.22lr story

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by The_Cook, Sep 20, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Following story about the 1973 .22lr marlin I inherited 2months ago

My Marlin 60 needs a trip to the gunsmith now cause my barrel has developed a wobble, a metal piece on the trigger housing broke off (not critical) and I put a kink in the spring that pushes the action back :cry: course then again, in the two months that I have owned it I have put over 13000 rnds through it.
    I can hit a 5in x 5in target at 400yrds with the .22 I had to buy this wierd scope mount that moved it to the left side of the gun off of the barrel because the scope has been shimmed so much that the barrel get's in the way :cry:

Barrel rifling is still good, no copper fouling, no lead fouling, shiny and new. If not for the new wobble the thing was a tack driver.
    I think the wobble developed last week after a bad pot hole on sherman way in the trunk. The kink I don't know when that happened but it didn't affect anything, and the trigger housing broke when I took the gun apart to find out why the wobble.

Thankfully I have a 30-06 now. I can now fix everything on the .22 and return the scope to it's proper mount and give it a 100yrd zero

Anyone know of a good Gunsmith in the LA area?

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Okay Cooky,

I can take a little truth stretching. Just like any other guy, I too have stretched it once or twice myself.

BUT!.... 400 YDS with a 22LR? At a 5x5 target? Maybe...not likely! PLease, remeasure or retract

HWD

3. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

HWD is right. 400yd is way to far for a .22lr.

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

IT CAN BE DONE!!!

not on all ammunition tho'
    Remingtons Gold round nose that is calipered after finding the right bullet seating length can do 300yrds consistantly 9x9in
    So can federal
    You can do 400yrds with both but it opens up to like 32in. left or right 12in. up and down.
    And you don't need sandbags to do it either. You do have to be sitting at a bench tho.

But with this german stuff I found called
    "Jagd-Und-Sportmunitions GMBH Schonebeck/Elbe .22lr Standard Plus" it's a wierd subsonic matchtarget round that cost a bunch $45 for a brick. OAL for this round is .980 +/- .002 out of a brick of 500 only three rnds fell below the tolerances and not by much. It's a good round for my .22 because the bullets have only an average of .003 from my rifling.

You can do it. the problem you run into with 400yrds with .22lr is that you have to stick the scope off the barrel because it gets in the way. But like I said, now that i have a 30-06 I'm going to put the .22lr back into sorts.

5. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

6. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

The Cook,

Your right, you can hit a target at 400yds away with .22 as long as you aim 50ft above the target!!!

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Mike you are right, my scope has about 12 sheets of paper put underneith on the rear scope ring.