Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I want to try some small bore/22 target shooting such as the NRA Light Rifle competition. I have a Marlin Mod 39 lever action and a Glenfield Mod 60 semiauto. Based on what will qualify etc., I could use those but I'm really looking to get something that I can be competative with. Based on price vs. qualit, so far my choices are:

*Heavy barrled Rem 597 semiauto with a laminated stock
*TC benchrest semiauto
*Savage Mark II BV bolt with laminated stock and heavy barrel
*Marlin bolt with laminated stock and SS heavy barrel

Thoughts and advice? I'm trying to stay below $400 (although the TC is slightly over...) pluc scope. Thank you for any info.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The factory Target Ruger 10/22 is pretty decent, or if you can pick up a used 10/22 standard model for a decent price, there are aftermarket barrels, stocks, triggers, firing pins, etc. etc.

There are also a few outfits building tack-driver 10/22's ready to go, but I think they're over your $400 limit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: re: 22 choice for target shooting...

wwb said:
There are also a few outfits building tack-driver 10/22's ready to go, but I think they're over your $400 limit.

WWB,

You got any links to these places...wouldn't mind seeing what they offer...some day my plain jane 10/22 will either get a serious face-lift or a twin thats tricked out.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Try www.volquartsen.com - they're the best known, and the one that springs to mind. They'll sell you a finished gun, or they'll work over your 10/22, or they'll sell you the parts to do it yourself.

Any magazine like Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo, or the like usually has a couple ads for 10/22 tackdrivers.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Re: re: 22 choice for target shooting...

mike .308 said:
The CZ is probaly your best bet.
Given the $400 limit, the CZ rifles are worth looking at, but if you're looking for a real serious tack-driver, you'll have to spend more.

CZ doesn't make a rifle that's even close to these specialized target guns. The only big-time manufacturer .22 rifles that are in the same class are the Winchester 52, several models from Anschutz, the Remington 12C Target, and the Remington 37.

These are all rifles that shoot one hole at 50 meters, but cost a bunch more than $400. Comparing CZ's offerings to these babies is like comparing a street car to an F1 racer or a CHAMP car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.