one and i know quite a few people that use them for deer so i dont see why anyone would think it too small for antelope imo the 2 cartridges i picked are ideal for the situation im thinkin the 257 roberts just cuz its somethin not everyone has

Aaron

7. ibex

ibex Member

could it be that the comment about the '06 was tongue in cheek maybe pulling our leg? can't imagine anyone seriously saying that.

mike

oh yeah 6mm rem for me.

8. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I leave in the morning for my antelope hunt and will be taking a Ruger in 257 Roberts AKL improved; it is the same as using a 25-06. Use 115 or 120 grain bullets in your 25 bore. Don't go too light! I like Noslers in the 257; they don't fragment.

My second rifle on this hunt will be my Husky in 7X57 AKL improved...shoots the same as the 280 Remington and is about the best antelope caliber around, IMHO. The 270 is a wonderful caliber, as is an '06. I took a nice 84 point Nevada pronghorn with my circa 1937 Win Mdl 70 in 30-06 in 1991. I took my first antelope at age 12 (45 years ago, yesterday) with a Savage Mdl 99 in 243.

Our antelope can be tough critters for their size...don't sell them short on that account. I don't advocate any big game being taken with any caliber under .25; this comes from a lifetime of doing it. I've been very fortunate... I'm not rich; I just find ways to do it...priorities!

A word of advice from an old antelope guide...dress out the animal immediately, and get the hide off just as fast. Do it right where he fell, and don't waste time. You will have the finest meat in N. America that way. If you wait too long, you'll have something that tastes like a goat's hind end. :wink: Try to keep the knives clean. Antelope have a pungent lanolin inside their hair. As you cut the hairs in two, this gets on the knife and taints the meat. I use several knives and several canteens of water to keep the knives clean.

When you get your pronghorn, let me know. I'll give you my favorite recipe for "Antelope Mc Nuggets"...

9. BlackIce

BlackIce Member

All you need is a .300 WBY!!!!! Reach out and touch something!!!

10. markIVbigblock

dude u r gonna learn that that 300 wby isnt the greatest all around gun when u hit one of these michigan whitetails w/ it and after u see the damage it does to the meat imagine what it would do to something 3/4 the size of that deer and thats what will happen when u hit an antelope w/ a 300 wby

Aaron

11. BlackIce

BlackIce Member

I know.... I was just fooling around.... I went antelope hunting in the early 90's and I used a 7mm. And for Michigan WhiteTail.... the ideal caliber I believe is either 30-06 or .270!! I am not a complete idiot! Just looking to give a chuckle!!!!

12. ibex

ibex Member

wwb has made the best statement on this entire thread. "know your limitations as a shooter". we are all making statements like they came down off the mountain on a stone tablet, and the truth is a good quality bullet placed correctly will do the job, but a cannon won't do any better if the operator can't get it on target.
    No matter how tough the critter is they will have a hard time surviving very long with a pill through the lungs, but lots of critters will run off with one through the gut or trying to blow their legs off with missplaced shots.

mike

13. goldeyeslayer

goldeyeslayer Well-Known Member

Ok maybe I was a little of with that one :oops: . I just thought you would be taking longer shot and maybe wanted a little more power, me personally have never shot the '06 but, you could always load, something else down a bit.

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I have a spot no one wants,I have offered to take folks with me but all say it's not worth it.I walk up hill for about 4 hours and reach a huge field and less than 1 mile is a crop of trees.I get up early and get to that crop of trees and take a nap and wait.Some times it happens fast and some times all day and a few times the antelope never showed.But I enjoy the chipmunks and pass the time with memories of past hunts.I have been lucky most every antelope season but not every trip.My back is bad now so I don't know if I can get back to that place,but if I can, the 243 BLR and I will enjoy present and past memories together.Mabe just mabe,we will be dragging down hill a modest animal.Down the rear legs there is a place that the muscle stops and another takes over,down between those muscles is a string gland that has to be removed.There are tapes that show just where it is and how to care for the animal once down.Like luv2safari said get the animal out of the skin as soon as possible and use a game bag.I wish all my hunting friends a great hunting season,be careful so all can talk about things after the season is over.I won't hunt this season but please share your memories with me so I can be there heart and soul.I'll be hunting with all my pals ,gwp I will be right behind you when you take that pronghorn,8point I will smell the spent powder as you down that 10 point,sappy I will be there too,aaron and every one else,wwb I should be having another surgery about the time you are cleaning that 800 pound elk,but my heart is with all you guys,Happy hunting and stay safe.I'm tough as nails so I'm sure I'll make it through the surgery just fine so keep ole Drop-Shot in mind and remmember all the details,thats the only season I'll have.Drop-Shot

15. phideaux_2003

phideaux_2003 Active Member

I've never had trouble dropping white tail in their tracks with a 25-06. I can't praise that caliber enough. Anywhere from 58 grns to 120 grns, all in a tight little package that doesn't kick like a mule. For antelope, I say 25-06. Or perhaps .243/6mm.

Nick

16. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I got my antelope last Sunday. It was out 330+ yards, according to the range finder. I used the 7x57 AKL, sighted in at 300 yards with 130 gr Speer boat tail spitzers running out the tube at 3120 f.p.s. I loaded S&B brass with 55 gr of IMR 4350, using a standard large rifle primer. At 100 yards this old Husky shot 1/2" five shot groups.

I had just put a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 Ballistic Plex on it and set the trigger to a crisp 2.3 pounds. It didn't hurt that I had a good rock as a rest, and there was only a light breeze at my back.

The shot was through the lungs, and the antelope was good enough to take off running toward the Jeep...saved me 1/4 mile more than the one mile I had to carry him out. Even a few steps saved traveling over the lava boulder fields where I hunt are a blessing.

As you hunters score through this season, please let us all know some details of your hunts. Even the near misses and almost got him accounts are welcome and most interesting.

Luv2

17. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

Luv2

Congrats on the goat :D . If you have your rifle zeroed at 300 yards what does it give you out at 400? Just curious.

18. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

With this load I'm 10" low at 400 yards, 3.5" high at 100 yds, and 4.3" high at 200 yds. This gives me a good "hold on target" range to the heart/lung zone out to 350 yards.

I do hold a bit under when closer and a bit over at 350; this compensates for any error in the wrong direction in my shot. :idea: If I were to hold right on at 200 yards but my let off was just a bit high as I wiggled some, I would shoot far too high. :idea: So, while I like the idea of flat shooting rifles, I am convinced that one should compensate for a given range, regardless. If you are in doubt as to the actual range, then hold right on the center of the killing area, but when you know the range...make the change... :wink:

19. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

Thanks.

20. markIVbigblock

luv2 hows that burris workin out for u? ive been curious about them and have been considering one im just wondering what ur experiences were

Aaron