Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Big Yac, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Big Yac

Big Yac Guest

What can anyone tell me about this caliber? My dad had one (before I was born) and got rid of it...again before I was born however there is still alot of .222 ammo here and I was thinking of maybe picking up a gun in this caliber to play with. Whats a good gun in this caliber to get?

Also we have a Savage Sporter in 25-20. Is this a good gun? I know the 25-20 cailiber is fun to play with, have taken some groundhogs with it too. Like most of our other rifles its really not been shot that much and is in really good shape. I guess this is because the 30-06 and .243 get shot the most :D

2. wired

wired Guest

Not sure what all rifles are made in .222 (except for custom ones, perhaps). I haven't heard much about the .222, since the .223 became more popular. Ballistically they're about the same, and it should feel just like shooting a .223 (which means it'll be practical and a lot of fun to shoot). Might have to do some research on who makes a .222 nowadays......

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Before the 223 became a popular plinking/varmint/all-round target caliber, the 222 was THE groundhog and varmint caliber up until about mid-late 1970's. It is not surprising that the 222 was dethroned since mil cartridges tend to gain wide followings by virtue of their military heritage (i.e. availability of lots of cheap ammo and brass) and the ballistics of the two are like Wired said, very close.

To the best of my knowledge, the only guns now chambered in 222 are the Rem 700 BDL (very nice rifle) and perhaps the Ruger (another very nice rifle). I don't thnk any other manufacturer chamber rifles for this caliber nowadays. Another option would be to look for a used rifle. Unless you have A LOT of ammo, a 223 might be cheaper in the long run though.

Safe shooting.

4. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

you should be able to find an old used savage 340 in .222 they can get expesive but u can find some deals on them too and im not sure which remington it was but one of the older 700s i think it was the 788 they are supposed to be rally accurate too. I have a 25-20 I use it for coyotes but not often because ammo is so hard to find for it i dont reload and the closest place that carries it is 5 hours away so it doesnt get used much hope this helps

Aaron

5. Big Yac

Big Yac Guest

I was looking and Remington still offers the .222 in a BDL...its very tempting :)

6. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

the 222 is a superlative mid-range varmit caliber and typically extremely accurate. It held many bench rest records until the advent of the 22 PPC

7. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

Here's the poop on the .222. Ballistically it performs as a .223 does. Meaning the velocities for comparable weight bullets are about the same. You had it correct in saying that ammo is difficult to find for the.222.The .222 is a high performance .22 that indeed proved itself on the benchrest circuit. All this said, if I were to consider purchasing another rifle for small game, I would take a hard look at the .223. Reason being, it's 200+ yard range performance and the plentiful cheap ammo that's available. I usually shoot a 22-250 for my varmint hunting, but recently bought a Tika T-3 in, what else, a .223. Many a Muskrat has gone to Muskrat heaven with that combo.

8. cowpoke

cowpoke Guest

Remington made a batch of 700 ADL in the synthetic stock variety a few years ago in 222. I have one of them, and really like it.

I don't know how you could go wrong with a used 788 or 700 if you were looking to shoot up some of the ammo you have.

Some of the earlier Savages, especially if they have a barrel band were difficult to get very good accuracy out of.

As mentioned above it is an excellent mid range varmint cartridge, and before the PPC cartridges were developed by wildcatters the 222 was the authority in benchrest shooting and held most all the records.

The biggest reason that is lost popularity was with the adoption of the 223 by the military inexpensive brass and ammo for the 223 made it more popular.

9. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:( Saw an old Rem ?722? in .222 ,fair condition, had an antique Weaver scope, for the outlandish :x price of $550.00 Saturday. About $150.00 more than I wanted to put into an "iffy" rifle.
    For only a little more $$$, you get a new one. Guess the dealer is waiting for an oldster looking for a trip down memory lane...
    JMHO///olde 8) pharte///

10. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

a buddy of mine showed me his varmint rifle the other day...a .222 made by BRNO arms..it was a single shot..did some research...can be found but sorta touch...good luck and have fun!

11. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

I recall well when the .222 came out. It hit the shooting world like a whirlwind! It was extremely accurate, and was often used in competition.

Because of it's rather long neck it tends to seat the bullet straighter than does a .223.

I shoot a .52 grain bullet in mine at about 3200 fps, which is just fine for most varmint shooting.

My .222 is a Remington Model 788, one of the most accurate varnint rifles ever made.

I think Remington still makes the .222. Sako used to make them. You may have to search the gun shows to get one, but I love the round and they are worth it.

Certainly you can get a .223, which is very similar. But I like the romance of the .222.

As for a 25-20; that's a very old round. It was loaded in black powder when it first came out (I think). I had a pal who used to shoot deer with on when he was a kid in Texas.......He said it killed deer just fine; but I wouldn't use one for that.

As I recall the 25-20 was first loaded in a Winchester model 92. I'd use one for rabbit hunting, maybe squirrels too. But, I think they are best used to kill beer cans.

12. OZY

OZY Guest

Big Yac,CZ and Sako to my knowledge still make 222's.
    My uncle wanted me to have his 222 before he died,when his estate was settled I didn't get it.Pitty I would have looked after it,I always looked forward to going spotlighting foxs with uncle Dan,his was a Brno with double triggers.
    The new CZ comes with,
    mini mauser action
    adjustable single set trigger
    detachable single stack mag
    I like Sako 75's,I have one myself in 7mm 08.
    Happy gun hunting,
    James.

13. OZY

OZY Guest

My uncle wanted me to have his 222 before he died,when his estate was settled I didn't get it.Pitty I would have looked after it,I always looked forward to going spotlighting foxs with uncle Dan,his was a Brno with double triggers.
    The new CZ comes with,
    mini mauser action
    Happy gun hunting,
    James.

14. OZY

OZY Guest

The new CZ comes with,
    mini mauser action
    Happy gun hunting,
    James.