so tell me about the hi-point 9mm carbine

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by chips, Aug 12, 2004.

1. chips

chips Well-Known Member

i might blow a little bit of my truck fund to buy one of these things. i have looked at several other forums and it seems that most people think the pistols are sh*t, but the carbines are supposed to be pretty good.

so, do any of you own one? have any of you fired one? what do y'all think of the gun?

http://www.mkssupply.com/carbine.asp

[​IMG]

2. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

chips i want a 9mm carbine pretty badly too but if im going to get one it will be a beretta cx4 those are bad a$$ u may also want to consider the ruger pc4 i think it is? let us know what u end up w/

Aaron

3. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

Re: re: so tell me about the hi-point 9mm carbine

I like the ruger too but would probably opt for the.40 since I already have handgun in the same caliber.

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

Not my cup of tea, but, as gwp said, if it's available in .40 S&W, I'd certainly rather have that than a 9x19.

You can load a .40 down, but you can't load a 9mm up, and the 9x19 is kind of a weenie, to say the least; it's about on par with a .38 spl, while the .40 S&W is pretty close to a .357 mag. Plus, with the longer barrel and a slower powder....

5. chips

chips Well-Known Member

i'm no where near being able to afford the ruger or barreta carbines. i really like the barreta, though.

the hi-point is only ~$170. sometimes as low as $155.

it comes in 9mm and .40 as of now, but i understand that a .45 is in the making. i want it just as a fun gun for plinking and stuff. it wouldn't be used for hd or hunting at all, so i think i would go with the 9mm.

the saxet gun show is coming up in a little less than a month, and i think i'll go look and see if i can get a good price.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

hey chips you get one and tell us how they are,some one has to be the ginnie pig.I've seen them and 9mm is cheap.I own 2 9mm pistols,a baby eagle nine and a taurus millennium pt111 and both are great to plink with.In this state you lose your gun for 10 years or forever when you shoot some body with it.I had a guy trying to break in while I was home and another time he got in, so I bought this taurus to shoot him with and let the police have it and not lose too much.These new frangible rounds have been used here and have almost all have been fatal,even in 9mm.I use the ones that the air marshels use and they are not going to exit.The only non-fatal shot was when a thief was shot in the buttocks,he lost 1 leg and alot of important stuff around there.I own larger calibers but the 9mm with frangibles will do the job,shoot a 2X4 with one and be prepaired to be amazed.I hear PMC has one out also.It wont penetrate a car door or a house door and still work well but if you shoot somebody with one in 9mm ,the sherriffs office said,he wont be hard to find.Get that highpoint and let us know.Drop-Shot

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Let me restate what I just said,the 9mm will work but the 10mm,.40.S&W,45acp, 45lc ,44special,44mag will work better.The 9mm with frangibles arn't as accurate as 9mm hydrashocks,so I wasn't saying the 9mm is all you need,but at close range those frangibles are deadly.I can carry anything I want,but I carry a 9mm with frangibles or 38 special with frangibles,mostly due to weight and my bad back.But I do not say 9mm and 38 special are the ideal defense gun.Frangibles are in there infancy and getting better,my first weapon of choice is a 12 guage 9 shot mossberg,and then 45acp glock 21.The 9mm's are fun and cheap,but I think air marshels carry 40 cal with frangibles,get that highpoint for fun not last line of defense.Drop-Shot

8. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

The only you thing you didn't mention about the frangible rouns is that if your assailant has heavy clothing on, it will render them useless. I keep my Glock 23 loaded with 135 grain +p Cor-Bons. If I'm going to do it I'm going to do it right or not at all. If my life or my families life is on the line I don't need my bullets getting hung up in some turds sweatshirt.

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

gwp4ever I wonder about that,I'll try that today.The store robber that was shot in the right buttock,went through his wallet and messed up his hip and leg that it had to be amputated.I'll try the clothes thing today.I plan to shoot today and will give it a try.Almost all the police I know can't stop talking about them.One started carrying a mini colt in 9mm as his backup with frangibles and some police here in the seattle area are talking about carrying clips of both.We have alot of apartments here and the frangibles won't go through a wall and injure or kill by going through a wall.Tomarrow I'll send you a report about clothing,and mabe a jacket also,that would be a worth while effort.Drop-Shot

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

gwp4ever,the only thing worse than having a bullet getting hung up in some turds sweatshirt is a bullet going through that turd and hitting a family member.I held up my end of the deal I used a pair of levi's that for some reason shrunk,and I was keeping them just in case my butt shrunk,well the pants are only 1/2 worn,mostly in the knee from looking under cars and trucks.The frangibles are jacketed but is filled with a metal that looks like pwuter,the jacket stayed intact.I doubled the jeans so the bullet would go through 2 legs of denium.No problem.went through and into the backstop.It left only a small hole in both legs.Next I put an old army jacket(it shrunk also)behind the jeans.The bullet went through the jeans like before but started coming apart going through a jacket liner and jacket.I doubled the jacket and shot again,this time the bullet came apart but had enough force to tear the rear of the jacket to shreds.I would give anything not to be behind that bullet when It comes apart,it's like small buckshot.I used extreme ballistic shock ammo.The pmc is not in stores now that I visit so I could not try them.But recaping the event,the bullet will go through 2pairs of jeans without coming apart,it started to come apart a little with a military liner and jacket,with the jacket doubled the bullet went through jeans,liner and rear of jacket before severe signs of breaking up,but the jacket and small bits of pwuter can't be found.If your intruder is dresses in 2 pairs of jeans,2 military jackets and liners,he still may be severely injured,I don't know about that.But if he is only clad with a shirt and 1 pair of jeans I would not hesitate to use the 9mm with extreme shock anti personel rounds.They are spendy,and I have ruined a pair of jeans and an old tattered military jacket with a military liner.Some home less guy hates us right now but I got to see the damage.The bullets run about 3 dollars each.1 box of 20 for 46.00,I have seen them in sportsman guide for alot less,but they are still expensive.Drop-Shot

11. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

Thanks for the report, Drop Shot. I might have to give them a try.

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey gwp4ever what kick factor would you give the 338 win mag,say,along the lines of a 12 guage 3 inch,worse or lighter?The man at the gun store is a horrible person,he showed me a remmington CDL in 243 but said he was going to get a 338win mag in 2 weeks and since I have bought several guns there,he would give me a super deal,That dog!All I can think about is a CDL in 338,so give me the idea of how bad they kick.I shot a 30/06 the other day but have not even shot the 300 weatherby.I damaged some thing in my back while going to a pce(physical capacity exam) and I think some thing tore.Just shooting the 9mm made me have to take medication.So I' hoping I get better but if not,then I wish all my hunting buddys all the best luck in the world and give me details,failures and sucessful hunts.Drop-Shot

13. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Super Member

I think a .338 has a pretty decent kick to it, but to me 3" 12 gauge slugs are worse, but that's just me. It's also a different type of recoil, the rifle has a faster, sharper kick.
    I leaving for Wyoming in a couple of weeks for an antelope hunt, I'll let you know how it goes. I sure hope your back feels better soon. Oh, and let me no how that new CDL shoots :lol: .

14. chips

chips Well-Known Member

update: i got paid today, and i got more than i thought i would, so hopefully i will get the carbine soon. i might just have dury's guns order it if they can do it for a reasonable price.

15. goldeyeslayer

goldeyeslayer Well-Known Member

Save it and get the new beretta carbine, looks awsome.Dont know the price the you might have to sell a kidney.

16. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

the beretta can be had for about 600-650 most anywhere a bit salty but someday ill own one

Aaron

17. chips

chips Well-Known Member

Re: re: so tell me about the hi-point 9mm carbine

i wont be able to save up that much right now. i just have too many expensises. i can afford the 170 for the hi-point, and thats about it.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

...My dad picked up a highpoint 9mm with the nickelish finish as an around the house plinker (they live in a rural area) he has plenty of guns , but it fills in nicely above a .22 and below a serious rifle. It is suprisingly accurate. From a bench we were getting sub-1'' groups at 25yds...(with a sandbag rest). It failed to feed a few times while it was new, but after many hundreds of rounds, no further problems have been detected. It handles low-end or high-end rounds equally well since the 'break-in' period. I think it took about 200-300 rounds for it to shoot where it is now. It has been used to shoot one stray cat...One shot with a Federal Hydrashok at about 25-30'. It is not the highest quality, but the price is definately right. It fits nicely behind the seat of the car (much easier to keep out of site than a larger rifle or shotgun).

my two-cents

spark21

19. claycrusher

claycrusher Well-Known Member

I have shot one and it was fine except for the bolt being on the wrong (left) side. It also would not cycle Wolf steel case ammo at all. It also felt very different, but some people must like it.

Jonathan

20. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

gwp4ever the gun I thought was a remington CDL was a BDL and the caliber is 338 remington ultra mag.Any way of figureing the recoil level?I'm starting to question wheather I could handle continueing shots with the 338 rem ultra mag.I may wait awhile I have many rifles I have never shot and at least 4 hand gunsthat I haven't shot.So next year I should be better and mabe could handle the recoil of the 338 rem ultra mag.If any one has experience with this caliber please let me know.Drop-Shot