Help with in making a choice

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Anonymous, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I want a new rifle and was going to get a Remington 760 in 358 Win for a bear gun at the cabin. I just stopped in at a pwn shop and saw a Win 94 in .307 that struck my fancy. Unfortunately I can only afford one, I can't decide which. I don't need either but they are both calling me. The Remington is in good shape (75-80%) and is at the high end of the scale at $335. The 94 is in slightly better shape and is going for $220. The attraction of the 760 is it's in 358, a caliber I am intrigued with, and I don't have a real pump (excluding a 742 that was converted to a pump). The 94 is attractive due to price and I've always wanted one (a 94, not necessaily a 307) though ammo availibility is a concern. This would be a shooter for me as I don't think there is much of a collector demand for this caliber. Which should I get and why? Thanks, uglydog

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I can't get past the 742 converted into a pump :shock:

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It was done by Ahlman's Guns in Morristown, Minnesota. On some of the 742/74 autos, the action bars can slip in the reciever. When this happens the bars will damage the reciever to the point that the bars will slip out of place whenever the gun is shot. This essentially junks the gun as a new reciever is needed. When converted to pump, the force is much less and the action bars will remain where they are supposed to be. I believe this conversion costs under $200 which is much cheaper than a new gun. uglydog

4. sappyg

sappyg Member

uglydog,
    This decission seems a completely personal one. This being said I like that 358.
    sappyg

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I was leaning towards the 358 until I found out that the 760 did not originally come in a 358 chambering. This particular gun is a 35 Remington rechambered for the 358. I am not so hot on it now, the price they are asking for it is at the higher end of what it is worth in original condition and the stock is pretty plain looking though it and the bluing are in better shape than I originally thought. I also priced out 358 ammo, locally there is one store that carries it and it runs $28 per box of Winchester Silvertips. That is more than my 375 H&H mag!! The Winchester is looking a little better but even that is a bit high from what the book says (though there are regional differences that the blue book can't take into account) and I haven't found ammo locally yet. I'll have to look it over again, maybe I'll talk myself out of it too.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

hey uglydog I would be carefull cause the 35 is a great cartridge but it's not as potent as the 358win.I still can get 225 gr for 19.00 and when I get mine I plan to reload.Have that gun checked by a gunsmith and as for the 307 I can't find it in my graf&sons manual.You sound like a gun smart guy and let us know what you decide.Drop-Shot

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was a little leary of the 35 Rem to 358 conversion until I remembered that the 358 is built off the 308 case and has similar pressures. I'll wait a bit and see if it sells, if it doesn't sell they may negotiate the price a bit more. I'll also have to look a bit further for 358 ammo, like I said the only local source has Silvertips which are pricey. I'll likely get the 94 in 307, the ammo is hard to find but uses the same bullets and powders as the 30-30 which I already load. It looks like I can sight in to be 1 1/2" high at 100 yards and be only 3 inches low at 200, at least by the tables. It also has about 50% more energy at that range than the 30-30. Talking to the staff, I can get it from them for $200 including tax. I'll talk to the owner on Monday, I can probably shave a few more bucks off that price and get it in the $180 range, especially if I pay for it in greenbacks. Well, there go my winnings from last week! uglydog

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

uglydog if you have spend it,I'm liking the winchester more and more.This week I get to pick up my browning BLR in 358,They have a rule here that any used gun has to be at the used gun place 30 days and I bought it the same day it was traded in.So on the 7th I get to pick up the gun.I own 1 other BLR and thought I swore off brownings when I had a problem with a BAR and won't buy another BAR but I could not pass up this deal.Drop-shot

9. sappyg

sappyg Member

Uglydog,
    That is a good price for 375 H&H shells. In fact, I did passed on a 375 after asking the price of ammo ($52.00 a box here).
    I recall reading about rechambering/ rebarrel 35's to both 35 Whelen and 358 Win and the owners were well pleased.
    I had to look up info on the 307 Win. and it sounds like a real thumper. From what I gathered the case is truely origional and there is no conversion possible from another case. But, at a price of $200 or less it sounds like a real prize.

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Well guys I picked up my used browning BLR in 358 win.I bought a box of 200 gr silver tips for 20.00 and came home.There is not a scratch on it ,just 1 nick in the checkering that i can dress up.It came in the original box,papers,plastic that the gun was in.The rear site is jacked up all the way so it may never have been scoped.Boy do I need a safe.Drop-Shot