30/06 or 7 mag

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by showmeboy, Jan 30, 2005.

1. showmeboy

showmeboy Guest

I am looking at two rifles a Rem 710 30/06 or a Savage 110 7 mag, and having trouble deciding. Both are from friends and have shot both. Both have been taken care of, and I know both have hadvery few rounds through them. Now here is my dilema, the 7 seems to have a little better ballistics, but the 30/06 makes a little bigger whole. I already have a 7mm Mauser whichs works well, but would like to buy a new, faster, longer range rifle. Both are within $25 of each other.

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Remington will shoot me if they find out I went against them but I pick the Savage.If you said a model 700 I would have went that way,but the 110 is a better rifle than the 710. There are a few guys here who are going to try and tell me I'm wrong because they have them . I go with what my gun shop friends tell me about thae 710 and not what a few individuals say. They are up on the latest news about what is out there.

3. goose

goose Guest

For 350 you can pick up the 111 savage which i like a little better then the 110 (personal opionion) feels a little more sturdy

This comes in a wide range of rounds and has the accu trigger

available at every walmart in the usa.

not to be supporting walmart as the idiots think a bar safari 2 is a millitary submachine gun which was a browning bar but i am not dumb enough to go to walmart and ask for that lol.

If you know what you want though you can not beat their price or their no hassle garuntees.

They also cary the package deals with a scope bore sighted which is pretty close to being on target.

Those run about 4 i think.

Should go to walmart .com and check out the ones they sell. they even have some with the thumbhole sporter stocks and those just fit so nice but i am unsure what caliber those were available in being they are mainly a varmint gun.

just my 2 cents on savages and how cheap you can pick them up for new.

4. goose

goose Guest

p.s. they also cary the howa 1500 & lightnings which are by all rights the exact same as a weatherby vanguard and they run around 350 to 4 as well

5. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Showme,

Which rifle do you prefer and feel most comfortable with? Since you are the one who is going to be pulling the trigger, good fit and "feel" should not be overlooked. If the Savage has the Accutrigger, that would be a real plus as it is a top notch trigger.

To me the difference between the 30-06 and 7 mag are not all that significant in most hunting situations but if you are looking for a flatter shooter the 7 mag has a bit of an edge. I initially went with a 30-06 over a 7 mag in my Savage 110 because of the ammo cost (I was shooting factory ammo at the time). If ammo cost is not an issue, I'd say it would be hard to go wrong with either caliber so go with the one that you like the best.

Safe shooting.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only thing you haven't mentioned is specificially what game,( if any ) you are going to hunt with this rifle. Sure, the 7mm has better ballistics than the 30-06, but not in my opinion worth the recoil, or the price of the shells. Not to mention that there are more bullet weights offered for the 30-06, (especially if you are a hand loader) than the 7mm. Can you sorta of see which direction I'm trying to steer you then? I know of many, many guys that have become flichers and in general poor shots because of the 7mm's heavy recoil. Perhaps the recoil will not bother you, but it is definietly worth looking into before you part with the dough. By the way, I've taken several Elk, mule deer and lots of Antelope with my .270. Good flat shooter, but if I had to buy my rifle again, it would be chambered in the versatile 30-06.

7. cobra

cobra Guest

I'm with 8point, and normally I would pick a 30-06 any other time. But in this case the 110 gets the nod over the 710. As far as that goes after having most of the domestic makes over the years I would pick the Savage over most of them as far as accuracy, durability and reliability. If you hunt in crappy weather, no question the Savage. But it is uglier than hell. :D

8. asylum keeper

asylum keeper Active Member

DO NOT GET A 710 !! I love Remington, but the 710 sucks! friend bought one, and the bolt handle FELL OFF! after only a couple boxes of ammo!! And I would go for a 7mm magnum over a .30-06 any day.

7mm has a bit of a bite, but get a muzzle brake and it will be very tame.

9. nicolisd

nicolisd Guest

110 all the way, however, the 7mm may be a longer rifle and may cause a few headaches in a box stand if you are hunting deer.

Too bad it aint a 110 in 06.......

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Good call Nicolisd,I've owned both all my life and I'm old.For open country 7mm mag,but for all else the 30/06 shines.I used to own a weatherby in 7 mm weatherby mag and it kicked,but on open country muleys or long shot white tails was great and with game I never noticed the recoil,so take a pick and tell us why you picked it.Drop-Shot

11. mak48

mak48 Guest

gotta go with the consensus on this one, calling remingtons 710 a disapointment would be a severe understatement, IMOand experience its their worst gun since the 742, and I hope no 742 supporters jump on me for that, this is purely personal opinion. the savage is an excellent gun, but because of their akwardly oversized bolts, which i'm told contributes to accuracy, the .30-06 would be better than the 7mm. BUT!!!
    I NEVER expected to say this, because of savages large bolt you could be better of with a short action like a .308 or an ultra mag. but for the record I am far more supportive of the long action. ( its just those bolts make an aught six action feel like an elephant gun)

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Mak48 how many 742's have you owned?I had one I traded many years ago and bought one about 1 year ago and only my death will make me part with it.This one only had about 1/2 dozen boxes shot through it.I have the 6 empty boxes.I will say it's not as accurate as some bolt guns,1/34-2 inch groups as of now,I plan on making those numbers shrink.The bolt rotates in to 4 locking lugs on each side(8 in all)and is tighter than a BAR by a long shot,sorry if you had problems with one but the ones I owned and still have are great shooters with no malfunctions.Drop-Shot

13. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Mark48,

Those of us who shoot elephant guns for fun think that the '06 feels like a toy, and a 308 is just plain dissatisfying. :wink: :wink:

All kidding aside, you won't ever go wrong with a 30-06. It is the most versitile smaller to medium bore ever. I like its light recoil and range of bullet options. I had a friend who used a Win Mdl 70 in '06 with 220gr solids to cull elephant in Zimbabwe back when it was still Rhodesia. A 7mm mag or 308 wouldn't have worked nearly as well. I use this for illustration of the vast range of capability you get in a 30-06 and wouldn't expect anyone here to go off culling any dangerous game with any 30 caliber. It also shoots a 150 gr bullet flatter and faster than a 270 shoots a 150 gr...but not much.

I would pick a Savage 110 based action rifle over the 710 Remington, hands down. Remington has to re-think the 710, IMHO.

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey Mak48 don't stop posting on account of the 742 post,we love controversey.if everybody agreed we would have a boring site,keep em coming buddy.Drop-Shot

15. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Go for the savage.