Whistle Pig guns

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by HunterJon, Apr 30, 2004.

1. HunterJon

HunterJon Active Member

So what do you all carry for whistle pigs (groundhogs for all you yankees). I carry my 17HMR or my 30-06 depeding if it's close or long range shooting I'm doing. I've also taken them with a crescent wrench but that is a story for a differnt time.

2. ScottyO

ScottyO Member

You can't leave us hangin' like that! We want the crescent wrench story!!!!!!!!.....................

oh, yeah, groundhogs. Usually a 30-06, but sometimes as small as a .22mag if I know it's going to be a close (closer) shot. At least close enough that I can get a good head shot.

S.

3. Grouse Getter

Grouse Getter Member

Hk SL8 .223. 8) We don't have much for whistle pigs in our area but do have gophers, "ground squirrels" just like a prairie dog but only about 1/3 the size. :D

4. chips

chips Well-Known Member

5. HunterJon

HunterJon Active Member

The crescent wrench story. I have been working as a farm hand for the past 4 years, and one day I was teaching one of my friends how to drive a tractor. While we were out in the field I saw a whistle pig running around. So i told my friend to hand me the wrench that was sitting in the toolbox on the tractor, I then took off through the field after the the little sucker. I caught up to him and got fairly close, so I chucked the wrench boomerang style and clocked the thing in the head. Killed it right there. My friends back at the barn all thought I was full of it till I showed them the body.

6. ScottyO

ScottyO Member

"So i told my friend to hand me the wrench that was sitting in the toolbox on the tractor"

I think I would have opted for a hammer, just my oppinion. :lol:

Great story, thanks Jon!

S.

7. HunterJon

HunterJon Active Member

I would have opted for a hammer as well, but all the hammers where back in the machine shed. :D

8. ScottyO

ScottyO Member

Re: re: Whistle Pig guns

:lol: :lol: :lol:

S.

9. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

I once killed a fox squirrel w/ a hammer to the head it was not a pretty sight and cleaning up the mess was no fun either ( it was in my house)

Aaron

10. Buffalo Newton

Buffalo Newton Member

I'll shoot 'em with anything I can lay my hands on, from the .22LR to my .338/06 Ackley Improved. I like the .22LR when i catch them eating my bean plants in the garden, and the .338/06 was probably a one time thing [target of opportunity]. Most of the time I'll use a .223 or my .22 Hornet. Most spectacular in performance is my .220 Swift with the Hornady 50 gr. V-Max. Unfortunately the gun is too heavy to carry around, its a fifties vintage benchrest competition gun. Seems like a good excuse to buy another gun...a medium weight .220 Swift sporter. Lets see if I can sneak that under the wife's radar.

11. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Chips...loved that. Now I just need to get my .30-06 out and go find a farmer that will let me shoot dogs on his land :lol:

12. chips

chips Well-Known Member

make sure to bring a video camera :D

13. IRISH9

IRISH9 Well-Known Member

That is a great video :D , almost makes me wish we had them here (not that I want more hole digging vermin here), at least we can do that with rabbits :lol: .

14. phideaux_2003

phideaux_2003 Active Member

I have a Remington Mohawk 600 in .243. I shoot a 58 grn. bullet and boy does it blow them puppies up.

Nick

15. capt9992002

capt9992002 Active Member

Enjoyed the video and can't wait to hear the PETA nutz when they see it. Wonder if you could drive by their houses and force the video onto their TVs? That would be like them coming to the woods to harass hunters......

16. luvtohunt.com

luvtohunt.com Well-Known Member

We call'em rock chucks here in Washington. I use a Ruger M77 in 220 swift.

I am thinking of trying out the .204. One of my customers picked one up and loves it!

17. Big Yac

Big Yac Active Member

reading this topic got me thinking about shooting some groundhogs. I've been seeing more and more hogs out around here but its gonna be alittle while yet until they are out in full effect, gotta love Ohio's weather (if you dont like it, wait 5 minutes :) ). Usually I use my 30-06 (Sierra 180gr hollow point boat tail matchkings) for groundhogs but this year I'm going to go back to my Winchester model 70 in .243 since I have a pretty sweet load for it using IMR 4895 powder and a Sierra 85gr hollow point boat tail bullet. Though if the rumor is true about Remington making 5mm magnum ammo again I may just use my 5mm to take some groundhogs...heck might even get out the 25-20 :D Cant wait until spring

18. danurve

danurve Well-Known Member

phideaux_2003; If memory servs the 600 is a short barrel sporter, must be wicked fun to shoot! happen to know what the twist is on her?

Big Yac; I use 4350 for a nice round with the same bullet. Although I like the 70gr blitzking & 380 too. Either load smokes groundhogs. Now I just need to find a new place to hunt them.

19. banshee

banshee Active Member

I have taken a few with a truck, but most are takin with my .220 Swift

20. MAX & TOBY

MAX & TOBY Member

This year I bought a Savage 204 with Hornady 40gr. Fantastic to shoot - no recoil - dead on at 200yds, and very effective to 300 yds. That's a good distance at local farms around the city.