22 Cal target rifle choices

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by bbanbury, Jul 23, 2005.

1. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

Hi everyone. I want to try some small bore/22 target shooting such as the NRA Light Rifle competition. I have a Marlin Mod 39 lever action and a Glenfield Mod 60 semiauto. Based on what will qualify etc., I could use those but I'm really looking to get something that I can be competative with. Based on price vs. qualit, so far my choices are:

*Heavy barrled Rem 597 semiauto with a laminated stock
    *TC benchrest semiauto
    *Savage Mark II BV bolt with laminated stock and heavy barrel
    *Marlin bolt with laminated stock and SS heavy barrel

Thoughts and advice? I'm trying to stay below $400 (although the TC is slightly over...) pluc scope. Thank you for any info.

2. wired

wired Guest

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd probably go with the Savage until you save up enough to get an Anschutz or something. I'm a bit biased towards bolts for this kinda thing, so this would be my pick. If you're looking for a good bolt, you might even be able to find a CZ for less than $400, which would be an outstanding choice for starting up competitive shooting. But, as I said, if you want to be seriously competitive, you'll probably end up getting an Anschutz or Sako or something later on.

Let us know what you pick, and definately let us know how the competition goes! I'm hoping I can get into some competitive rimfire shooting before too long myself.

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

A common model you didn't mention and the one I would start with would be the Ruger 10/22. In its base form it is a very accurate gun and with a little judicious spending on aftermarket items (if allowed under the rules of the discipline you wish to participate in) which you can often add yourself, you can end up with a fantasically accurate gun. I am not very familiar with the TC, the one person I know who has one doesn't think it is any better than the somewhat tricked out 10/22 he traded off and he had less into the Ruger than the starting cost of the T/C. This would probably be my second choice as I like the looks of it better than the other guns you mention. The Remington is a close third, I've shot these a fair amount and there is a small aftermarket industry supplying upgrades for this model. Of the two bolt actions I would go with the Marlin as I think they have a better trigger that is a bit easier for the average person to shoot well and I think the piece of spring steel that the magazine attaches to is a little sturdier and less likely to bend. Accuracy wise they seem pretty much the same and if you plan to add an aftermarket trigger then it is a toss up between the two. If I wanted an accurate bolt, I would scour the lands for a Winchester 62 or a Remington 541-T. We had a couple of each for the kids in our 4-H group and those were some fine shooting guns.

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

For target shooting, the Winchester Model 52 is hands-down the best ever built.

Do some research and get familiar with the different models and features, and get a new blue book so you know the prices. Then start hitting the gun shows, pawn shops, even the sporting goods stores.

I had a chance to buy a 52B about 6 years ago and passed on the deal. Today, it would sell for almost twice what I could have bought it for.

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Yeah, Win 52 is what I meant. Thanks wwb.

6. moontroll

moontroll Guest