30-06 reloads

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by Big Yac, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Big Yac

Big Yac Guest

I have a sweet load for my 30-06 using IMR 4895 and Sierra 180gr BTHP matchkings. It gives me nice groups from 100 yards out to 300 plus yards. However, I'm going to try Reloader 19 with Sierra 190gr BTHP matchkings and Norma brass. Does anyone have any experience with these components? Does anyone have any other good 30-06 reloads? These would be used for long range shooting and some ground hog shooting since we cant use rifles for deer in Ohio.

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

If you're not shooting big animals, you don't need the 180's or 190's. Try a 165 to 170 grain match bullet; you'll get a little higher velocity, a little flatter trajectory, and, depending on what the twist is in your barrel, probably a tighter group.

Different guns behave differently, but my '06 does its best with a little less than a full-house load - 56.5 gr of Hodgdon 4350 with a 168 gr Sierra Game King.

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I've loaded 110hp,130SP,125 BT and 130HP for my last 300WM and had a ball with them. If shooting whistlepigs,these'll splatter them an GOOD! Check 'em out. That's the reason that we reload,to try stuff that's not offered. Enjoy....

HWD

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Reloader 19 is an excellent powder and doesn't get quirky easily. The 168 gr bullets would be my choice for what you are doing, since they are quite accurate and have good trajectory. I don't much like Norma brass, as it is a bit soft and stretches worse than one of my rubber ckecks. :wink: Just ask anyone who has used Weatherby brass for all these years... I use a lot of Norma for my European calibers, since it is what is available. Now that RWS is also Norma and vica-versa, the Norma brass seems to be improving and is a bit harder...stretchs less if it is some of the newest brass. It has always been quite uniform, but changes too much as you reload it several times...luv2

5. Big Yac

Big Yac Guest

well, I'm going to go with the Reloader 19 and Sierra 168gr Matchking BTHP. Thanks for all the replies. This is a great forum.