.22 shorts

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by jcwat, Aug 31, 2005.

1. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

does anyone have any info on .22 shorts?? my friend has a beretta 950b "jetfire" there is no extractor on it. sometimes it does cycle right. (out with the old, in with the new) is there a high velocity .22 short on the market? maybe the extra power will help kick out the spent shell. ???????????? HELP!!!!!

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

JC,
    Is there any particular reason you are shooting shorts? The local stores around here seem to carry LR with shorts being more of a "specialty" item. Maybe not what you want to hear but is the "Jetfire" even chambered to shoot shorts? Some rimfires are for LR only and this might be the culprit, could be a good excuse for buying a new firearm .....

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Isn't the 950 B Jetfire chambered for the 25 ACP which is a centerfire? My old one was and if I remember correctly, the 950 CC Minx was in 22 short. Its been closer to two decades since I've owned mine but I am pretty sure there is an extractor on the various models. If your buddies gun does not have one, then there is your problem; I'm surprised any empties eject from the gun. If the ejection is intermittant it could be due to a damaged extractor or the gun is in need of a cleaning and/or proper lubrication. Beretta is a half way decent gun company so I would suspect that there is likely a mechanical problem hidden in here somewheres. Ammo selection would only be a short term "cure" at best and would probably increase the chance of further or additional breakage.

4. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

ok, he said it's not a "jetfire" the model # is 950 BS. it IS chambered in .22 short. and per beretta, that weapon has no extractor. i was thinking that maybe a more powerful round would solve the ejection problems.

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Beretta may not call it such but there is a device that does remove the empty casing from the chamber so a fresh one can take its place. Most refer to this as an extractor but due to the tilt barrel design of the 950 it may go by a different term. Again, I would recommend field stripping the gun and thoroughly clean and lubricate the gun. You could try a different brand of shorts as maybe the ammo tolerences are too great for proper functioning. This is not common but not unheard of either. If this doesn't work, take the gun to a gunsmith for a check. The gun should work with standard velocity shorts and a switch to high velocity rounds will only maks the problem in the short term at best. Eventually they will not work either, if they even work properly in the first place.