kick pad for my deer rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by PSU_FBall06, Aug 10, 2004.

1. PSU_FBall06

PSU_FBall06 New Member

I was wondering what a good kick pad would be for my Savage 7mm-08. I got it last fall, and it wasn't bad, but I've started physical therapy recently because I have a bad right shoulder, and now need a kick pad. Is there a kick-eeez pad for rifles like there is for shotguns? My uncle mentioned some sort of gel pad that fits on your shoulder, but I still haven't seen them anywhere. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Are you asking about recoil pads or some thing you put on your shoulder?I just had a recoil pad installed by greatwest gunsmithing listed on this site as gundoc.He did a perfect job and at a great price.I still have not shot the 45/70 due to just having a back operation but when I can the decelerator pad is what I wanted,it has never had to be improved upon.Go to gunsmithing and restoration on the first heading on this site and ask gundoc.Drop-Shot

3. PSU_FBall06

PSU_FBall06 New Member

Sorry for the confusion, But I would rather have one on the gun, unless someone suggests that the shoulder ones are better. I was just looking for ideas of what I should be looking for, and maybe some brands.
    Thanks, and sorry for confusion

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Some like limb saver,but I emailed a man in the main catalog and he is yet to email me back so I asked gundoc what was the best and he said decelerator from pachmayer.He installed one on my marlin 1895 cowboy in 45/70.I tried to find a prefit for mine but my brother-in-law showed me one for my 870 that was prefit and I bought it only to find out later when I tried to install it,that it hung over my stock!Pre-fit my butt.Talk to gundoc and ask him,he will tell you that pachmayer decelerator is the best and he is a professionel gunsmith,he could install any thing he wants but he chose the decelarator.Ask others as well.Drop-Shot

5. PSU_FBall06

PSU_FBall06 New Member

Thanks dropshot :D

6. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

I prefer the Decelerator also. They are awesome and make a huge difference. From what I have heard, you can't really go wrong with a Limbsaver either.

7. goldeyeslayer

goldeyeslayer Well-Known Member

I have linbsavers on my shotguns and rifles, they work great and dont throw the gun off balance. I also have heard good things about the decelerators, but have never owned one.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey I get the Penn State university_football but what is the 06?I have enjoyed penn state back when joe perturno (misspelled)was a young man..I played jh for 2 seasons and I have wide shoulders and was stuck with the name stump.One defensive end swore running into me was like running into a stump.So I was stuck with that name and would have loved to have been able to go to either old miss or mississippi state.but I had to work,I was a southeastern conferance man.Look for wwb's comment under the heading NEF and he explains why some of us are more prone to pain than others.I saw right away I needed to change my stand for shooting.I personaly don't know much but I sure enjoy talking about guns and hunting.Drop-Shot

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You probably wont need the recoil pad for hunting around Mt
    Nittany in December. I never felt any recoil from shots taken in the field, because I had an old heavy Woolrich coat that absorbed the recoil. Which is why I wore it to the range, no matter the weather.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: re: kick pad for my deer rifle

Just thought I'd mention..I have a Ruger No. 1 in 45/70. I shoot all kinds of rounds through it, but I decided to supe it up a bit and bought some bulk Remington bullets and loaded them over 38 grains (if my memory serves.) of 3031. It was a medium load as shown in my loading manual.

So I took the thing out and shot it.....Wow! The rifle became a canon! Feels like a 458 Win. The rifle is light with a short barrel and it is a real boomer. Kicks like hell. Kinda fun to shoot for about five rounds. But if recoil is any indicator of power I wouldn't hesitate to take it after a big bear.

It carries a standard Silver's style Ruger pad. I think if recoil is a problem put on a Past shoulder pad...for me they work well and you only need one.

I also wear them underneath my shirt, so no one knows I have it on.....vanity I guess.

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Smart man guest,sign up and lets talk,what grain bullet did you shoot?I have 300,350,405,425,440 and some 500 gr bullets.I have not shot it yet but I will soon I hope.I watched a 350 gr soft point go through a car.Through 1 door and interior and out the other door,never found the bullet.I agree,even the biggest bear will fall with the right load.I have some 405 gr laser-cast and 405 gr remington and 440 gr hard cast in mind for that purpose,although the 350 gr jacketed bullet from speer destroyed an old dodge.45/70 is a great old cartdrige,the guy that shot the dodge said,'thats overrated recoil",about 2 days after he still had a sore shoulder from that old plastic butt plate.Drop-Shot

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Recoil with the 45-70

Hi guys, Just reading over a few posts and ran onto ths subject.As you can see by the name I'm fairly familar with this cart.I have quite a few 45-70's,from a new Win.86, back to original trap doors and pretty well everthing in between I use one of those "Past" shields for shooting prone in tgt. matchs,but standing,sitting etc. just use whats on the gun I'm only a small man,170 lb's and will be 60 in the spring.I learned to shoot like most of us ,half assed and forget how many times you miss the tin can.But once I joined the military they taught me a few tricks about hold etc.that helped a lot and once I got on the rifle team I really started to learn.One of the guys mentioned about sitting up straighter at the shooting bench which is a very good point,if you get a chance to look at any Pics. of the "Rigby"guys zeroing double rifles you will see that thier shooting bench is high enough so they are STANDING behind the gun!!I built one like that out at our range and now come hunting season every one is lined up to use it.As for normal shooting I.E.kneeling sitting and off hand ,remember to "get into the gun" as the S. Africians say, in other words pull the gun HARD into your shoulder and place your face HARD down on the stock ,use enough force so your muscles are shaking ,then back off just to the point where they stop.You shold practise this even when you are dry firing at home and with ever gun you shoot, after a short time it well become automatic to do this even with a 22 and you while be able to do it fast without thinking about it .You will find by using this method that few rifles below 458 Wins. will be be a problem and will NOT bruiseYour shoulder.If you think 38g's of 3031 is bad in a Ruger try Elmer Keith's standard load of 50 grains of 3031 this will get your attention!I find that it kicks more than a full house load in My Ruger 458 mostly because the little gun is light and can relly get up some recoil velocity unless you really get a hold of it.That little 95 Marlin can also hop around a touch if you don't hang on .Acouple of ponts on saftey etc. before I shut up and let some else talk .If you have both old and new guns and you are loading heavy for the new ones the easiest way I have found to keep the loads separate is to use nickle brass for your heavy loads and normal for the others.One more note on recoil ,don't try to out macho it, every one seems to have a different level of tolerance[In My expreince little guys seem to do as well or better than big guys]I think it has to do with the fact that bigger people tend to absorb more where a little guy just gets pushed back.Also remember that is has been pretty well proven at this point that very heavy recoil over a prolonged period of time can lead to neck problems {I have it and it is not fun],and also there is some evidence that it can lead to detached retina's.Which has happened to a couple of famous gun writers.The 45-70 is a great crg.that can shoot thogh a hell of a lot more tin than a couple of car doors when loaded with hard bullets,and can whistle though any elk or moose from end to end that ever walked.So hang on and enjoy your selfs.In closing ,if any one out there has a Winchester-Hostchkiss in shooting shape and would like to give it a good home I'm in the market thanks Larry

13. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

BTW: When you go to buy that pad, call it a "recoil pad". If you call it a "kick pad" the gunsmith might just toss you out of his shop.

14. david12601

david12601 New Member

I have a limbsaver and decelerator pads and they are about equal the are on twin custom 30-06 s I shoot mostly from the bench a bout 60 -80 rounds from each every week ......good luck

15. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

David12601...............

The link in over..............it was started in AUGUST of 2004!

You think maybe the person fixed the problem by now??

Geezzz

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Papa I still read old posts,I have a few shotguns that will cross your eyes when shot and I was looking at recoil pads to help with the problem,what works on rifles will most likely work on shotguns I would think.Even if the post is old(like me) it can still offer alot of advise.Papadoodles how have you been?Drop-Shot

17. david12601

david12601 New Member

I just joined this web ring today........I am glad you found it amusing that I replied to something a year old......I guess I should have checked the dates....I was just adding my 2cents glad it gave you something to do

18. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

david12601 welcome and keep em comming,if your a shooter and have opinions then you are welcome here bud,you've found a home.Drop-Shot

19. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

Drop-Shot, reading old post to gleen information is one thing. However, putting in your 2 cents a year after the debate is a waste of time. MINE!!

20. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

But Papa thats all I got anymore,Time,I'm disabled and read alot.I hope to get into the woods this year,not very far,I tried to step over a fallen log about 3 1/2 feet off the ground,I got on top of the log but could not move my legs and was stuck there 4 hours.I felt like Moby Dick, beached and could not move.That was 3 weeks ago and I'm going back out there tomarrow if it kills me,I saw some great signs of black bear,happened on a rancher that begged me to come back with a bear tag and take a huge sow,she chases his cows as they summer on the mountain grass,I think I will.I can come a long a bear in the back of my truck,she is big,her track weighed 50 pounds.Gotta go its getting deep.Drop-Shot