Remington's "Special Run" rifles

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by shootingworld, Sep 24, 2004.

1. shootingworld

shootingworld Owner/Admin Staff Member

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

That 700cdl in 35 whelen should be just the trick. I'll bet it would be just about right for anything in the US within 200 yds.
    Hwd

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Im with you huntwithdogs,the 35 whelen will kill all that needs to be killed.I had a friend that had one in Montana and he could shoot through an elk broad side and break shoulders and exit.Of all the deer and elk he shot,he never recovered a spent bullet but we saw the damage.I have a 358 win in a BLR and I can't wait to use it on an animal,it's no 35 whelen,but it will do for the limits I've placed on it.Drop-Shot

4. goldeyeslayer

goldeyeslayer Well-Known Member

I saw the 700 in .204 ruger, it is awsome :p

5. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Member

I think that Model 597 Earnhardt Combo might be the ugliest thing I've ever laid eyes on.

There's also some pretty sweet stuff on there. Some of those are NICE.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Jeffbeck I've not seen the dale earnhardt special but I sure like the 597(I think thats the model of the 22 semi-auto)The one I shot would compete with the ruger 10/22 with no problems.I've also heard the remington comes in 22 mag and 17 HMR.I shot the 22 with laminated stock and I want one in each calibers listed. When I was young my dad was stationed in fort cambell,we lived in clarksville tenn,and for 18 months 2 different times in fort knox,we lived in elizabethtown,and I went to hardin county schools.Drop-Shot

7. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Member

Hey, that's not too far away from here at all. It seems like I used to head down to Nashville or Clarksville all the time, and I had to go through Ft. Cambell to get there.

I go through Elizabethtown fairly frequently. I've got a friend who's going to let me hunt his property not too far from there this year.

I agree about the 597's. They're a great gun, but the only thing special about the Earnhardt version is that it's especially ugly. It's terrible. It looks like it ought to have a little orange cap on the end like toy guns. Don't go out of your way to see it, it's not worth it.

They've got a .22 winmag and there's also a 17HMR. I like the synthetic stocks myself. I'm not much of a purist am I? I like to get my guns in the woods, and I don't want to worry about scratching up a nice looking stock.

I don't know if it's possible to have more fun with any gun than you can have with a .22. You can take those rascals out and shoot them all day long for just a few bucks. I guess I get a little more satisfaction from dropping a deer, but chasing squirrels with a .22 is just so much more fun overall.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Me too jeffbeck,I love the 22's.Drop-Shot

9. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

The one thing I would like Remington to do is drop the BDL line and expand the CDL's. It is a much nicer rifle to me as well as others I have talked to. Besides , I want one bot they don't make it in left hand yet :cry:

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point you can't get just any caliber in the CDL,they have select calibers only.I handled one and asked when will I see a 338 win mag and the guy told me at that time,I have one ordered and will be here in a few days.I went back and all they had in CDL was 300 ulter short mag,and 308.He looked in the computer and the only 338 is in BDL and its a 338 rem ultra mag,and I figure that is a little stouter than the 338 win mag.I think it's offered in 5 or 6 calibers,I think I remmember 35 whelen offered also.I hate only having one rifle in a caliber,I like the 30 cal,I can load and have powder for 308,300 savage,30/06,300 weatherby.I only have 1 rifle in 243,and now 358 win.I may end up with a 35 whelen,that way I'll have 2 rifles in 35 cal.Drop-Shot

11. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

That's the best excuse to get one, you just got to get another .35 :) . Since I don't have a .35 at all I guess that should be my next venture..

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One warning 8point,don't look at the charts and ballistics as they don't tell the whole story.I watched an older gentleman,a good friend,shoot an elk at what I estimated 200 yards +,the 225 gr went through both shoulders and exited.When I looked at the ballistics chart I re-thought the rifle and bought a handgun instead.That was a mistake,338 and 35 cal will be my next gun,when the 35 whelen comes in he promised to call.I'm not sure if I can afford it but I am gonna do my best to get that rifle.35 whelen CDL,and I won't go cheap on a scope,leupolds only.But I have time,the doctors said no going to the hunt camp this year,so I'm looking for next year.All hunters,PROTECT YOUR BACK,you don't get do-overs at any age.Drop-Shot

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Sorry guys I didn't log in,thays me above.Drop-Shot :oops: