22 Hornet reloads help please

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by Anonymous, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm trying to reload 22 Hornets for the first time. I'm useing 13.0 g of LIL'GUN with a 45 g bullet. My problem is the case is almost completely full. It just doesnt look right to me. I believe this will end up being a compressed load, which the manual does not indicate this. My manual is a Hodgdon 2003 edition. This is the only load listed for this powder.
    I have reloaded for years but I never played with compressed loads so I'm a little nervice about this one.

Thanks for any help

2. harold50

harold50 Guest

Years ago when I had a Hornet I reloaded for it.

My experience then was that IMR 4227 was the best powder for it. As I remember, 11.5 grains of that powder would fill the case to the extent that it was a compression load. They weren't particularly accurate but there was no sign of primer cratering or case sticking.

In and of itself a compression load can be safe.

YOU ARE WISE TO GO CAREFULLY. :shock: BACK OFF YOUR LOAD BY AT LEAST 10%, LOAD A FEW (3) CARTRIDGES AT THAT LOWEST STARTING POINT AND THEN 3 MORE EACH AT EACH 1/2 GRAIN OF INCREASING AMOUNTS. THEN TEST AT THE RANGE ( YES!, I KNOW CAPS IN EMAIL IS HOLLERING!).

In other words, work your way up slowly and carefully and you need not fear a compression load.

Best wishes, Harold

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks
    My manual lists H4227 at 11.6 gr with a C after it for compressed. Which is why I shyed away from that one. I asked the guy who sold the dies to me about this. He said I'd be fine with this load.

4. harold50

harold50 Guest

I am sure you know this - but just for safety's sake:

IMR 4227 is not H4227.

IMR = IMR

H = Hodgdon

People tell me they are similar. Being similar is not necessarily being the same. :shock:

When handloading, you must be anal about these kinds of details, for safety's sake. :!:

Enjoy the opportunity to "roll your own". It is great fun. I just bought a hand press so that I can adjust loads right at the range.

Best wishes, Harold

5. timbertoes

timbertoes Guest

DO NOT compress LilGun, as told to me by Hodgdon :)

Call Hogdon, they have great service and will advise you.

and uh, LOL, at ony $7.00, get a new(2004) book !! or maybe find one of the "one book-one caliber" reloading guides.

also check this guys place out
    http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~bkhornet/22hornet.htm

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My best load for my Ruger M77 Hornet is 13 gr Lilgun, small pistol primer under a 45gr softpoint. It does not seem to matter if I use Rem or Win brass, though Rem brass is thinner and has more internal volume, or which brand of primer or even 45gr bullet. It does shoot Barnes 45gr XLC and Sierra 45gr sfpt to a different POI, but they are about equal in accuracy. Another accurate load is 11.7gr Lilgun with a Sierra 52gr BTHPM and small pistol primers.

If you tap the side of the case, the powder will settle a bit, and it won't be quite as compressed.