17HMR - crow-graphic

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Rogmatt, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Rogmatt

Rogmatt Guest

I understand now why it is not good to hunt edible small game with 17 HMR V-max ammo. My son, Rogmatt Jr., hit this crow yesterday at about 150 yards with his Marlin 917. It was the first kill he has had with it. The exit hole is almost as large as a fifty cent piece. This gun and ammo is incredible. Scope is a BSA Platinum 8-32x. He says it is crystal clear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I shot one of these here a while back and was impressed with the accuracy. We were shooting pinecones off of a tree at 200 yds! My brotherinlaw shot a turkey with his this passed spring that just stopped and rolled. Be kinda rough on a sqill,but it oughta do a number on groundhogs.

hwd

3. Maser

Maser Super Member

i certainly hope that crow wasnt too high in the air cuz its dangerous to shoot a rifle in the air :roll:

4. Rogmatt

Rogmatt Guest

Maser, Imagine, a safety tip from you!!! That's great!!!!

The crow was still on a tree branch miles from anywhere or anyone.

I hope you continue your safety awareness in all that you do.

5. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol yea right im always safe when it comes to actual shooting with live rounds and yea i may mishandle unloaded guns but like i said thay ARE ALWAYS UNLOADED and if u havent noticed in an earlier post i did ask some info on shooting buckshot in the air while trap shooting and from the answers i got i will never do it again

6. firestorm9mm

firestorm9mm Guest

next time I go crow hunting I'm leaving the shotgun at home. The .17 looks like it does a great job :shock: thats one crow having a really bad day

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

If only they would make one in left hand

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Since I hunt coyote and fox for hides($) I may just stick with 22,that large hole could cost me premieum prices for hides,22 mag makes a big hole also if shot close.I would like to see the effects on coyote hides with a 17 HMR.Drop-Shot

9. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Dropster, there is a FMJ load available for .17 HMR. I have a box somewhere, just have to clean up the holiday mess and find them. Hope to shoot cats without brains splattering everywhere!
    ///olde 8) pharte///

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

1gsplover the full metal jacket would be the ticket,thanks bud,I've been wanting a 17 HMR but was holding back due to the wicked exit holes,I'm back on again.Drop-Shot