OH NO NOT AGAIN

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 8pointduck, Oct 27, 2004.

1. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I'm getting that feeling again :shock: . The one that makes you want another gun.A new bolt action that I saw yesterday. A Browning Abolt hunter . Has matt finish all around and I love a matt finish.The thing is also that I'm lookin at a 300wsm. I'm such a traiter. Some guys its women, with me its guns. I already got a women and that all I can handle :D

2. 1300pump

1300pump Well-Known Member

yea, me too. I cant stop thinking about that hi-point 9mm carbine, I dont know, maybe i'll get the .40 cal.

what do ya think 9mm or .40?

thanks,
    -Tim

3. MarlandS

MarlandS Well-Known Member

The fever has been gripping me too and since I've been seeing so many coyotes from the combine seat I think the next one is to be one of the varmint persuasion. But then which one? Definately a bolt, probably Browning or maybe Remington, but Savages are pretty good too. Then there's the caliber issue, .223? ,22-250? .220 Swift? but then again the ranges here can be longish, maybe a .243? Another .25-06? maybe one of those WSSM's? Then there's the scope... Shepard? Leupold? I'm getting a migraine.... then the problem of getting the wife's approval or sneaking it past her.. or buying it for one of the kids....

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Mars :lol: I thought I was the only one who did all that...

5. MarlandS

And to think wimmen think we have fun buying guns :D

6. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

8pointduck,
    I've got the A-Bolt in .300 Win Mag and I really like the gun. I get that feeling rather often. I have now reached critical mass, I no longer have room in the gun safes and the missus would notice if I bought a new one. I hate the idea of getting rid of a gun to make room for a new one but that may be what I'm down to.

1300pump,
    I would go with the 9mm due to really cheap ammo. .40 cal is at least 50% more expensive and often more. I have a Marlin Camp Rifle in 9mm and it is a very effective coyote gun out to nearly 100 yards with 147 gr bullets. I use it in built up areas where the report of a shotgun or heavier rifle would not sit well with the neighbors.

Marland,
    If you're shooting from the combine, I would go with a semi-auto. A flat top AR-15 would be my choice, the M4 configuration would be preferred. Mine currently has a 2x7 Burris Compact from another rifle but that is only temporary until I decide what I want. The .223 round will reach out a good 200 to 250 yards with the right bullet and that is generally good enough for me. If you are set on a bolt, I really like the Savage and Remington as they seem to have better triggers than the Brownings on average though I like the appearance of the Browning the best. A 22/250 is all the more one needs for coyotes, it will reach out and touch them about as far as one can see. I used a 98 Mauser rechambered to 6mm Remington for years and it doesn't do anything any better than my buddies' 22/250s. The ammo for these are also fairly inexpensive and easily found compared to the 220 Swift and 223 WSSM and has less recoil and noise than the 243. For a scope I would go with the best I could afford, I like Leupold, Burris, and the Simmons Aetec but I think most companies produce at least some good lines.

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Hey UG , Getting rid of a gun is the only way I can do it :( . I don't like to either , but it is a money thing that I can't get around

8. MarlandS

Technically, I can't shoot from the combine, it's somewhat of a grey area as far as transporting , unless uncased and unloaded,even though it's on private property etc. It's definately verboten to shoot from it, heard of too many guys losing their game, guns, and combines for that. Granted, they were shooting "game" species and not coyotes , which, around here most CPO's wouldn't say a lot about. But, there is nothing in the regs to keep me from locating their home areas for later calling.

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Now look what you guys have done,I'm gettin a craven,I really like the CDL,and I don't have a 270 any more,but like 8point said,it's a money thing.I may not be able but that don't stop the craven.Drop-Shot

10. Rogmatt

Rogmatt Well-Known Member

1300pump, As much as I hate to say this, you may want to reconsider on the Hi-point. I also wanted one because of the price. My local gunsmith showed me a Hi-Point that a guy had just brought in to him. A large piece inside the reciever broke in half when the owner fire a hot load 44 Mag through it. The piece was made of pot metal. I knew then I could never buy a Hi-point because it would just be a matter of time before it broke.
    I just thought you should know.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks rogmatt,

they've got to be cheap for a reason. what happened to the guy that shot it? Hi-point has a lifetime guarantee, and they will fix any of gun, the will fix it if its the first owner, or even a third owner etc.

thanks, that really helps with my insight.

12. 1300pump

sorry last post was mine

thanks,
    -Tim

13. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

DP, GIVE IN TO YOUR URGE :twisted: :lol: I'd get one to if they made it in LH .......

ARE YO U LISTENING REMINGTON :x

14. grimel

grimel Well-Known Member

Re: re: OH NO NOT AGAIN

Save your breath. It's not cost effective to make anything special for us. I'm sure you've noticed that other than Savage nobody makes a moderate/entry priced LH bolt gun.

As for buying, do NOT goto gunbroker.com. It's aptly named, it will make you BROKER. I've bought 1 Beretta auto shotgun, 1 Browning A-5, 1 Mossberg 500, and a Savage 110LH 7mm-08 since June.

How to sneak them buy the wife:

Your other hobbies, a compact scopeless rifle will fit in a golf bag. Dufflebags are great for pistols.

When you goto shoot ALWAYS take at least 3 rifles and pistols in 3 double long gun cases and 2 four gun pistol cases (break down shotgun cases being my choice for pistols - holds 6-8 easily). You go and come with the same number of boxes everytime and you can add a long gun or pistol every few trips without getting busted. Make sure you clean your guns every range trip AND wipe down all the ones left in your safe.

Not that I've done any of the above. :wink:

15. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Marland,
    I thought that may be the case but wasn't sure. Sometimes different rules apply to non-game animals than to game animals. Up here one can carry an uncased, loaded firearm in the vehicle if they have a carry permit. I know several serious houndsmen who have gotten carry permits for this reason. As long as they get out of the vehicle and do not shoot from or across the roadway they are legal. As for losing combines, it happens up here every year too. This year may be a big year for seizures, much of the corn is still out in the fields and surprisingly there are still an awful lot of beans out. The wet spring and summer really messed the crops up, harvest is off by nearly a month in many areas.

16. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Maybe next year.Yea that the plan :wink: .I'm gonna get me one of those Abolts ........you will see :)

17. clayshooter25/25

clayshooter25/25 Well-Known Member

8pointduck,

Careful you are at the worst stages of the disease. Your disease is almost as bad as being a hullaholic shotgun reloader :shock: .

There still is hope my friend! A 12 step program will do wonders!! :shock: :lol:

"Hello, my name is 8pointduck and...and..and I'm addicted to gun buying"

:wink: :lol: :lol:

18. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Tried help once . it liked to have killed me........I've been apologizing to my Ruger but it won't pay me any attention. I guess the relationship is over. I'll just have to part ways with it and find me a new gun...

19. clayshooter25/25

clayshooter25/25 Well-Known Member

:D

20. 1300pump

hey, ill take it.

we can call it the "adopt a ruger foundation."