Montana in bad shape

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by Drop-Shot, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I only went out 2 times,the first was 1/2 of the day with not seeing anything to shoot and the 2ond was for just a few hours.The first day before daylight I heard a whole heard cross a creek 40 feet from me but when daylight hit I didn't see anything.
    The second time I went to my favorite spot all I saw were fresh wolf tracks.I asked game wardens what happened to the game and they say the wolves don't ask where they can go they just go where they want.They said what uglydog said in the past that when wolves are put in a new spot normaly the deer and elk numbers go down for a while then back up as both predetor and prey adjust but these wolves don't know when to quit.They have literaly eaten themselves out of house and home.
    The state of Montana has lost so much income they had to cut game warden wages and most in the Helena office quit.They said if people stop buying licenses more cuts will have to be made.There is just not enough animals to attract out of staters since wolf introduction and they say instate licenses are way way down also adding to the problem.I got my info from a warden that quit and went to the state police.Montana is in a bad way he said.The future of elk and deer hunting is not very bright anymore.
    Anyone get anything yet?

2. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

:D Drop Shot, of course I did not hunt Mt. this fall, but here..things are pretty good in Southern Wy. except for mulies..they are way down..still managed a 3pt..lots of elk, but I usually only hunt cows..no room for really big antlers, so cows are my choice...killed one the 4th or 5th day of season....hope things improve up there...also hope our wolf plan keeps on track...it is time for the states to take over managment of these pests.....Honestly, I would love to see Wy. Idaho, and Mt. pull out of the union and make our own country...

3. 2fewdaysafield

2fewdaysafield Moderator

YES!!!! Too damned cold up there, but under these circumstances I would move immediately!

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

The state of Montana is doing well economicly and has a surplus in state funds while many states run in the red.There are many many folks that would love that idea of becoming our own country.
    If Montana as well as Idaho and Wyoming became our own country what is the first thing you would do?

5. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

Try to convince my wife it didn't snow there and move ...

6. 2fewdaysafield

2fewdaysafield Moderator

Move there!

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Since I am already here I would put a bounty on wolves and stop elk hunting for 2 to 3 years.That would go a long ways to bringing the elk numbers up again.The wolves had done a horrible thing to Montana and I would sue all who conspired to bring wolves here.
    Besides what would you do,what would we call our new country?Keep em coming guys.Mike

8. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

The first thing I would do is run ALL FEDERAL Employees out....Then I would put wolves coyotes, golden eagles, hawks, owls, great blue herons on the varmit list...in addition I would put all welfare people to work cleaning up the highways, maybe I had better stop there.....

9. 2fewdaysafield

2fewdaysafield Moderator

You're going to let them get away?????

Next thing should be a HUGE tax on all non-resident homeowners. NO MORE CARPETBAGGERS!

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey guys.In our new country what do we do with those that break the law?Especialy those that prey on children?Rapists and thieves?

11. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

First, you start with the US constitution. It's actually the best basis for a country's law that the planet has ever seen. Our current federal government seems to be ignoring it quite a bit lately. Even our current system of trial is still a requirement. Now sentencing, has much room for improvement. For rapests and those that prey on children, I don't have a problem with the victim's families picking the punishment and/or form of death.

I honestly don't know how to effectively deal with thieves. There are just too many types and circumstances to generalize.

12. 2fewdaysafield

2fewdaysafield Moderator

The time to go into detail on punishments for specific crimes is not available. And besides....punishments for crimes should be decided by the individual states not by the federal government. I could write 100,000 words and not scratch the surface. Leave these issues to the individual states.

But I think the current U.S. Constitution would be fine....with one amendment added....

"Any power not specifically granted to the federal government in CLEAR and SPECIFIC terms shall be reserved to the individual states." Let the bastids find a "penumbra" in that one!!!!!!! :twisted:

This country needs only make it clear that the Constitution shall be viewed from the point of view that if the Constitution doesn't say it in clear and certain terms then it ain't there and therefor it is up to the individual states.

No more usurpation of the rights of the states by federally appointed judges.

The new country should be a loose confederation of states bound together by common interest....not a gathering of vassal states owned and controlled by the Federal Government or Supreme Court.

13. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Need to get leaders in the state gov'ts that are willing to refuse the federal money with the strings attached. That is one of the biggest ways the feds have to control in the state level.

Most of all we need to be the type of citizen that can't be bribed with our own tax money from .gov -- we're at nearly 50% of citizens (and non-citizens for that matter) taking .gov money for one program or another. Nearly at the point where this can't be stopped at the ballot box.

14. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

Frankly, I'd like to see something set up such that you can't vote unless you actually PAY taxes!
    It makes a difference if you have some skin in the game.

15. 2fewdaysafield

2fewdaysafield Moderator

A good idea, but shouldn't the first step for our new country be that you have to be a CITIZEN in order to vote?

16. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

You're absolutely right. I'm taking too much for granted. In the early days of this country, you had to be a land owner in order to vote. This country's founders did their homework in studying history. They knew that past democracies worked great until a critical number of the citizens realized that they could vote themselves funds from public pools of monies (taxes collected from the "wealthy"). It was thought that the land owners would not be foolish enough to vote for taxes that were so high that they would put themselves out of business.

I was trying to come up with a way to put all the voters in a similar position as that of early landowners assuming citizenship as a requirement for ANY participation in the governing process.

17. 2fewdaysafield

2fewdaysafield Moderator

A reasonably safe assumption. I just though I should mention it since so many states these days seem anxious to have illegals and the dead vote.

18. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

That is so much bullshit! I pay MT taxes through the nose and still have to hunt as a non-resident, even though I own a home there. It is rented at a very fair cost to a local guy and his wife who can't afford to pay a lot. If I were taxed even more than they gouge me now, he would be paying a helluva lot more for that house.

Try again... :roll:

19. 2fewdaysafield

2fewdaysafield Moderator

luv2safari....

I hear you, but this thread was about "what if". Please read the whole thread.

20. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I read it all before I posted. :wink:

We "carpetbaggers" are overly sensitive sometimes, however. :p