·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys what in ur oppinion is the best varmint rifle? i say .220 swift

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
It kind of depends on what your use is. The .223 is not in the same class as the other two but it is acceptable for the vast majority of varmints. I have two that I use for all my varmint hunting, a Mossberg SSi-One and an M4 style AR-15. The Mossberg is a single shot and gets used mainly for woodchucks, prairie dogs, and other times I don't think a second shot is a necessity. The AR is used when chasing coyotes with hounds or when I feel multiple dogs might come in when calling. The .223 is nice in that ammo can be had very inexpensively and in a variety of loadings. I had a 22/250 for a while but found that the .223 covered the lower end of the scale just fine and my 6mm handled the higher end the few times I needed it. Several buddies still have them as well as a few with Swifts and I don't see much difference between them. If I were to get another gun to replace the 6mm, the .22/250 would be my pick over the Swift due to ammo availability and price. If I were to be limited to only one .22 centerfire it is a dead heat between the .223 and the .22/250. They both have their strengths and weaknesses though I would lean towards the .223 if I didn't reload due to price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
22-250 no real particular reason it the only 22 centerfire i have ever shot or have. i dont use it much because i dont hunt varmints if i did though i was use my 270 WSM

·
Registered
101 Posts
I voted swift.
Many factory loadings have the 22-250 at a higher velocity.
223 in areas where noise is an issue

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
uh oh .223 is in the lead now :roll: i guess we have lots of M4 and mini-14 lovers here :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: re: .223, .22-250, or .220 swift?

Maser said:
uh oh .223 is in the lead now :roll: i guess we have lots of M4 and mini-14 lovers here :D
Fine gun models, but no. I prefer a NEF Handirifle, a single shot. wastes less ammo, and you make your shots count, yake your time for a clean kill. (The most important aspect, right after SAFETY!) Excellent round for varmits, I've even taken a small Texas deer or two, (does, 50 yard shots.) Not my first recommendation for shooting one, though- those days were long ago. Yes, the 223 is a versatile caliber, indeed.

TxVa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts