.223 bolt?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by shotgun minister, Nov 27, 2005.

1. I'm wondering if there is such an animal. If there is it might look good next to my .303. Of course I can't afford it now anyway but I can always have to look forward to.

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

A more accurate question would be, "Does anyone who makes a bolt action NOT make it in .223?" Pick any brand and they should have one.

3. Re: re: .223 bolt?

okay I apoligse I should have specified better. I'm looking for one in the under $500 price range. Open sights are a requirement. And a wood stock is a requirement.

4. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Requiring open sights limits your choice significantly as the cartridge and gun are designed for long range shooting of small targets. The only models I know of with sights are the CZ 572 (?) and Remington 700 BDL and ADL. I think the ADL is being discontinued and the ones I've seen have synthetic stocks but prices have been $350 or less . The BDL meets all your physical requirements but price is right in the $500 range. Same goes for the CZ. Open sights were much more popular on these guns a a decade or two ago and you might have better success on the used rack.

5. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Savage makes a youth model in 223 w/ iron sights but for around 400, you can also get a Savage package (w/ Simmons scope). The scopes are not the best optics but work ok for most situations.

The AR15 guys shoot peeps but having a scope will let you get the best accuracy and performance from this fun cartridge. I bought a Savage 12Fv heavy barrel for 400 and added another 100 for scope and now have a neat shooter which drives tacks and costs relatively little to shoot a couple boxes at the range.

6. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol hey ditch the bolt action .223 and get a ranch rifle (mini-14)

7. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

Re: re: .223 bolt?

im thinking he wants to hit something with the gun, so mini14 is out

8. bgoldhunter

bgoldhunter Well-Known Member

Those minis are seriously lacking in the accuracy department, to be sure!

Model 7's also can come in wood w/ sights, but not too many manuf's are putting sights on any more. I think you can find one under 5 bills.

9. wired

wired Guest

It's the CZ 527. There's several different variants. If you find a decent shop, you should be able to find one under $500. Several of those variants have open sights, and all but one or two have wooden stocks. A 527 in .223 is on my short list of rifles I need in the future, whenever I can bring myself to spend the money. Damn nice rifles.

10. Re: re: .223 bolt?

There very few things in which you can not do with a good bolt rifle or a good pump shotgun. perhaps after you grow up you will learn that firepower is not every thing.

Thanks guys for the helpful suggestions. The reason I'm looking for a .223 is I am looking for a cheap to fire centerfire. I've looked at the ammo suppliers and .223 seems to be the easiest to find. The reason for a bolt is because of it's simplicity and accuracy. I'd probably use the gun mainly for disposing of stray dogs and/or other undesireable critters.

11. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

if its just for that, have you considered a Mosin-Nagant? very inexpensive gun and ammo.

12. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol sorry guys but i just think its boring to sit there and take long boring shots like a minute apart :roll: lol i need to have more action in my shooting sessions :twisted:

13. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

it doesnt take but a few seconds longer per shot when using a bolt action

14. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol i know i was just being a smartass :p but yea iv seen some shooters at my rifle range i go to take as much time as almost 5 mins in between shots :roll: lol ppl like that make me nervous

15. bgoldhunter

bgoldhunter Well-Known Member

It's not about the quantity of the shots, but the quality. Try running a 10 shot string that you can cover with a nickel. That is shooting...anyone can spray lead at paper.

16. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

people like you make me nervous

17. Maser

Maser Super Member

18. Re: re: .223 bolt?

Your choice of words speaks volumes. In real world shooting situations there are no "sessions." You stalk an animal for days the when the chance to shoot finaly comes you damn well better make a kill shot. Hence prefer a bolt. If all you do is shoot old appliances that's one thing, but to hunt animals which ain't going to stand waiting for you expend excessively high quantities of ammo is quite another.

19. Re: re: .223 bolt?

+10

20. wired

wired Guest

And we wonder why Shotgunworld.com gave you the pink slip :roll: . Speaking of which, I noticed how well your own shooting forum is going. Congrats on that. Keep up the good work.

Shotgunminister, you've picked pretty much the perfect rifle for what you're going to be doing. It's a great caliber/rifle combo for pest removal at decent ranges, and the ammo is dirt cheap (and reloads cheap, too!). Let us know what you get!