.308 for long range?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 870 ExpressMag, Jun 23, 2005.

1. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i live near camp perry ohio and i work at an airport for american airlines so when the national matches are at camp perry i see a lot of nice rifles come through the airport...my question is...for the 1000 yd competitions..why do they use .308? ballistics tables that i had read show they drop around 50 or so inches at 500 yds....thats going to more than double at 1000 i would think.....if thats the case how much hold over do they have to hold in order to lob the bullet that far? i guess this is just something that has always made me curious..and even more so now since i just ordered a .308 barrel for my h and r....

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

The "drop" has nothing to do with it. There isn't a rifle made that shoots "flat" to 1000 yards.

Once you have the rifle sighted in for the range you're shooting (or you have a scope reticle that lets you figure the "hold over"), you can hit the target. Now what you want is a rifle that shoots the same every time, and has a projectile that's relatively immune to the wind.

A lot of the guys that shoot at Camp Perry don't shoot .308 rifles.... they shoot .223 rifles. The .223's, however, are not your garden variety AR. They have 1:7 or 1:8 twist heavy barrels, and they typically shoot 75 grain bullets.

3. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, .308 is an accurate cartridge. At extended ranges, it has shown to be more accurate than the .30-06, which is why the .308 eventually took the high road for service rifle competitions. A lot of .223s shoot very accurately as well, and the last I heard, they're starting to take the high road over the .308. Since they're both so popular, they're both offered in a plethora of bullet types and loads, plus the price isn't half bad. They're two of my all-time favorite cartridges. Enjoy the .308!

4. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

my next question is what type of optics do they use and magnification?? some i know use open sights or peep sights..how do you consistantly shoot such tight groups with open sights at that far away..that about almost 3/4 mile!

5. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: .308 for long range?

All the open sights that people use for long-range shooting are aperture-type sights, typically match-grade. Some have aperture rear and post front (like most of the US service rifles have). Match grade ones have a smaller aperture and a thinner front post, plus they are more adjustable (1/2 MOA, though I've seen a case or two of 1/4 MOA). Some have aperture on front and rear. You'll want a small rear and large front to do this, to get the best sight picture. Fulton Armory sells some really good books covering all this (I've got them). I like the aperture rear and post front, myself.

As for scopes, they're typically high-magnification scopes with 1/2 MOA or 1/4 MOA adjustment. A lot of them have reticles that help with bullet drop calculation. They're all expensive as all hell, and worth every penny in such a situation. Zeiss, Swarovski, Burris, Springfield, and all the other big names. You won't find any Simmons scopes on these things. A buddy of mine shoots .50cal Barretts in the Air Force, and they put Kahles scopes on the ones he shoots. Takes a lickin from .50BMG, and keeps driving tacks. That should say enough about those.