Two rifles, which ones?

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by TXVAshooter, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Super Member

Ok folks, in an effort to get discussion flowing here, I've got an interesting thought. If you were limited tow only 2 rifles, which caliber would you take. Let's put it in the context of North American game.

I had a .243 and a .300 win mag, but sadly, foolishly, sold the .300 mag on making a move to Va. Got my wife a single shot .223 for shooting with me at the range instead.

What's your poison?

I'd keep the .243 (great for deer and varmits) and say I wish I still had the .300 mag. Versatile cartridge on bigger game. (Man, I need another .30 caliber gun, can you tell? :wink: )

2. Irish Setter

Irish Setter Well-Known Member

Would have to go with a 30.06. I believe that it would be the best over-all, although, like you, I am very partial to my .243.

No mission too difficult. No sacrifice too great. Duty first.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you're killing me with this 2 gun limit but here goes.
    a cz452 american in .22 lr
    and a .270 in some sort of sako format. :lol:
    if i go with 2 centerfires i can't pop me no squirrels, unless i get to have a scatter gun too, then i would drop the .22 and go with a .243 sako and a 7mm rem mag.

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

What's to debate??? a .30-'06 and a .22

The particular model of rifle is a matter of personal preference, but it's pretty tough to deny the caliber choice. For me, it would be a Ruger 10/22 and a Remington pump .30-'06..... but I still have to decide if I want the Carbine or the Rifle version.

5. chips

chips Well-Known Member

.22 and .270

6. Grendelrob

Grendelrob Member

Interesting question.

I would have to go with the .30-06 and have a tough decision betwen a .22 and a .243 (but would probably go with the .243).

Rob

7. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

In the Lower 48, a 22/250 and a 7mm or 300 mag. Counting Alaska and Canada, a 257 Roberts and either a 338 Win mag or a 375 H&H mag.

8. phideaux_2003

phideaux_2003 Active Member

.257 Roberts and a .308

Nick

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

.22 and 30-06.

ammo for them is everywhere

10. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Super Member

lots of fans of that 06 here... :D

11. sappyg

sappyg Member

22 rf and 30-06.....now for the maker :roll:
    I'll go with maybe that new Remington 504 or Sako Finfire for 22. and either a Classic Winchester stainless featherwieght or one of those really cool looking Remington CDLs...The cartrige (given the 2 rifle maximum), is definitly an easier choice the rifles themselves. sappyg

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hmmmmmmmm, thats a tough one, i assume this is rifles only, i wasnt payin much attention, but, rifles only, id go with a 22 lr. and a 308, 30/06, or 270, because of expenses, id go with the 308, i can buy that next to dirt cheap, you can with 30/06 also, but, its still more expensive, and the 308 is an extremely accurate cartride, after all, its what our military uses if im not mistaken, it would probably be either one of them new springfield armory carbine m1a's or the m1 garand in 308, cant go wrong with either one, and in the 22, id go with a pre 64 model 61, which is in my opinion, the greatest rimfire ever made

13. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Active Member

Wow, two rifles for all seasons...

If money were no object, I'd take a Garand and a 10/22.

.30-06 will do most anything that needs doing, from defending the homestead to knocking down any critter smaller than a grizzly. .22 keeps wabbits and squirrels in the stewpot, does great for target practice, and all sorts of other handy things.

The Garand is as rugged as anything out there, and the 10/22 is probably as good as any semi-auto 22 made

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

30/06 and22 just like wwb saidDrop-Shot

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For me, this is an easy question to answer, as I have thinned my collection of sporting rifles down to include only those two rifles that I actually hunt with: A CZ Model 452-2E bolt action in .22LR and a CZ Model 550 "American Classic" bolt action in .30-'06.

16. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

My Savage 99 in 358 Win, and a 12 Ga. Rem 870. Now I can hunt everything from squirrels to Moose and Dove to Geese. :wink:

17. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

txvashooter I too am very fond of the 243.I've been told that they are too little,one of the guys that taught me to hunt had a bar in 243 and I watched a master at work.You have to be on your game,but that 100 gr bullet tears all up inside.I shot a small muley that was barely legal at 80 yards and I expected him to get up and run cause of his size(large)but he took one step and died right there.I would never use it on elk,bear,moose but antelope,deer the 243 is great.Look at the remington CDL and the calibers they have,like 300 win mag.I have thought alot about too much rifle awhile back and it makes alot of sense,if the bullet spends less time in a body it can devastate more.That theory is in the fore front of caliber selection for me.Thanks for your insight?Drop-Shot

18. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey wwb,I have a retraction,awhile back when talking about 45/70 bullets in the 440 gr range and I stated that I didn't have a slow enough powder to push those large projectiles.After reading Pet Loads by Ken Waters I now realize I need an extra fast burningpowder like IMR 3031 or even reloader 7.IMR 4064 will do for larger bullets like 250 gr.It needs an exrte hard push from a fast burning powder to propell those large projectiles.Good luck on the rest of the season.Drop-Shot

19. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Super Member

Re: re: Two rifles, which ones?

Yes drop shot, the little 243 is a real gem. use it on the right game, and you're set. I used a 300 win mag for a bit, but sold it, sadly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.