REM 7400

Discussion in 'Semi's' started by errolhunter, May 24, 2004.

1. errolhunter

errolhunter Active Member

hi everybody,i have a chance to purchase a remington 7400 in 270 , is this gun prown to jaming ,is it accurate ,and what is a good price ? the gun is in pretty good shape i do not know how it shoots. thanks errol

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

errolhunter,I used to own a 742 BDL with basket weave stock.When I down loaded the 30/06 down a bit(I would have to look at notes)It shot great.I was crazy to ever sell it.Look to pay 200.to 350 depending on how much it was shot.I sold my 742 several years ago and with a weaver scope I sold it for 350.00,But mine was great.Drop-Shot

3. errolhunter

errolhunter Active Member

hi drop shot ,thanks i think i'll pass on this one if they are going for $200 to 350 for a used one ,i think i'll wait because wally world has new syn.270 for $400 .it's not that i need it i just wanted it. thanks errol

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Hi D-Shot.

I am also considering a 7400 or a used 740 if I come across that. I realize that cleaning the action is more critical on a semi gas operated action than the bolt guns I have been using. In talking with some of the gun store personnel, I am left with the impression that anything short of brain surgery level cleanliness in the action dooms you to failure. Can you comment on cleaning needed to keep a gas auto functioning properly? I am particularly interested in:
    1) Is a full action cleaning needed after each and every shootin session or is it a function of rounds fired?
    2) Level of difficulty to disassemble and reassemble the receiver groups/components. Do I need to be a swiss watchmaker or is it something that is not overly difficult when a bit of diligence is used?

Thanks.

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Mountainview you don't need to be a gunsmith to keep an auto loader clean,especialy a remington.I used to clean the barrel after hunts but not disassemble the rifle.If you don't have one,buy a gun vise.I have a tippton that locks the rifle in place to clean from the muzzel,but use a bore guide if using a metal cleaning rod,I use a tippton carbon cleaning rod but a simple bore guide keeps any metal on the bore brush from contacting the barrel even at the muzzle.On a remington,unscrew the fore stock end nut,it should be tight but only hand tight.That will expose the gas ports.On the reciever,pull the bolt rearward and use brass drift(punch)to drive the trigger group out.I use gunscrubber solvent and spray in the reciever,use an old toothbrush thats still stiff and clean the reciever,spray till clean solvent runs out,wipe with clean rag,I use clp to lightly lube the reciever.Spray the trigger assembly and scrub it also and wipe clean and lightly use clp.The gas port cleaning is different from the 7400 to the 742.On my 742 I got a parts break down for disassembley and you should too but this cleaning session was a once a year.I like clp but others use other stuff and like it.You should not have any problems as they are simple guns,thats why I like them.Let me know if I can help explain further.Drop-Shot

6. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Thanks for the info D-Shot. I have been fighting a losing urge to pick up a 7400 or an older 742 (I like the looks of the older version) in good condition but have been concerned about maintenance versus shooting time effort. Sounds like it is not unreasonable and when I can scrape up the necessary funds, will be picking up one myself. I have some bolt actions but would like to try some other actions to round out my cabinet.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Prone to jam? I have had a 7400 in 30-06 for over 20 years and never had a jam. Shot in my club's high power league (running deer targets) for many years and the weapon performed just fine. Wouldn't have any other deer rifle. :D

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey mountainview I picked up one at the last gun show,742 woods master BDL with basket weave stock.It sure is clean now,I disassembled the rifle and cleaned the trigger group and reciever with a tooth brush.The one I got rid of was just as nice as this one.I cleaned the barrel and lapped it good,no cotton on any part of the barrel.The gas port is clean now and I can't wait to shoot it.It's old but so am I. Like multilaker,my old 742 never jamed and I hope this one is a shooter also.Drop-Shot

9. berettashotgun

berettashotgun Member

Had major trouble with mine, was a singleshot for about 2 months, then I realized that I had reassembled the trigger assembly WRONG. That thing likes the 270 cal. 150 gr win silvertips. Steer away from the wally model and get a decent used one for less $, and avoid sales tax :evil:

10. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

I recently saw one in Wal-Marts down here in Florida for $482.00.

11. Fish Springs

Fish Springs New Member

I purchased a used 7400 this week and found this 30/06 Carbine w/synthetic stock to be surprisingly nice to shoot (the recoil pad, stock and gas action do attenuate recoil when compared with the same load in my Ruger 77 Allweather).

Cleaning is not unlike an 1100 Remington and as described above--cleaning from the muzzle is a bit of a pain but so it is on a 94 Win.

Chamber brushes for the 7400 seem to be a bit hard to find.

With factory sites, 50 yard 1" groups were common if the gun was well rested, not to hot and a 2" bulls eye to allow for consistent site picture/hold.

The operation of the bolt and magazine make sure that this is not a military rifle--it will take some time learn how to do a fast magzine swap.

The comb on the synthetic stock is too high for use with open sites, but with a low power scope on low rings it ought to mount like an 1100 Skeet gun. While I may have preferred a .308 to the 30/06 the price was right on this one.

It mounts and shoots like the deep cover pig/deer gun or maybe it will work as a truck rifle...off to the bench to find a scope and rings.

12. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

For their uses, they are excellent rifles. 8)

13. Ruger 77

Ruger 77 Super Member

I find that they're not accurate after about 10 rounds. Snake them and start shooting again

R77

14. papurich

papurich New Member

if you did get a 742,congratulations! I cannot say enough good about mine,I live and deer hunt in northcentral Wi.The weather up here gets pretty cold around deer season.I used to have some problems with my 742 cycling rounds.After talking to a couple of other Rem owners locally,I discovered that the Remoil that I was using was too heavy in the 742 in cold weather.I was recomended to use WD-40 and have not had a problem since

Good luck and happy hunting

15. Ruger 77

Ruger 77 Super Member

I did get a 740 at a gunshow, with a scope and sling, for $250. It's a fine gun, about 95% blueing, with plain, slightly used wood. I wasn't getting real great groups with it anyway, but a 3" group is minute of whitetail out to 300 yards. I tightened up all of the scope and mount screws, and haven't shot it yet. The scope is a 4x Bushnell, and I don't think that's helping my groups at all. When I top it with a 3-9x Nikon Buckmaster, I susupect that, with the right ammo, I'll be shooting 1-1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I'm also planning on starting to reload, and I hope that with 125 grain bullets recoil will be less for my grandad. I don't mind the kick at all, and the noise is great, but I know not to creep up on the stock. He, on the other hand, doesn't like the noise, and, after he creeped up on the stock and touched off a hot-loaded 180 grain bullet, wasn't much of a fan of the recoil.

R77

16. WinM70

WinM70 Member

I just bought a very nice used 7400 in 30.06, it has the scroll and high gloss stock of the earlier days. It will match my 1100 20ga now I need to land a 1100 in 12ga with the same furniture and I'll be happy. Can't wait to take it out and geta print out of how she shoots.