Scope for a Ruger 10/22

Discussion in 'Small Bore' started by mapanggulo, May 20, 2004.

1. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

Got a call from my local gun store...my Ruger 10/22 came in...now I just need to con the boss out of letting me take an extended lunch or let me off work early.

Anyway...back to the reason for this post : What's the best type of scope for a .22 rifle. I will mainly be using this for target shooting, plinking, and alittle prairie dog control. I'd actually like to keep this in the $100 dollar range. Looking for information on the scope power and such. Haven't really got much experience with scopes...my .30-06 has a Simmons 3X9 40mm on it...but its not even been zero'd yet.

2. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

well the most popular and most versatile seems to be the 3-9 but on my .22 i have a fixed 4x that works pretty well for hunting

Aaron

3. 1300pump

1300pump Well-Known Member

got a tasco 3-9x40 for $25 at wal-mart, I guess ya cant beat that.

4. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

For your $100 you can get a 6-24 x 40mm from Midway. It is great for target shooting...a little much for hunting.

However, Midway has 66 different scopes from BSA and I have no idea how many from other manufactures on their web site at midwayusa.com.

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

Most .22 shooting is pretty close, so you don't need too much magnification.... and if you shoot moving targets (like snowshoe hares) you will DEFINITELY want something lower than 3X.

I have a Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32 on a 10/22, and it's just about ideal. 1.5X works for close and moving shots, while 4.5X is more than enough for 50+ yards. They typically run about $70.

If all you're going to do is punch holes in paper, a 3-9 is the way to go.

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Wally World has a bushnell 4x12 for around $70 that has the adjustable objective. I've got one on my 22mag and 2 of my brother in laws have them on their 22lr. The cross hairs aren't to thick like on some lower end 3x9s.They work real well on popping squirrels in the noodles and for taking shots at groundhogs.

HWD

7. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

I ended up getting a cheap scope from a friend of mine...its meant for pellet guns, but still works good. I was planning on upgrading this gun and tricking it out, but I might just get another 10/22 for that and keep this one stock.

8. iwoodbutcher

iwoodbutcher Member

I had a 36 power scope on one I had but it had a target stock and Midway barrel. I could only see the outer edge of a paper plate at 80 yds. and my heart beat made the crosshairs jump around like a frog. It was fun to shoot long distance though. My current 10/22 has a 4 x 32 on it and is just fine for the average shooter and plinking we do. My vote goes for a good 4 power scope.

Monte

9. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

If you want a scope the recommendations posted above will work. But since you aren't going to be shooting much over 50/75 yards, I'd opt for a nice peep sight. They make some that screw right into the slots that are made for those Ruger scope rings.

That little 10/22 is small and I don't like how it mounts with a scope. You can fix the problem by getting a new stock, but even then you only have a .22 rimfire. I mean, how much money do you want to put in the little critter?

So, I'd opt for a nice peep sight. Brownells lists several. The peep is fast and you'll hit using it. I love mine.

10. JJB

JJB New Member

Re: re: Scope for a Ruger 10/22

a guy can put alot into a 1022... just take a look at the rimfire central forum to see what i mean....

i only have a simmons .22 mag 4 by 32 scope on my 1022 custom and that seems to do just fine for me....

11. ras1500

ras1500 Member

I have a Ruger 77/22 that I use for smallbore silhouettes and plinking. I put a Simmons 8-32 x 44mm target scope on it. I find the most useful magnification for silhouettes is around 20X. The sight picture starts to get dim at 32X.

12. mtthwvngold20

mtthwvngold20 Member

I have a Simmons 8-point 3-9x32. It's an awesome scope IMO. I've killed a many squaks with it. It's the most accurate .22 I've ever shot (even though I haven't shot a heck of alot of others). I didn't buy the scope, it came off my hunter's package Savage. Great scope none the less.

Matt

13. planeoldguy

planeoldguy Member

14. WinM70

WinM70 Member

I have a Simmon .22 Mag 3x9-32mm on my Ruger 10/22, and a Tasco 3x9-32 on my Marlin 60. Both work great.

15. Senator vitaman

Senator vitaman New Member

re:

If you are only punching paper, a 3-9 would probably be good. I find I like the higher magnification, and would not want a 4 power for this.

16. WML

WML New Member

If you are going to be shooting at distances of 50 yards, you want to either get a scope made for rimfire shooting or one with adjustable parallax (sp?). Most rifle scopes have the parallax set for 100yards. I tried a fixed 4x Leupold, but it wasn't enough magnification for my 65 year-old eyes. I find that 6-7x is about right for me at 50yds.

17. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

This original post was in MAY OF 2004.............

Take a hint...he does NOT need any more opinions SIX years later.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

18. WML

WML New Member