30-06 and Africa

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by The_Cook, Sep 23, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Has anyone been able to goto africa and hunt big game with 30-06? Will a 220grn Solid Copper Barnes X bullet be enough to kill a cape buffalo, hippo, or lion?
    If 30-06 isn't enough what would be the catridge to go with?
    My criteria for said catridge is.
    1. Not to much dinero I'm hoping $500 max maybe $750 I just don't feel right about spending $1000 on a firearm.
    2. Sturdy and Utillitarian. The closer the gun resembles a tube with a trigger the happier I am.
    3. Widely popular ammo, able to walk into BFE corner store and be able to find the catridge, and also lots of reloading components available online.

I assume also a handgun is a must on safari. What kinda revolver should I look into?

2. grimel

grimel Guest

30-06 isn't legal for dangerous game in most parts of Africa. 375 is the minimum.

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Cook,
    When dealing with something that could kill or maim you,I'd think that you'd want the biggest/baddest thing that you could shoot well and fast! When going on a hunt that takes you out of state or the country, you should take the best equipment that you can afford.

Why spend up to $10k or more on the hunt hunt and try to go cheap on the equipment?

HWD

4. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

For antelope and smaller game yes, but for lion, and cape bufallo you'd have to be out of your mind. If you want to commit suicide use a .243 instead.

5. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I have no idea what it costs to hunt in africa. 10k :shock: 10k :shock: I think I'll put off the trip to Africa until after I get my own restaurant up and running. As for the best equipment, from what I have had the opportunity to shoot it doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer you buy from, everything i've shot (thanks to the kindness of other shooters) so far seems to do about 2"-5" at 200yrds. If I can do something on the cheap without sacrificing quality I'll always go for it. One of the reasons why I decided to go with the 30-06 Remington 700sps.

Sooooo since 30-06 is not enough gun for Cape buffalo..... What do you guys recommend? .357 H&H, .416 weatherby magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum, 50BMG?

6. mike .308

A .375 to a .458 is plenty powerful for lion and cape buffalo.

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Gun wise, which one is more affordable? Can I use either of them on moose and bear in the US?

8. mike .308

A .375 would probaly be the most affordable and cheapest to shoot. On bear a .375 would be fine, but on moose let's just say you wouldn't do much eating. On moose a .300 mag or a .338 would be more than enough.

9. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

.375 to big for moose? but okay for bear and buffalo. COOL BEANS! I'll go on the net and start the search. I'll repost over here when I find something. THANKS MUCH ALL! :D Actually I just realized Remington don't make .357 H&H anyone know where I can find manufacturer of this caliber rifle?

10. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Okay found out two things. I won't be buying a .357 H&H until I can eat truffles and foigras on a weekly basis. Big game hunting ingeneral is out of reach for the poor, and a strech for the middle class.

DAMN YOU MR. BINGSLEY! DAMN YOU!!!!

11. grimel

grimel Guest

Okay, come back to reality. It's cheaper to goto Africa than Alaska to hunt. Unless you just HAVE to try for dangerous game a 30-06 w/ 180gr partions will be enough. Is it ideal? No, but, it is enough IF you can SHOOT. If you can't shoot NOTHING is enough. Shooting is NOT nice groups off a bench. Shooting is hitting a softball from field positions (sitting, prone, kneeling, standing). What ever distance you can hit softballs is your MAX distance from that postition (expect to be kneeling and standing in high grass areas).

What type of bear? Black bear 30-06 is good. In fact a 30-06 will take ANY non-dangerous game in North Amercia (including elk and moose). Magnums are not required. Magnums are a detriment to most people.

Brown/grizzly bears, cape buffalo, and other things that will kill you graveyard dead: Big is good, but big for big's sake is INSANE. The 375 H&H is the max controllable recoil for most people. It will kill anything on this planet. The ammo is available "every where". Like most other things it's bullet choice and placement. Shoot a moose with it and eat hardy.

If you just want a bigger gun for African plains game and dangerous North American game the 35 Whelen, 350 Rem Mag, & 338-06 are hard to beat for max damage to critter with minimal damage to shooter. Next step up 338 Win Mag. This thing kicks out of proportion to it's size. I'd step over this and go straight to a slightly down loaded 375 H&H or 376 Steyr.

12. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Guest

If that's as accurate as any of my rifles or myself could shoot, I would throw all of them out and give up on shooting/hunting.

Oh Cookie, if that is as accurate as you can get, I strongly reccomend some lessons.

13. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

With my . 22lr marlin 60 and 30-06 rem 700sps 1"-2" groups 200yrds with barska 3-9x32mm scope standing.

Other peoples guns are other peoples guns.

I just realized something, you don't need double barrel rifle action when hunting those big dangerous african game. Is it safe enough to hunt cape buffalo with a boltaction? Cause if you can do that the prices on the guns drops to an acceptable level.

14. grimel

grimel Guest

Re: re: 30-06 and Africa

If you have a Marlin 60 capable of 2" at 100yds keep it. If you can shoot the 60 so that it get 2" groups at 100yds you shouldn't be asking these questions.

That said, 2-5" groups (depending on the rifle type) at 200yds is MORE than good enough for big game at reasonable (300yds, under 200 for 30-30 class) ranges.

That said, you REALLY need to learn something about really/big dangerous game, hunting, and firearms in general before making all of your pronouncements. On a guess (moderately random) I'd say 90% of all African professional hunters (guides to you) use a bolt action.

15. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

FYI to make where I come from alittle more clear. Never owned a gun until about 2 1/2 months ago. I am 24yrs old now. I knew they existed, didn't really care, don't have friends that own guns, so no incling or opportunity to try. Inherited marlin 60 from granthfather 2 1/2 months ago, discovered i'm good at it, purchased a bunch of books, have fired 12000 rounds, purchased a 30-06 four weeks ago, reloaded twice, gearing up for first deer hunt, hoping to get breach loading 12ga. for turkey season, looking to the horizon.

For the most part aside from my one rant, I'm just trying to soak up the information like a sponge, so when you stop and go, why the heck is he asking that? Just curious.

Sorry, I just have the Mr. livingston I presume stuck in my head when I think of big game hunting and the guns used. To much movies. Well that said, the price to get a gun that will allow me to take bigger game will be much more affordable.

Thank you much for the everyone.

16. grimel

grimel Guest

That's all great, grand, and glorious. But, it doesn't change the likelyhood of finding a Marlin M60 that shoots 2" 200yd groups. In absolute terms a 2" 200yd group makes for a 1" 100yd and 1/2 in 50yd groups, but, in reality it's more like a 1/2 50yd rifle is a 1.25in 100yd rifle which is a 2.75in 200yd rifle. It has to do with the stabilization of a bullet from a given rifle. AND a one time freak group doesn't define a rifle's accuraccy, but, it's typical group.

If you really have a consistant 2" 200yd Marlin M60 it's roughly the equivalent of winning the Powerball Lottery 2 weeks in a row. Nothing against the Marlin M60 it and the Ruger 10/22 are probably the most common 22 rifles in existance.

17. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

In reality, the 375 H&H leaves more undamaged meat than a 300 mag or a 338. :idea: The bigger and slower bullet doesn't fragment; it leaves a nice clean hole. I particularly like the 375 for elk and moose. When using a 270 gr bullet in the 375, you get the same trajectories as using 180s in a 30-06. :idea: :wink:

One of the things an African Professional Hunter likes to see is a hunter show up in camp with a good 30-06 with 200 or 220 grain bullets. If not hunting dangerous game, the '06 performes quite well, and African animals are harness leather tough! I use a J.P. Sauer 3000 drilling in 12ga/12ga/30-06 for Africa much the time, and have never felt under-gunned for plains game, with the possible exception of ghemsbok...A wounded oryx will have a go at you, and might just win. Carry 220s in a good tough expanding bullet, and the 30-06 will work just fine. :D

I had a friend who worked for the Parks Dept. in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, many years ago. He was a shooter on elephant culls and used a Winchester Mdl 70 in 30-06 with 220 solids. Since the cullers had to shoot 50 to 100 elephants in a day, they needed something that wouldn't hammer them too early in the day. Many cullers shot 9,3X62s...similar to a 35 Whalen, with 286gr solids and softs as follow ups. The Whalen and 9,3X62 use 30-06 size cases. The 9,3 is just slightly different, but still almost exactly the same case capacity. The 30-06 is one of the most widely used calibers for Leopard, by the way.

The '06 is a Wonder Round, respected in Africa and Europe, as well as here in the US!

18. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

To paraphrase.... The 30-06 will do fine in africa. Just don't shoot a capebuffalo or bigger your liable to get gored.

What is oryx and ghemsbok? do they taste good?

19. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Guest

Do you bother cleaning your guns? Or do you even know how?
    I for one hope you take an '06 to Africa and that they actually allow you to use it, then there would be no more ridiculous posts from you.

20. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

GWP your parents didn't do thier job very well did they? So far with every post you have answered there has been absolutly nothing constructive. You are bitter we know that. Let me tell you something your mother should have told you along time ago. "If you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all". Your personal shortcomings are a relfection of poor parenting.

And yes I'm a fastidious cleaner of my guns. The bore is prestine and mirror shiny in my marlin 60 <- 12000+ rounds
    and so is my Remington 700sps 200rnds.