22 choice for target shooting...

Discussion in 'Small Bore' started by bbanbury, Jul 23, 2005.

1. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

Hi everyone. I want to try some small bore/22 target shooting such as the NRA Light Rifle competition. I have a Marlin Mod 39 lever action and a Glenfield Mod 60 semiauto. Based on what will qualify etc., I could use those but I'm really looking to get something that I can be competative with. Based on price vs. qualit, so far my choices are:

*Heavy barrled Rem 597 semiauto with a laminated stock
    *TC benchrest semiauto
    *Savage Mark II BV bolt with laminated stock and heavy barrel
    *Marlin bolt with laminated stock and SS heavy barrel

Thoughts and advice? I'm trying to stay below $400 (although the TC is slightly over...) pluc scope. Thank you for any info.

2. wired

wired Guest

I'm a bit biased, but you may also wanna check CZ. They make some SCARY-accurate rifles, and I believe some of them can be had for less than $400. Excellent triggers, superb barrels.

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

The factory Target Ruger 10/22 is pretty decent, or if you can pick up a used 10/22 standard model for a decent price, there are aftermarket barrels, stocks, triggers, firing pins, etc. etc.

There are also a few outfits building tack-driver 10/22's ready to go, but I think they're over your $400 limit.

4. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

Re: re: 22 choice for target shooting...

WWB,

You got any links to these places...wouldn't mind seeing what they offer...some day my plain jane 10/22 will either get a serious face-lift or a twin thats tricked out.

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

Try www.volquartsen.com - they're the best known, and the one that springs to mind. They'll sell you a finished gun, or they'll work over your 10/22, or they'll sell you the parts to do it yourself.

Any magazine like Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo, or the like usually has a couple ads for 10/22 tackdrivers.

6. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

check out www.rimfirecentral.com theres alot of good info there and they have many vendors listed that do and sell mods for the 10/22

Aaron

7. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

The CZ is probaly your best bet.

8. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: 22 choice for target shooting...

Given the $400 limit, the CZ rifles are worth looking at, but if you're looking for a real serious tack-driver, you'll have to spend more.

CZ doesn't make a rifle that's even close to these specialized target guns. The only big-time manufacturer .22 rifles that are in the same class are the Winchester 52, several models from Anschutz, the Remington 12C Target, and the Remington 37.

These are all rifles that shoot one hole at 50 meters, but cost a bunch more than $400. Comparing CZ's offerings to these babies is like comparing a street car to an F1 racer or a CHAMP car.