.25 WSSM?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by pigeonhunter, Mar 15, 2005.

1. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

Does anybody here have any opinions on the 25 WSSM?

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

P-Hunter,

JMO but I've not shot any of the WSSM family since my 25-06 has done the job for many years and I don't have any real desire to do so. The 25 WSSM is a short version of the 25-06 and nothing wrong with that and it is supposed to duplicate the 25-06 for most intents. But I still like the aesthetics of the longer rounds and actions and if I really feel the need to get faster cycling of the action well there are some nice pumps and autos out there. From a purely practical perspective, I think the 25-06 has an edge but who has ever bought a firearm for this reason alone? If you have your heart set on the WSSM or just have the hankering to try something different, by all means go for it.

Safe shooting.

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

PH,

Before making your purchase, find someone who has one and shoot it. Some of the newer rounds only duplicate older rounds,as Mountainveiw said above. After the way my wife's 243WSSM shoots(badly) compared to my 243 win(Interarms Mark X), a new Browning 243Win and a Rem700 ADL, I wish she'd have bought another 243WIN. The extra 200fps,expense of shells and lack of accuracy makes this a fine gun to take to the next gunshow in my opinion. The rifle belongs to her so this a decision that she'll have to make,not me.

Any of the newer short cartridges that I've shot haven't impressed me enough to consider buying them just yet. Maybe I'm just an old fashion guy but give me the older proven rounds please.

HWD

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

Kind of in line with what HWD says... it's been my experience that every time you try to go balls-to-the-wall with any caliber, the groups get bigger, unless you're shooting with a HEAVY barrel to minimize the effect of the violence that results from big powder charges and high pressures.

A classic example is my '06 - with 165 grain bullets, it'll shoot 3/4 inch groups at 2900 fps muzzle velocity. At 3000 fps, it's 1-1/2 to 2 inch groups. The only difference is a couple grains of powder. There may be an exception where a hotter load groups better, but I haven't come across it yet.

If you already have a well-stocked gun safe, then by all means, be the first on your block to have a .25 WSSM. If this is your first rifle, get a .243 Win, a .25-'06, a .270 Win, or something similar, depending on what you intend to do with it.

5. harold50

harold50 Guest

Love mine. It is light to lug and shoots well.

Have just started reloading for it but haven't been to the range yet.

Have shot a box of 120 grain bullets loaded by Winchester. Recoil is very manageable. When I say manageable - I don't like 30-06 recoil, 270 is just tolerable. 25WSSM seems much lighter in the recoil depatment.

Best wishes,

Harold

6. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

Perhaps you might get a reloading book like Hornady or Sierra and compare ballistics. The lastest edition of "Cartridges of the World" is chocked full of info. I have heard that these super shorts are sometimes difficult to chamber. And I have to agree with some of the other responders in saying that some of these new rounds do in fact dupicate old chamberings. It's an old present wrapped up in new paper at twice the price :D And hey, is Harold the Harold I used to chat with about 22-250's way back in Dec? If so, hello.

7. harold50

harold50 Guest

270 Shooter

I'm not he. Don't misunderstand me when I talk about recoil. I'd still be lugging the .270 if the new Winchester 25 WSSM wasn't so much lighter.

That ADL .270 with Sierra 90 gr. hollow-points is a terror on woodchucks. Remington 130 grain core-lokts make deer give up quickly.

I know I'm carrying a something between 257 Roberts & 25-06 when I lug this new rifle. It weighed only 6 lbs to start and has a 3x9x40 VX1 to top it off. With mounts and a couple of shells it's not much over 7lbs.

At first I didn't want it because it is an oddball cartridge. Then I said the heck with it and bought some brass and dies. Will try some 90 gr hollow-point Sierras out of it Saturday. I'll be back with a report.

Best wishes, Harold

8. harold50

harold50 Guest

Went to the range with 90 grain Sierra's.

See Handloading forum here for report.

Harold