.308 or 30.06 for T/C Encore?

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by soonerpgh, Nov 20, 2005.

1. soonerpgh

soonerpgh Guest

I've got an Encore with the .209x.50 barrel on it. I'm thinking of adding a barrel, scope, etc. These are the two calibers I am looking at. Given the costof the barrels, I could just buy another rifle. What do you fellows think?

2. wired

wired Guest

I would get one of those barrels, and then buy another rifle anyway. You'd be using the same rifle if you got another barrel, so you'd be very familiar with it and could just swap barrels for different uses.

Between the two barrels, ask yourself what you'd be using it for the most. If you'll be mostly target shooting or using bullets smaller than 180 grain, go with the .308, otherwise go with the -06.

3. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I like both these calibrs, but for more versatility go with the 06. I also bought an Encore 50 cal ML and bought a 7 mag barrel to go with it. Love this gun in both configurations.

4. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

5. soonerpgh

soonerpgh Guest

I love the gun. It really is hard to beat considering all the options available for it. However, I cannot afford to do everything I want to...maybe if I win the lottery or something. I'm torn between the two. It seems to me that the 06 would have more options available for reloads, etc., but the .308 would have almost as many options and would be easier on the shoulder.

6. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Thats not all true. I have both of these calibers and cannot tell that much differance between them.

7. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: .308 or 30.06 for T/C Encore?

Exactly. Between the .308 and the .30-06, you pretty much have to use a benchrest setup with chronos and the works to really see a whole hell of a lot of difference with the lighter bullets. However, once you get above a certain weight of bullet, the .308 just doesn't have the case capacity for the job. Basically, if I'm gonna be shooting 200+ grain projectiles out of either one, the -06 gets my nod every time. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I'm hoping to get a TC with muzzle loader barrel before next season and am looking at the same barrel selection you described,I want to get the stainless setup and will most likely go with 30/06 due to the fact that I have sold my dies with my 308 and still have my 30/06 dies,other than that I would have no problem with 308.Drop-Shot

9. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I promise you DS, you will love the Encore ML. Yes do buy an extra barrel.I got mine and then bought a 7mm mag barrel the next year.

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point I have never seen a Encore that wasn't accurate,what kind of groups does your 7mm mag shoot?Drop-Shot

11. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I load 59 gr of IMR 4350, CCI 250 PRIMER, Speer 145 gr hotcore BT bullets. They perform great in my gun. When I first tried this load, I didn't expect this kind of accuracy I got. It being my first load for this barrel I was sure it was going to take more time to perfect a load. I hit it the first time.

three shot groups:1 1/4'', 1'', 7/8''..The 1 1/4'' was the last round

12. Maser

Maser Super Member

most all single shot rifles are very accurate

13. soonerpgh

soonerpgh Guest

The T/C set-up is great. All a fellow needs is enough cash to create just about any gun you need/want as long as you only need one shot. So far, I have only the 209x50, but that will change soon.

Hey, would you believe I got this gun in trade for an old, broken-down '79 Ford truck with a busted radiator and blown head gasket?

14. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Sooner, I think it is the way to go if you have the M/L barrel. It makes it that more versitile (sp)

15. soonerpgh

soonerpgh Guest

I agree with you, 8point. That is why I said it would change soon.