millitary surplus ammo

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by goldeyeslayer, Aug 7, 2004.

1. goldeyeslayer

goldeyeslayer Well-Known Member

I was at a gun shop and noticed they had some millitary surplus ammo. Man it was cheap 4 bucks for 10 rounds. Is this stuff anygood it must accurate amounts. I would just use it for target of couse

2. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

I've shot some of it before and it's fine for plinking.

3. MarlandS

MarlandS Well-Known Member

it really depends on the caliber and the designation of it, if memory serves, SS109 5.56 ammo is the military version of match ammo , supposed to be very accurate.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As stated, it depends on the caliber and the gun. The mentioned SS109 is a 62 gr, steel core .223 round that is meant to penetrate light armor and other objects and it the main service round of our troops. It is accurate in some guns (my captain's CAR-15 and my M-4 likes them) but are not very accurate in others (my Mossberg SSi-1). Much depends on twist rate of the barrel and velocity. In other calibers the results are just as variable. Some .308 ammo I used was very accurate and used a 168 gr boattailed bullet, others used a flat based spitzer and seemed unstable with some yaw evident at the target. There is some "surplus" ammo out there that is below spec for the military or remanufactured with military bullets and powders. These can have variable results down range but can make reasonable plinking rounds if you don't expect too much of them to begin with. uglydog

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

??? 4 bucks for 10 rounds ain't very cheap unless it's match-grade or something else really off-the-wall. Come October, you can buy hunting ammo for a .30-06 or a .308 for $7.99 for a 20-round box at most any sporting goods store. If you shop around and buy in quantity, you should be able to beat that price by a mile. I dunno about .223... I don't have one, and I've never paid any attention to ammunition cost.

Take up reloading, and you'll produce some top-quality ammo for DIRT CHEAP.... provided you ignore the cost of the press, the multiple different die sets and types (I'm working up a good collection of bushings for a bushing-type neck sizing die), the case turner, the case trimmer, the chamfering tool, the powder trickler, the electronic scale, the tumbler, the.....

6. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

I figured he meant 4 bucks for 100.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well I went and bought 50 rounds for $4.99. Apperently I was looking at the .50 cal ammo :oops: , oh well better more than less :D .

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Guest,let us know how accurare they are,just about every thing we do is a try out for all other hunters,so be the ginna pig and let us know.Drop-Shot

9. surehuntsalot

surehuntsalot Member

found some czech 7.62x39 at a gunshop a couple of weeks ago going for 2.99 a box of 20 :wink:
    bought 500 rds for my SKS

10. Smoke 'Em

Smoke 'Em Active Member

When you're pricing ammo, you need to specify:

Caliber

Bullet weight, bullet type.

Primer type -- Berdan or Boxer. Boxer can be reloaded.

Brass or steel case?

Mfg -- Some are decent, some are crap.

Corrosive? Non-corrosive.

Age of the ammo.

Steel case Wolf, berdan primed, 122 gr. in 7.62 X 39 is a whole lot cheaper than 150 gr, brass case, boxer primed non-corrosive, 30-06 Springfield.

Commercial hunting loads for .458 Win. Mag. Federal Mfg. 350 gr. "Cape Shok" bullets run $120 for a box of 20 rds.

11. Smoke 'Em

Smoke 'Em Active Member

When you're pricing ammo, you need to specify:

Caliber

Bullet weight, bullet type.

Primer type -- Berdan or Boxer. Boxer can be reloaded.

Brass or steel case?

Mfg -- Some are decent, some are crap.

Corrosive? Non-corrosive.

Age of the ammo. Is the brass corroded? Do the boxes look like they've been exposed to water?

Steel case Wolf, berdan primed, 122 gr. in 7.62 X 39 is a whole lot cheaper than 150 gr, brass case, boxer primed non-corrosive, 30-06 Springfield.

Commercial hunting loads for .458 Win. Mag. Federal Mfg. 350 gr. "Cape Shok" bullets run $120 for a box of 20 rds.