150gr Hornaday spire points

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by wired, Aug 27, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

I've just about got everything I need to start reloading my .308 (been damn busy lately). I just picked up the actual bullets, and thought I'd see if any of you guys have used these things so far. It's going to be used for general hunting purposes. If I get a chance to go deer hunting this season, this is what I'll be using, and I'll probably use it as a coyote round as well. Nothing bigger than a deer. Any suggestions on loading this particular bullet for .308? I've heard they work exceptionally well for .30-06, so I would imagine they'd do pretty well for mine, too. Thanks for any info in advance.

2. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

Of the big 3 and even against a lot of premium bullets I've always liked Hornady the best. They don't always shoot the smallest groups but it's a hunting bullet through and through. They just always seemed to preform extremely well no matter what caliber or what game we shoot with them. If the make the weight I like in a given caliber I use them.

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Hornadys are well made in general, and the 150 gr bullet is just right for a 308. It was designed for that general weight. :D

4. wired

wired Guest

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure I was right on, because any time you go with one of the big-name bullet companies, you're typically good to go. I was mostly starting my research on the spire point bullets, because I hadn't looked at the ballistics for that type of bullet before. From what I've seen, it's just a special case of a spitzer. I'm sure I'll have plenty of success with it. Now all I gotta do is pick a powder, but I'm probably gonna just start with BL-2(C).

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

Don't overlook the Nosler Partition. Expands easily on long-range, low-velocity hits, yet retains a high percentage of initial weight under high-velocity or bone impacts. A darn good performer, although some rifles just don't seem to hold good groups with them. Tweaking the load may help with accuracy problems.

6. wired

wired Guest

I was looking in my Hodgdon reloading manual, and the data for the 150-grain bullet is for a Nosler Partition. Is the data still accurate for my bullet of choice, as it is still a jacketed bullet?

7. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: 150gr Hornaday spire points

Noslers are great for bigger game and work well for deer/antelope class game. Not all rifles seem to shoot the Partitions, Swift A-Frames and the like. It seems to me that softer bullets like Sierra and Hornady are a bit more forgiving, accuracy wise, but I can't recommend Sierras for to anyone for hunting bullets. They are too darned soft for my taste.

If your rifle will shoot Nosler Partitions well, it can't get much better, IMHO!! :D :D

L2S

8. wwb

wwb Super Member

I use the Sierra game king for whitetails here in the midwest, and have no complaints. But on the biennial trek out west for elk, it's partitions.

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

wwb,

I gave up on Sierras many years ago; they were very soft. I have not tried the Game King bullet. It is quite possible that Sierra re-designed their line and came up with a tougher bullet. I need to look into this, as Sierras are the most accurate bullets I have ever used, as a whole.

I think I'll get a box of 180 gr .30 and cut one open. I'll cut some of my older stock open and see if there is a difference... :idea: Now...where is my die grinder...??? :?

10. wired

wired Guest

So would the loading info be different as I'm using a different bullet? Will I be able to use the same amount of powder for my Hornadays that I would for the Noslers, since they're both jacketed 150gr bullets?

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Not always! Use minimum loads and work up. The best is to use Nosler data for Nosler and Hornady data for Hornady. For the most part, one's data will differ from gun to gun a lot, also.

Some bullet structure and design creates higher pressures. Always use caution and work a load up from moderate pressures. Hard extraction or cratering of the primers are a sure sign that you pushed too far!! :twisted: :shock:

12. wired

wired Guest

I figured as much. Looks like I'll hafta buy a Hornaday reloading manual now.

13. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

If you have a recent Speer book, it will work just fine.

14. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

Luv2,
    I know that this is a very old posting, but did you ever follow through with cutting open a current Sierra Game King to compare for hardness with Hornady or older Sierras?

15. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Luv2,

What Zerbe said. I could send you a few Sierra's to check.

So far this season we have taken deer with Sierra bullets in

30-06, 165 gr SPBT & 150 SP

30-30, 125gr FPHP

7mm RSAUM, 140gr SP (to the best of my recollection, I am not near my loading records, but definately a Sierra bullet)

In 44 Mag it was a 240gr Hornady XTP.

This is not intended to take anything away from the choice of Hornady 150 SP that wired selected. That is a good bullet also for these thin skinned Missouri deer. My current favorite for 308 is 125gr SP from Sierra.

BTW, wired, Did you take a deer with the Hornadys??

Good Luck!
    Hunt Safe!

MDC Agent told me there has been eight incidents and one fatality. We can do better than that.