Shooting World Forums banner

Berger bullets

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Savage99 
#1 ·
Anyone use them?I have heard of folks that they feel they are among the most accurate bullets available but as everyone knows we have to have good penetration and expansion also.
Any opinions?Drop-Shot

#2 ·
Its the Berger VLD bullets that are supposed to be good for hunting deer sized game. They say the unique shape of the bullets nose allows penetration but then expansion is dramatic.

I have shot two deer with VLD's and they worked well. Perhaps a link to another place where its been discussed would cut through a lot of repeats.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ds=berger+vld&topic=0&Search=true#Post2353348

#3 ·
:lol: Dropshot, I bought some in.22 cal. but haven't fired them yet, too many other things going on. A coyote shooting pal in western Wy. uses the 115 grain in his .25-06 for a long range coyote load, they worked fine for him. But personally I haven't tried em. Right now I figure I have more bullets than I have years left to shoot, but it is a good feeling to have that many bullets :shock: For years it was a struggle just to keep enough bullets for the next mth. :wink:

#5 ·
:D killbux, did you shoot any game with one??? I shot a small coyote with a 30 grain from my .22-250 IMP. It was a good lung shot. He dropped, but when I got too him he still was alive. I am not sure what happed, there was a small exit, but it worried me. I went back to Serrias, and shot some p. dogs with the Bergers. They worked ok, but that coyote still bothers me. He would have been dead with a serria :cry: :oops:

#7 ·
Yes i shot quite a few varmints with them. At first the bergers where my go to coyote bullets but i then started using them on crows. The first yote I shot with one of the bergers was a big male at 25yds and facing me. The bullet went in the chest and never exited. It turned his vitals to liquid. He died as quickly as i've ever seen short of a head shot. The next coyote was at 433yds and broadside. The bullet didn't expand as i'd hoped it would. The coyote dropped but didnt die as quickly as i'd liked. I then started shying away from yotes with that bullet but for fox and bobcats its lethal. But I think a FMJ from a 25-06 would be too. Its just hard to quit using a bullet that is accurate. At short ranged i didn't notice a difference in accuracy but at 300yds plus it seemed the bergers did much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.