Rebarrelling a Savage Action

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Restoration' started by Anonymous, May 30, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Was wondering if anyone had any experience in rebarrelling Savage actions? The more I look at the Adams & Bennett barrrels, the more interested I am in replacing the factory barrel with an aftermarket A&B to gain 2" length and possibly rechamber to something different. Their website makes the replacement look relatively simple though I think I would want a qualified smith to check the headspacing when all was done.

I don't want or need a high end top dollar barrel since I am more interested in hunting and shooting at the range for fun. A couple smiths I normally use don't seem to be familiar with the A&B barrels and want to steer me towards high dollar match grade barrels which is not what I need or want. I'd like to get some info on any of the following from folks in the know on this:

1) Difficulty in pulling the old barrel and mounting a new barrel that is already threaded for the action?
    2) The thread diameter on the 110 action? Mine is a 30-06 but not sure actual year of manufacture and want to determine what the thread diameter on the barrel is. Apparently some actions are 1.125 (short and ultra mags I think) and others are 1.062".
    3) Any experience with A&B barrels? Most of the feedback MidwayUSA has seems to be positive but I'd like to hear from others on this as well.

Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess you can try to rebarrel an old Savage 99 (One of my very favorite rifles.) But why not just buy a new one...used of course.

You'll pour more money into the rebuild than you will for a new rifle. They made zillions of 99 Savages, after looking around a while you'll find a good one. They always have them in gun shows.

I bought a featherweight a while ago for $300 in 308. That's plenty of round for a 99. My favorite 99 is one of those take down 300 Savages. I don't have one, however. I mean with the 308 why get another a 300?

I also have a 95 Savage in 303 (they all are). It's a old guy, but shoots like a dream.

The 250/3000 is a great round. You'll have to hand load though, but that's no big deal.

Anyway, I'd forget rebarreling, and go for a new one. It's cheaper, easier and you'll be happy with it, I'm sure.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CHECK OUT www.savagegunsmithing.com. THIS SITE HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED OR WANT TO KNOW ABOUT BARRELS AND ACCURIZING SAVAGE BOLT ACTION RIFLES. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO DOES ACCURIZING OF REMINGTONS AND THE PRICES FOR SAVAGE WORK SOUNDS VERY REASONABLE. I FOUND THIS SITE AT 1:30 AM WHEN I COULDN'T SLEEP. HE USES SHILEN AND PAC-NOR BARRELS. HOPE THIS HELPS.