300 WBY Loads......

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by BlackIce, Aug 2, 2005.

1. BlackIce

BlackIce Guest

I am sorta new to reloading..... I did it as a kid...... I am looking for a great load for whitetail..... and a load for Elk,Bear and other larger game....

I was talking to a guy about a load I've seen on the internet.... it was a 110gr JSP load.... The person I was talking to said it was too light of a grain and it would cook the meat with the velocity.... The man seem experienced enough.... but I am no stanger to ballistics... So I was thinking a lighter grain bullet would travel a faster and not be able to expand enough and just blow through the medium with little damage to the meat.

So any advise, experience would greatly be appreciated....

I am looking for a complete setup.... Powder, Primer & Bullet.

Thanks

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Probably a 110 grain 30 cal bullet is constructed too lightly to hold together for anything larger than a coyote, and this will be magnified at 300 WBY velocities. I'm just about convinced it wouldn't make it reliably into the vitals. Better bet woud be a 180 or 200 grain bullet for this cartridge. Something like a Nosler accu-bond or partition.

3. BlackIce

BlackIce Guest

I understand what you are saying but 180gr is a little much for Michigan Whitetail. Maybe a Nosler 135gr BST.... But I need a solid receipe... Flat and tight...... if all possible

4. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

If your deer are that light BlackIce, then I think I would load down to .30-06 levels and use a 150 ballistic tip or some such. If you hit a deer with the loads you are talking about I think you'll end up throwing away the entire front half due to meat damage FWIW

5. BlackIce

BlackIce Guest

I use a 165gr BST load from weaherby right now.... but I am thinking of making a few handloads..... and I am trying to see if someone cooked up a good load.

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

You really need to reconsider this load. I loaded some of them in a 300 WinMag and dang did them thangs cook! Groundhogs didn't quite explode but....YUCK!! Pat was right on the construction of these.They have thin jackets and are made to basically explode on contact. If you'll read some of the texts listed in your reloading manual,They even state in there that the heavier bullets do less damage due to punching thru versus exploding. Better penetration,kenetic energy and all that.

Your deer up north are much bigger than what we have down here.I wouldn't think shooting one our small deer with this load.
    Just my opinion!

HWD

7. BlackIce

BlackIce Guest

So what would you recommend...... I was thinking of 165gr TBX (Barens) For whitetail and elk........ one load if possible..... or should I jump up to a 180gr.

What powder, grain and primer would be the best......
    I am looking at H1000..... and I guess Fed #215 primer with Norma brass....... ?????

What would be a good reloading book?

8. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

You might want to try the 180's. Those Barnes bullets are supposed to be pretty good. Personally,I can't justify the price of them when there are other choices that don't hurt your pocket book so bad and kill just as cleanly.

In my 300 WinMag,I use either h4831sc or H1000 with just about all loads. You may find these to work fine but remember that what works fine in one rifle won't work in another. All you can do is load 5 and shoot it. It may take ya the rest of the summer to get that ONE LOAD that shoots little tiny groups. To me though, that's the fun of it. In the mean time you're also becoming more familiar with your rifle.
    As for the primers and brass...All I use are FED215 primers for my Mag Rifles. Norma makes some good brass.You may want to buy some Rem brass also. A box of factory Rem shells may cost ya less than 20 pieces of Norma brass. Shoot the factory stuff and retain the brass for loading. Bulk brass is also available thru just about any of the Mail-order places.

Hope I've helped some without being too long winded!
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

HWD

9. BlackIce

BlackIce Guest

Thanks for the advise...... 180gr sounds good...... I'll reload some and try them out......

10. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

Black Ice, How did your .300 Wea. loads turn out. We have had great luck with IMR 4350 and 150's and 165's. If your set, no problem. I was looking back at the stuff from earlier posts and saw this and wondered how things turned out. :?: :?:

11. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

Wyo,
    What load do you use with the IMR 4350 & 165's?
    I found that 73gr with Sierra Game Kings makes nice small groups out of my 300wby Vanguard @ about 2990fps.
    I haven't tried that on white tail yet...

12. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

:D, Zerbe, For my .300 Wea. and the 165 grain Serria hollowpoints (I think these are game kings) I use 78.5 grains of IMR 4350. I have a 26 inch barrel, and it checked out over the chronograph at just over 3400fps. I have used these bullets for probably close to 40 years. :shock: They are very soft, but are super on lung shots. The guy who recommended them to me, used them in one of the first .300 Wea.'s I ever saw. It was a custom job, not one of Roy's. Over the years, I have shot several thousand away. Just before I retired, I bought a bunch, and now they are about gone. :cry: So I will have to resupply. :roll: As I said they are soft, but I have shot everything from rockchucks to elk, moose, and caribou with them. If I had to pick one bullet for my .30's this would probably be it. If I knew that some day brown bear or grizzly would be on the menu, I would go with my other favorite the 200 grain Nosler Part. :wink:

I see you are from Pittsburg, Pa. We just visited Pa. for a few days. Hunted some turkey and phesants. Didn't stay for deer season. The buck/doe season together has ruined the hunting for me. So I will pass. May make it up to South Dak.for whitetails next week. Good luck with the .300 loads. It is one of my favorites, and one of the most accurate rifles I have. :wink:

13. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

Wyo,
    Thanks for the reply :D

I'm using the SPBTs.
    I experimented with RL25 and got 3330 over a chronograph @ about 5yds from the bench with the same bullets.
    My barrel is 24" so I don't really expect to get the same velosity as you can from a 26".

My fear is that I'll get a shot at a deer @ about 20' and just have the thing explode if I load it too hot :!: :shock:
    I do like the venison. :?

I'm actually debating on stepping up to 180gr or even 220gr and lighten the load to make a big hole, but not shock the whole animal......

I'd actually like to be able to pick a bullet that will work equally well out of a .308 for deer. :?

I'm not very happy about the early black powder doe season as well as the concurrent doe/buck season ether. :evil:

I'm taking my 12yr old out this year near my parent's house (about halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie) and there seem to be very few deer left around there. And fewer places to hunt that aren't posted. :(

I hope you had luck with the birds.

14. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

:D What was your load of Re25? I have some from my experiments with the Ultra, but never tried it in anything else. I must have a couple pounds or so. Would like to find a use for it. :wink:

15. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

:D I used 89gr of the RL25.
    Using that much at a time, a pound didn't last very long. :cry:

I fill the cases from my benchmounted powder dispenser. It pretty much fills the case. I then dump the case onto my scales and trickle the last few granules of power to get to consistant weight. When I dump the powder back into the case via a funnel and it settles down in better. It still ends up being a slightly compressed load.

I also use CCI 250 magnum primers.
    I know that Weatherby recommends the Federal 215, but I saw a chart somewhere that showed this CCI and the Federal to be comperable.

It kicks noticably more than my 73gr load of IMR 4350. :shock:

My Lyman 48th ed. reloading manual shows starting at 85.5gr/3114fps and a max of 90.0/3445fps.
    This load is listed as for the Nosler Balistic tip 165gr, but I thought that the Sierra 165 would be close enough to use this load.
    The book lists their test gun as a Mk V with 26" barrel.

16. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

:D Zerbe, thanks. I haven't bought a new reloading book for 15 years, maybe longer. I'll give this a try. I usually stick with H4895, Reloader 19 & 22, and IMR4350. Have most of my loads with these so really had little need for a new book. 8) If you get that 308, you should load that .300 wea. with the faster load that you tried. We used to get some longer shots on old strip mines, and clear cuts across the river in Clearfield county. Those .300's were great for that, but for 80 percent of Pa.'s deer hunting the .308 would be fine. Uglydog about has me convinced to build a .300 Savage bolt gun for this style of hunting. But since my hunts in this kind of country will probably not be many in the future, I am kind of hesitating. :oops: Have a great deer season. Are you going for bear Monday?? :wink:

17. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

Wyo,
    :D No prob on the load info.
    My family and I shot nothing but 6mm, .243, & .270 for many years and used IMR4350 for all of them. I just was looking in my book and saw that the highest velosity listed for the 300wby was with the Reloader 25 so I thought I'd give it a try. 8)

I had the same thought on using the .308 pump for the woods & keeping the fast load for the wby for more open areas. (I had put a 5-15x scope on it anyway.) Although several of the old "strip mines" that I used to hunt on are now "woods" :!: :!:
    I guess that was about 25-30yrs ago..... :oops:

Hmm.. a nice 300 Savage with a relatively short barrel would be ideal for this type of hunting :idea:
    Do you really already have "enough" guns in your safe? :lol:

I only get so much vacation time so bear hunting is out for me this year. :(
    In the early muzzle loader doe season, I chased a momma and three cubs to my dad who was in my deer stand.
    She walked up to the base of the stand past the ladder and dissapeared from sight. My dad looked over the railing to see where she went to see her standing up looking right back at him. He could have reached over the railing and "shook hands" :!: :shock: :shock:
    If she had stood there any longer, he could have read the numbers on the metal game commission tracking tag in her ear! :!:

:D He'll be out with his Marlin 45-70 "guide gun" on Monday :D :!: :!:

18. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

:D Well, good luck to your dad on the bear hunt. my safe is pretty full, but there is always room for one more I guess. :wink: Nice visiting. :wink: :wink:

19. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

Wyo,
    I got the 760 .308 today. There's no wear on the metal at all. The trigger seems a tad stiff for my tastes, but then it wasn't meant to be a benchrest gun.

The only thing that bothers me at all about it is the fact that it was shot at a range about 12 yrs ago and put away dirty. I just got done cleaning the bore with some #9. There are still a couple of dull spots in the bore, but it doesn't look like its pitted anywhere.

It came with a couple of boxes of handloaded Sierra 165gr hollowpoints.

I'm thinking that might just be the bullet for me for both the .308 and the 300wby. In looking in my loading book, I don't think that the .308 can be loaded quite as light as the 300 Savage you were considering.