Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an avid fan of the .22LR I inherited a marlin 60 just two months ago and have come to the realization that not all .22lr ammo is made the same. Remington and Fedral seem to make the most consistant.

I have also slowly been collecting reloading equipment. So far I have a die set, calipers, and a good scale.

I've been playing with the calipers mostly and now am wondering how would I go about finding out what the optimal overall cartridge length for my marlin should be, and how would I go about figuering out?

Also I know .22lr is a rimfire cartridge, but I've also heard rumors that there is a way to reload them. Has anyone heard anything?

Lastly, what .22lr ammo do you like?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PMC sidewinders? I tried a brick of those and according to my records I ran into 15% duds and also ejection issues. Also after they are fired they smelled like superglue :? But the remingtons are cool beans =) About the reloading thing i only ask because there is an old guy at my range that swears up and down that the American Indians used to do it back in the day. Would be nice to make some custom match loads for the .22lr

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad, the reloading dies aren't for the .22lr, they are for the 30-06 I bought it hasn't come in yet, but I'm sitting on them. Can't wait to start reloading.

So no dice on the reloading of .22lr?

I have an interesting idea. If REALLY want to reload the .22lr would it be possible for me to pull the bullet from an unfired case, dump the powder, stick new powder in and also new bullet? Do you guys think IYO that there would be any appreciable difference?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
homemade priming mix?

What is in a primer in the first place?

Can I safely crack a primer cap open and use the material inside mixed with everclear to make a paste?

Better question, Can I safely crack a primer open????

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Maser that was the initial intent of the thread, then it became a what if and can you. I've gained a better understanding of what it takes to make a .22lr than what I have found on the internet. Thank you everyone for the helpfull input :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts