11GL Savage Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by elderberry99, Nov 27, 2005.

1. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I recently purchased a new Savage Arms .243 rifle model 11FL. I love this rifle so much more then a pump that I am used to hunting with.
    I would now like to replace my Remington pump model 7600 in .308 for a new bolt action in same caliber.
    I am currently looking at the Savage Arms 11GL left hand model.
    Does anyone have any experience with this model?

2. Matt67C10

Matt67C10 Guest

I have a Savage Model 11 in .308. It's a very accurate rifle, I get groups of 1" or less at 100 yards. I'd highly recommend it.

3. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

Matt,
    I love the .308 caliber for hunting as well as my target shooting. Recoil is very managable. The Savage 11FL is the left hand version, and I enjoy the .243 now. I will stay with the Savage 11. Just not sure if I should go with the synthetic stock or the hardwood.
    I just may go with synthetic now and look for the laminated stock later on.

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

The synthetic stock makes for a great woods rifle which is durable and is not all that bad looking IMO. My son's Model 11 w/ synthetic stock in 7-08 is light, compact, and easy to tote in the thick stuff when hunting. I've found myself carrying it more and more when he is not using it (hmmmm, I think I just found a good excuse for getting another rifle.......). It gives better accuracy than I am capable of with either handloads or factory ammo. Only downside is that the lightweight and straight buttplate (my shoulder contour is more curved) ensure that the rifle gets my attention at the bench when it recoils though that was easily solved courtesy of PAST and one of their fine products.

5. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I cannot honestly understand why so many people say the synthetic stock is not appealing to look at. I feel a "true" gun lover will appreciate any weapon regardless of the stock on it.
    I have been carring my .243 with synthetic stock into the heavy woods and up into my treestand since the beginning of the deer season here in NC and I have to tell you that I appreciate this rifle very much. Very quiet when bumped against my seat or shooting rails.
    I am a great lover of the wood stock. I am a woodworker by hobby and can appreciate a fine piece of walnut. I feel the synthetic stock has a very stable home in the firearms world.
    Nothing can beat a fine piece of walnut with a good satin finish on it, but I also enjoy the feel and handling of the synthetics, especially in the rain and when a wood stock can be slippery.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Savage

Elderberry have you seen the new savage with a fine hardwood stock?I read the review in shooting times magazine,it did what a savage will always do,shoot good, and this one has a fine hardwoods stock that would appeal to anyone.8point said a few months back that he expected a nice version of the savage and its here.Drop-Shot

7. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

Drop-shot,
    Are you referring to the model G and GL? It has a hardwood stock but it is not a walnut stock like on the model 14 American Classic in right hand.
    I wrote a letter to Savage Arms asking, no, begging them to make a left hand model 14.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Yep you've seen it,its call the 114 American Classic and the worst group the rascal shot was 1 3/8 inch group,all others were 1.00-1.25 inch groups.That one featured was 270 but I'm sure many calibers will be offered.Drop-Shot

9. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

Drop-Shot,
    As I said before, the 14 and 114 are for right hand shooters.
    They do not currently make the 14 or 114 for us lefties, not yet anyway.

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Elderberry I would think the left hand models are close behind.The Savage company has led the way for lefties with a good line up,my brother is a lefty and wants me to join him on an Alaska hunt for carribu next year,he wants to get a good lefty model for that hunt and lower 48 whitetails so the savage 114 american classic would do me good and hopefully they will offer a lefty version by then.Drop-Shot

11. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

Drop-Shot,
    We can only hope that Savage will not forget us lefties.
    :D

12. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

+1 on the lefty rifles, and being a SAvage, my 110 is a 243 and my 111 7 mag a lefty.

God bless savage for making those guns...

13. 583

583 Guest

i have experience with the 11GL with a crappy 3-9x40 scope and factory ammo i get groups just under an inch at 100 yards my rifle is chambered for 270 WSM these guns are a good deal for the money and the accuracy is awesome :shock: