.270 WSM

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by VO2 Junkie, Mar 8, 2005.

1. VO2 Junkie

VO2 Junkie Guest

Hi All-
    I'm in the market for a new caribou/antelope rifle.
    I would like a .270 WSM with synthetic stock and stainless barrell. I initially had my eye on the Tikka T3 Lite but have lost interest in that due to the recall situation.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

The Savage 16FSS is a nice rifle in .270 for the money.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Vo2junkie the savage is alot of gun for the money and CZ rifles are super values and am told they come in 270WSM,I have never heard of a CZ that won't shoot 1 MOA or better.I just bought a remington CDL and like it alot,I have a target I shot 5 shots at 125 yards and is all 5 under 1 inch.There are alot of good values out there.Winchester super shadow is another,weatherby vanguard,Howa.I'm sure I'm missing some good names.Drop-Shot

4. hikerbum

hikerbum Guest

I do not own one, but have held them and know people that love them.

Try a Kimber. A little more money than the others mentioned, but a great reputation.

5. wired

wired Guest

I'll second the vote on CZ. I've got two (even though they're rimfires), and I'm considering getting another one in .223 or .243 pretty soon. Very well made.

Savage is a good way to go. Never shot one myself, but I've messed around with them before and heard a lot of good reviews from my buddies that have them. Cost-effective, too.

I would also recommend Ruger, because they're well-made and the price is usually pretty good. The triggers can be hit-or-miss, though. Some seem to be better than others. I've got a crisp but slightly heavy pull on mine, and so does my brother-in-law, but I've had a lot of people say theirs were gritty and nasty. If you look at one, you may want to ask if you can dry-fire it once just so you can feel the trigger pull.

6. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Put me down for the Savage, accurate. Get one of these and you'll likely have enough scratch left over for some good optics to put up on top or a set of dies. The other rifles mentioned are also nice rigs but one other feature I like about Savage is that the Accutrigger is easily adjusted and good to go right out of the box without having to get an aftermarket trigger and/or making a trip to the local gunsmith.

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Mmmmmmmmm, ot to go with the Winchester in this calibr.Especially a classic action.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point I enjoyed handling a winchester classic this past weekend and had a hard time putting it down.Mabe in the future.Drop-Shot