Which one to get

Discussion in 'Weatherby' started by Mac11700, May 14, 2004.

1. Mac11700

Mac11700 Member

Hey guys:

I guess I'll post the first one here...

Which would you prefere to get...both rifles are like new

257 Weatherby Mark5 action light gray synthetic stock or a 270 Weatherby ...with the same set up...they 270 has a lighter contour barrel on it...both are stainless and fluted...

Thanks

Mac

2. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

id go w/ the .270 its probably a little easier to find ammo for and more versatile IMO the weatherby mark 5 is an awesome action arguably one of the best out there i have been looking for one in .22 weatherby rocket let us know what u end up w/ and how it shoots BTW does the mark 5 have broached rifling or button rifling? i believe its broached but im not sure

Aaron

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mark:

Well I didn't wind up with either of those two...I picked up a little Mark IV though...it's a like new 308 with a 20" barrel on it....didn't know they made these with the MarkIV action...the dealer said they were kinda rare because of it...don't know...but I had him throw a Leupold scope and bases on it ...and it's already to take out and see how it shoots....the original owner put 1/2 a box of shells thru it and I got them too...he wound up going with a 300 Weatherby...I guess he wasn't impressed with the 308 ballistics???

Mac

4. Mac11700

Mac11700 Member

Sorry about that...that was me as the guest...and it's a Mark V action not IV...my badd :oops:

Mac

5. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

wow u got a nice gun the .308 is an awesome cartridge and the mark V action is awesome have fun shooting it

Aaron

6. skog

skog Well-Known Member

According to teh weatherby webpage the mark V has button rifling.

skog

7. Mike 257

Mike 257 Member

Mac

You will love the .257, I got a .257 Mark V Deluxe last year and havent stopped shooting it since. I just picked up a .300 wby Mark V Deluxe this week . Im working up some loads for it now.