decoying deer

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by Anonymous, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

any tips for hunting deer with decoys? use them of not use them? any experience, and maybe a little explaination.

thank you

2. upstatenyhunter1

upstatenyhunter1 New Member

I assume you mean decoying for archery season. Most, if not all state laws prohibit the use of decoys during firearms season. Although carrying a decoy afield during firearms season may make for some interesting stories if one survives.
    They are a great distraction if correctly placed. Do you want to attract bucks or does?

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Even in archery season be carefull when taking a decoy to the field.I have one friend that was carrying a decoy and his bow and had his decoy shot when he stopped to rest,I guess we have to remmember that not all hunters is playing with a full deck.Drop-Shot

4. stoogots

stoogots Active Member

With the danger involved aside. I'm assuming that you want to attract a big buck. Yes,decoys do work but they have to be used at the right time. I prefer the rut, when the other bucks in the area are at the peak of the rutting activity. I ussually use it combination with a scent attractant. I harvest my own scent from tarsal glands and urine sac from the deer that i kill.

Just make sure for safeties sake to put a blaze orange sash or piece of clothing around it when trasporting it. Take off antlers etc.
    I would get one that looks good but doesn't weigh a lot. If you get one that is to bulky you'll end up not bringin it along.

5. Stu

Stu New Member

I have hunted with decoys for the past three years. The first two years I used a feather flex bedded doe. The does came out first to check it out and I always got busted. Last year I got a buck decoy and twice I rattled bucks into range. I carry it in a large duffle bag and I put the legs into socks to minimize the noise. I skip the scent because it is very important to keep them scent free. I use latex gloves when I set it up.
    Good luck - Stu

6. danurve

danurve Well-Known Member

I purchased a Renzo feeding doe decoy to try this year. It folds up and is also very light. It can hold scent and a phoney tail. "All clear" Hope it pans out. I plan to wear orange when I set it up.