Ticks!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 8pointduck, Jun 9, 2004.

1. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Ticks are everywhere around here this year. I can't go scouting on my hunting land without getting at least5 a dozen on me.

Been using permonone, 95% deet , I don't know what else to do , so does anyone have any suggestions/ having the same problems.

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I left the south for Montana so I got away from ticks,but I have a friend that is still in Lafayette La that has limes deasise and is in bad shape,so be carefull,I've heard avons body oil works but you have a sent that tells every animal in the woods that you are there.When possible attend local county or town meetings and tell the right people that limes deasise is your concern and controlled burns will stop the problem.Good luck,Drop-Shot

3. j870sm

j870sm Well-Known Member

I have land in Arkansas and it is usually heavily tick infested. I have found a cheap but effective Item and use them religiously.
    I think they are called gators, they strech over your boots and hold your pant legs tigh around your leg. Using these there is no way for the ticks to get in under your pants legs.
    You can order them from Bass Pro and Cabela's and most of the local sporting good stores have them as well.

4. Irish Setter

Irish Setter Well-Known Member

I too live in Ark., and ticks love me. I use a remedy that I learned as a young boy. Kerosene, commonly called coal oil. It's very inexpensive. I just rub my feet, legs, ankles, etc. down with a liberal amt. If you are just scouting and not actually hunting, the smell is not a problem. Obviously, you will need to bathe with soap and water afterwards to get rid of the scent.

5. IRISH9

IRISH9 Well-Known Member

Horrible things ticks, I didn't know you got them in America.
    We get them all up the east coast but the don't come inland as far as here, the ones in New south Wales can kill with the toxin they release too :x (not often deadly but they make a lot of people sick).
    Gators are good, need them in the ironbark bush (most of our goldfields are covered with ironbark trees) here where if something is living it will bite or sting and if it's not it will have spikes or spines all over it :lol: .

6. errolhunter

errolhunter Active Member

ticks hate them kill them all , now that i got that out of my system :roll:
    this is what i do when know ahead of time when i'm going hunting wash clothes in scent free soap, spray clothes with permoone(spelling :oops: ) then i take shower with scent free soap, put on tick suit (rhyno skin ) thenwhen i get to woods i put extra spray only on clothes, then spray deep woods off on exposed part of me .
    i have been doing this for 4 years ? and i had only gotten biten by ticks a couple of times .
    actually this also works for chiggers too. hope this helps . errol

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

It's been said that God created all things for a purpose but I would like to ask him myself one day,I hope not too soon,But why ticks?rop-Shot

8. errolhunter

errolhunter Active Member

me too drop shot and mosquitos too.
    the only reason i can think of is bird food , and or bug repellant manufacturer. errol

9. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

man I was out flat backin it under one of my friends cars yesterday helpin him work on it in my driveway and I pulled 5 off of me while I was out there then I came in and pulled one out of my hair and when I woke up the next morning found one on my arm! :shock: I hate them but they dont bother me as much as they used to but they sure freak my girlfriend out

Aaron

10. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

:lol: ....I can't scout at all without getting at least 2 on me and thats with Perminone, 95% deet, and tucking all my close in.. I did something yesterday that was a little foolish but it seemed to work. I went scouting wearing a pair of shorts and a t shirt. I spraye my legs with deep woods off max and all my cloths with perminone . The difference was that I felt the ticks when they got on me and I was able to feel them and get them off before they could attach.When I got home and checked myself better,found 2 that had tried to attach but were both dead from the poison..

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

hey 8pointduck,does your county do controlled burns?I used to live in the south(born in mississippi)and we would volunteer with the fire departments and do controlled burns.The under groth loves it and tick eggs burn.1 tick can spawn over 100,000 ticks in her life.Talk to your fire department and volunteer to help keep the ticks down.Drop-Shot

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Ticks bother us but the deer lay down in tick infested areas,turkeys lay on the ground and wait till the eggs hatch,rabbits and such have to put up with them all year.I finally came up with a cure for fire ants but it may be illeagle to do it.Soak a hand full of grits in a small amount of anti-freeze and let it sit up in the hot sun for a day.The grits will soak up the coolant and put a tablespoon of that next to a nest.within a few days the grits will be gone and the ants will slowly die off.I put 1/2 cup sugar in last batch and it was gone in about 4 hours.All you need is alittle anti-freeze and it goes along ways.When I lived in mississippi I killed all mounds in our 1 acre yard.I think the queen dies and others also but some move to other mounds I think,cause we had mounds all around the outside of our property,It worked,I don't know if its leagel.Drop-Shot

13. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I take a little of one mound and put it on another. Just watch as the war begines.

14. clayshooter25/25

clayshooter25/25 Well-Known Member

What's a fire ant? No seriously, we don't get those up here :D . We get those darn ticks though!!! :x

15. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Ticks ,fireants, all kinds of varmints doen here in the south. Afire ant is the meanest ant in the U.S. It will bite the fire out of you 8)

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey clayshooter I have heard of ants killing a baby, the family went on a picnic and all was not watching the baby,buy the time the parents noticed the crys were different they got all the ants off and took the baby to the hospital and the baby died.They started south and are heading north,they can't live where the ground freezes deep like Montana,but other ants live there so mabe it's a matter of time.But if you don't have them then celebrate,poor 8point and others have to live around those buggers.Drop-Shot

17. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

hey 8point,when is your deer season and when do you get your first frost?That helps with the ticks although I have gotten ticks in January back in Mississippi.Drop-Shot

18. clayshooter25/25

clayshooter25/25 Well-Known Member

Re: re: Ticks!

Too bad you couldn't purchase a flamethrower filled with napalm! :twisted: That would be fighting fire with fire.

19. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

:D

20. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey 8point my hunting season may have just ended.Yesterday I went to a physical therapst for an evaluation and one of the things they had me do was reach several times and some thing in my back broke.I think it tore something but the doctors office said to wait at least 10 days to see if I stretched a muscle or damaged the disc above my last fusion.They want to do a discogram if it persists and then surgery.Keep me posted cause all the hunting I'll get to do is through others.Good luck and take care of your back.Drop-Shot