.308 and first bolt action

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by KaBar, May 23, 2005.

1. KaBar

KaBar Guest

I'm seriously thinking about getting my first bolt action in .308 and am looking for some other opinions. The two rifles that I am thinking about right now are both Remington 700s but one is this years and final Classic and the other is the SPS. Does anyone have any other suggestions in the same price range ($400-$500). What kind of groups could I come to expect on average. 1"-2" groups sound about right at 100yrds? I will end up reloading sometime soon. I am just waiting on a friend to have some free time to teach me. I'll probably put a Leupold 3-9x40/50 or a 4-12x40/50. How does this all sound? Thanks for the opinions!

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Kabar,

The 700 is about as good a choice as there is. 1-2" at 100 yds is probable and under 1" is likely! I've got an old 788 that gives me under 1" regularly. Either of the 2 scope powers will be just fine.Personally, I would go with the 4-12x40. If you go with a scope with a large objective lens,you have to get higher mounts,thus causing you to not stay down on the stock.

Good luck!

HWD

3. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Re: re: .308 and first bolt action

Good thinking. I'll definately stick with a 40 objective lens then. What about adjustable objective, would you say spend the extra money and get it or there is no real reason to buy it?

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Not knocking the Rems (they are fine firearms and I own a couple) but consider Savage. Some folks don't care for the looks but they are invariably excellent shooters, easy on the budget, and the user adjustable Accutrigger is fantastic. The new Stevens 200 (around 260 retail, no accutrigger) seems to be getting high marks from folks who own them and I am tempted myself to get one.

1-2" groups are an overall average for most firearms but you should be able to do better by testing different brands/weights and finding what your particular firearm likes best, handloading will likely allow you to dial in and really get the most performance accuracy wise.

Kbar and HWD give sage advice on the scopes. The 50mm objective does give a slight advantage in its ability to give a better picture in lower light but does need the high mounts.

Safe shooting.

Safe shooting

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

If all you're gonna do is punch paper or shoot long-range varmints (where you have a lot of time to make the shot), then the AO is fine, though you can still get by without it. If it's going to be used for deer hunting or something similar, then forget about the adjustable objective - you don't have time to focus the scope before you make the shot.

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Kabar,

I own three scopes that have the adjustable objective. While on the bench they work great. In the woods or in hunting situations,they're about useless,at least where I hunt. If I hunted where I had a long time to consider my shots and was shooting longer distances,maybe.

Mountainveiw,

The only thing that I don't like about the Savage is how thick it feels thru the action area. I prefer a thinner action. This,like the fit of a shotgun, is all personal preference. Who knows,my preferences may change yet.
    The Savage has a better price and the "new" trigger is getting rave reveiws. Accuracy has never been a problem with any that I've shot.

HWD

7. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

whichever rifle would work thats a decision only you can make especially since they are so similar and most of ur decision is aesthetics of the rifle but onto the scope personally I would go w/ a 3-9x it depends what ur using it for if it was just for deer go w/ the 3-9 youll never need more than that if its for coyotes varmints whatever you feel like shootin then go w/ the 4-12 since you may be shooting further especially for yotes as for objective size i prefer the smaller 40 it saves on weight is usually cheaper and doesnt have to have high mounts and can be mounted closer to the rifle which the closer you can get your scope to your rifle the more accurate it will be it also saves weight and I dont take alot of shots in low light if you plan on alot of low light shots go w/ the 50 it will give you those few extra minutes edge. I hope this helps let us know what you end up w/

Aaron

8. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Waite a minute friends! Don't forget about Winchester 70 Classic. They are a fine guns worth taking a look at.Browning A-bolt is another one.

9. wwb

wwb Super Member

Let's not forget the Ruger 77, either. Any of the bolt guns mentioned here are well-made, reasonably priced firearms. You couldn't go wrong with any of them. Regardless of the make, choose the style based on what you're going to use it for.... target/varmint gun, compact (sometimes called a lightweight or a mountain rifle), synthetic/stainless, or standard model.

10. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

Regarding the Ruger 77 - I've read/been told that their trigger is the worst. Any truth to that? As for the Savage, I agree that they are a little thick in the action/palm area. However, I've been looking at a nice SS laminated one. In 308 for a hunting rifle, I think it would be good gun. ...And just as good from the bench too.

11. KaBar

KaBar Guest

The Savage would be my other choice for a rifle but their stocks just feel and look so cheap to me. I'm thinking I'll go with a wood stock and do my best to take care of it. Do the Classic go up in value more so than any of the other 700s, since less of them are made? Or do their values go up about the same as any other 700?

Thanks for all the info so far. I've started to look at the Winchester too now. I always see people want the pre 64 rifles what is the reason behind this? Would a new Winchester not be a good choice? One last thing can the pre 64s handle modern loads?

12. wwb

wwb Super Member

It's no worse (or no better) than the triggers on the current production Win 70 or Rem 700. There is some variation from one rifle to the next, but they're all WAY worse than they were 25 years ago. Thank your local lawyer for that.

The new Savage accu-trigger is almost as good as the old days... it's light and pretty crisp - just a very slight creep on the two I've tried.

On the subject of the Ruger 77 trigger, check this thread in the Sturm, Ruger section.....

https://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=289

13. wired

wired Guest

I've got the Ruger M77 (just happens to be .308! ), and I think the trigger is absolutely wonderful. It is a bit heavy, but I like a little heavier trigger for hunting. It is a very clean break, which IS important. They must have improved things, because from what I've seen, a lot of older Rugers had crappy triggers. My brother-in-law had to replace an old M77 (got stolen), and was looking into something with a better trigger. He ended up getting a brand new M77 because the trigger was quite a bit better.

Short story: as long as you get one from any of the major manufacturers, you'll be good to go. .308 is a great round, and I think you'll like it. I'll also echo the fixed objective for scopes. Get a fixed, lower-power scope, and be done with it. You don't have to worry about "running into" your prey, shouldering your rifle quickly, only to find that your scope is in "magnifying glass" mode.

14. RWH24

RWH24 Guest

:idea: Tikka T-3 or the Howa 1500 :wink:

Both Great Guns :wink:

15. mak48

mak48 Guest

I own a ruger m77 mkII in .30-06 and love it. bought it new for $450 and its great. it shoots sub M.O.A. consistantly and its reliable. not that there is a truly unreliable bolt action out there. As far as the trigger goes, mines heavy heavy but its clean and I seem to shoot well with it.
    Remington makes a fine gun to but its all chevy dodge ford.
    I'd say brownings ford because I've seen its toughness but a bad experience and ruger pride has made me to stubborn to buy another. Good Luck